Would you have said something - ladies commenting on my hair

Avaya

So I got my "hair did" Friday :grin:. While my beautician was blow drying my hair, some ladies sitting under the dryer not to far from us were saying "She got a lot of hair" (about me) repeatedly. (not in a bad way)

I was thinking to myself, should I say thank you? Should I just ignore them and pretend not to hear? I wasn't sure what to do????

I mean, #1, they said SHE got a lot of hair not YOU have a lot of hair so technically, they weren't even talking to me. Secondly, saying "thank you" to someone that says you have a lot of hair is like saying thank you to a person that says your dress is blue. It's not so much a compliment as it is an observation.

So, I decided to act like a dumb, blind, mute, and said nothing, all the while, try to prevent myself from smiling ear to ear :grin:.

Would you have said anything?

LunadeMiel

So I got my "hair did" Friday :grin:. While my beautician was blow drying my hair, some ladies sitting under the dryer not to far from us were saying "She got a lot of hair" (about me) repeatedly. (not in a bad way)

I was thinking to myself, should I say thank you? Should I just ignore them and pretend not to hear? I wasn't sure what to do????

I mean, #1, they said SHE got a lot of hair not YOU have a lot of hair so technically, they weren't even talking to me. Secondly, saying "thank you" to someone that says you have a lot of hair is like saying thank you to a person that says your dress is blue. It's not so much a compliment as it is an observation.

So, I decided to act like a dumb, blind, mute, and said nothing, all the while, try to prevent myself from smiling ear to ear :grin:.

Would you have said anything?

I think you were right by not responding. If she wanted to give you the compliment she would have addressed you personally :grin:.

candy1214

No...there's no need to say anything. It was an observation of awe I believe. My hair isn't long, but its pretty thick. When I went to get my hair braided at the shop in August the ladies kept commenting on how thick my hair was. I didn't say "thank you" b/c I don't perceive it to be a compliment; just an observation.

But your hair is pretty tho.:grin:

MrsQueeny

No...there's no need to say anything. It was an observation of awe I believe. My hair isn't long, but its pretty thick. When I went to get my hair braided at the shop in August the ladies kept commenting on how thick my hair was. I didn't say "thank you" b/c I don't perceive it to be a compliment; just an observation.

Yup I agree. I get here that comment a lot too. Your hair is pretty Princess.

OT: Girl I was shocked when I saw your hair in your avatar last week. I guess I wasn't paying attention when we met up because at first I thought you had cut it then I read where you said it wasn't yours. :lachen: Q

Yep your hair is gorgeous and nope I wouldn't have said a word.

Whimsy

I'dda turned around and said "if you give me $50 i'll tell you how you can have hair just like this!"

:)

nah i'dda "ignored" it too.

Avaya

I'dda turned around and said "if you give me $50 i'll tell you how you can have hair just like this!"

:)

nah i'dda "ignored" it too.

Hmmm, I am looking for a side gig... Maybe I should bet my "shima" on... :lachen:

Thanks for the compliments ladies!

senimoni

OP sure does have thick purty hair.

:sits down: :taps foot waiting for my thank you:

Seriously, I know what you mean...them "oh your hair has grown" , me "umm thank you"? Its awkward.

trini_rican

Looks like they told the truth! :yep: You have a whole lot of PRETTY hair :grin: You did good not to respond. Sound more like an observation and like someone else said they didn't directly address you. I bet you felt good when you left the salon though.:yawn:

glamazon386

I agree. I always hear the Africans talking about my hair. Usually in french. They don't know that I understand them though. :lol: You did the right thing OP.

*Muffin*

It's so awkward when you can actually hear people making positive comments about you. You want to thank them, but yet they weren't really addressing you, so it's hard to know what to do. Me, I would have done exactly as you did: not say anything at all. If they really wanted a thank you they would have given the compliment to you directly.

aloof one

I agree. I always hear the Africans talking about my hair. Usually in french. They don't know that I understand them though. :lol: You did the right thing OP.

lol i just had a mental picture... too funny
I always hear Africans (and even Indians) talking about me... I wonder if they're asking eachother if Im african then they come up and say "are you african?" lol...