Would you shop in a bss that only sold products made by black owned companies?

Would you shop in a bss that only sold products made by black owned companies?

• yes

Votes: 92 87.6%
  • no

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • maybe

Votes: 10 9.5%

• Total voters

Igotstripes

So this has been a dream of mine for a while lol, after graduating high school, I plan on going to college for business.

I want to have a bss that only sells products made by black owned companies! But now in light of a couple threads, I'm not sure that people would actually shop there.

So would yall shop at a place like that? If not can you tell me why you wouldn't or what would make you want to shop there? Do you think non-lhcf's would shop there? Do you think it would be better if I didn't only sell goods by black owned companies, but if I had like an equal amount of each?

Thanks so much and sorry for all the q's!

Last edited:

faithVA

I would shop there if it was close to me.

I think what you will learn in school is that you have to learn to market to your niche. Will the majority of black women shop in your store? No. But you will learn how many customers you need and what percentage that is of your demographic and you will focus your marketing on reaching that demographic.

It really could be a nice store because it will allow you to branch out beyond just straight hair care and you can have some unique products in your store.

Very exciting.

laylaaa

My wallet doesn't care about politics.. it could be made by Martians for all I care as long as it's a) affordable b) effective 3) accessible online and offline. Oh, and 4) smells nice. Tired of that all natural herbal stank.

edit:

On second thoughts, I probably would if it sold products that are made to work with black hair, nothing to do with the owners. A lot of companies seem to make products designed to work against black hair and make it look more "acceptable" - no matter what damage it causes.

Last edited:

Igotstripes

My wallet doesn't care about politics.. it could be made by Martians for all I care as long as it's a) affordable b) effective 3) accessible online and offline. Oh, and 4) smells nice. Tired of that all natural herbal stank.

edit:

On second thoughts, I probably would if it sold products that are made to work with black hair, nothing to do with the owners. A lot of companies seem to make products designed to work against black hair and make it look more "acceptable" - no matter what damage it causes.

It would be full of products made to help our hair. I would also like to offer hair classes there so people who don't know all about hair can get some info.

If the store was not available online would that be a huge issue?

Ogoma

Yes, I would.

I think Sagenaturaceuticals is a similar concept and they are quite popular.

Amarilles

Oh hell to the yes! The place I go to here (in Montreal) only sells black-owned products actually. Aside from the products, they also do free hair consultations and they do hair. Mostly natural hair since they do not relax.

I think they're very smart with the free hair consultation because it'll get you in there for at least that. Once you're there you're bound to get a product or two, maybe even get your hair done like I did. I was certainly not planning on that but hey! :lol:

Blessed&higlyflavoured

Yaaaassss! that sounds fabulous. I want to do something similar! In the UK, even if the shop didn't sell black made/owned products exclusively, and was owned by an actual BLACK person that would be progress. Most bss are owned by desi people.
Which makes sense since the leading product is BSS is indian remi.

only one thing
Online, no extortionate shipping prices please. Some online companies make profit off the shipping which i feel is unfair... *cough britishcurlies cough*

laylaaa

It would be full of products made to help our hair. I would also like to offer hair classes there so people who don't know all about hair can get some info.

Then I would definitely be a customer, especially with the classes. I think you're onto a winner there. Classes would be amazing. :yep:

Is that the UK Lancaster?

Oh, no. I prefer buying stuff in person but a lot of the products that I prefer aren't sold in brick and mortar shops so I have to order them online from Curl Emporioum, and it's a hassle paying mark-up prices for the same products. Not to mention the waiting around for packages to arrive between "7am to 7pm" etc etc

laylaaa

Online, no extortionate shipping prices please. Some online companies make profit off the shipping which i feel is unfair... *cough britishcurlies cough*

You think the shipping was extortionate... the VAT is just ungodly. I could buy an extra two products for that price smh.

PJaye

For me, it would since I am an avid online shopper.

Igotstripes

Yaaaassss! that sounds fabulous. I want to do something similar! In the UK, even if the shop didn't sell black made/owned products exclusively, and was owned by an actual BLACK person that would be progress. Most bss are owned by desi people.
Which makes sense since the leading product is BSS is indian remi.

only one thing

Great mind think alike lol!
Lol Britain Curlies makes me mad with their shipping. I haven't even seen a bss here yet!

Last edited:

Igotstripes

Then I would definitely be a customer, especially with the classes. I think you're onto a winner there. Classes would be amazing. :yep:

Is that the UK Lancaster?

Oh, no. I prefer buying stuff in person but a lot of the products that I prefer aren't sold in brick and mortar shops so I have to order them online from Curl Emporioum, and it's a hassle paying mark-up prices for the same products. Not to mention the waiting around for packages to arrive between "7am to 7pm" etc etc

Yep I'm in the UK for now, are you here too?? I feel you though, I love buying stuff in person Im really into instant gratification lol

Igotstripes

Oh hell to the yes! The place I go to here (in Montreal) only sells black-owned products actually. Aside from the products, they also do free hair consultations and they do hair. Mostly natural hair since they do not relax.

I think they're very smart with the free hair consultation because it'll get you in there for at least that. Once you're there you're bound to get a product or two, maybe even get your hair done like I did. I was certainly not planning on that but hey! :lol:

That's really smart of them! I Gotta take notes! Lol

Igotstripes

I'm not sure if any relaxed ladies replied but would you guys shop at a place with the word curl in the name? Lol

Sorry for all the quotes I don't know how to multi quote :(

chickory_bee

Not exclusively. I just like products that work, but I will support a minority business so I would do my part, while making sure my hair doesn't go on strike.

NefertariBlu

I would definitely buy from exclusively a bss which sold black made products. The products l use now are 98% black owned and l am quite happy about that. Its about time we support our own put back into people who understand our hair. Yes l sure would as l do now.

I do buy from British curlies as there aren't many products l use that are available on the ground. I hardly go into Asian shops anyway because of how they follow you around the shop. No thanks

Last edited:

luciole

That sounds like a great idea. I would definitely shop there! :yep:

Would you mind sharing the name/address of the store ? I also live in Montreal and would be very interested in a free hair consultation and quality products :yep:

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I would say most if my products are black owned, but my shampoo bar, conditioners and leave-ins are. My heat protectant and sealers are not. Being that my wash day is concentrated on black owned products, which makes me extremely happy since our people still have a way to go, I feel like I am a stepping stone in that cycle. I would definitely purchase from a BSS that sold these. It's about time we are recognized.

Sent from my Gramatically Incorrect iPhone