Would you shop in a bss that only sold products made by black owned companies?

Would you shop in a bss that only sold products made by black owned companies?

• yes

Votes: 92 87.6%
  • no

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • maybe

Votes: 10 9.5%

• Total voters

nakialovesshoes

Even though sometimes I don't have the time to travel to Sage Naturalceuticals, I try my best to buy most of my hair products from there. The selection isn't 100% black owned but Sage is black owned & that's my main reason for trying to support her. Please put a lot of thought into your business practices. I see so many black businesses that could be better if they would just consider things like good customer service, reinvesting into their businesses, etc.

prettyinpurple

You'd definitely have to mix in some brands with cheaper prices to get more ppl in the door. You won't win over regular BSS clients with only higher priced items.

We had a store like that in MD but it closed. Sadness. The store sold a lot of the products that are popular here so I'd say the marjority were black owned. The owner had a hair salon in the back, they sold hair too. I think they did braiding and maybe some natural styles. But she stated that she couldn't depend on the products to keep the business afloat, she needed the salon business too. It just never took off.

She was also located kinda far out in the 'burbs. Cheaper rent I'm sure but it was a hassle to get out there if you didn't live nearby.

ETA: You need to have testers out too, so important!

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Dang, I guess I'm the only one who said no.:look::lol:

Will the store only have natural lines or will they also have regular products with sulfates sillicones and the "bad stuff"

The first thought that came to mind was a store full of scented butters and tea rinses. Its not for me. i dont like my hair smelling like grass,herbs,food and having to lather up 5 times because my shampoo is sulfate free.

Alot of the products I currently like are not made my black companies that are not salon exclusive so I don't see myself shopping there. I am still exploring black companies thought so that may change. I really would like to go to one of those big hair shows to see whats out there.

greenandchic

Will the store only have natural lines or will they also have regular products with sulfates sillicones and the "bad stuff"

The first thought that came to mind was a store full of scented butters and tea rinses. Its not for me. i dont like my hair smelling like grass,herbs,food and having to lather up 5 times because my shampoo is sulfate free.

Alot of the products I currently like are not made my black companies that are not salon exclusive so I don't see myself shopping there. I am still exploring black companies thought so that may change. I really would like to go to one of those big hair shows to see whats out there.

I was thinking that too though I use mostly "good" products. The problem is, all of the black owned companies that make black hair care products are small business, and because we already have Procter & Gamble, L'Oreal, Alberto-Culver, etc making all the sulfates, parabens and relaxer type products the market was wide open for those who are looking for an alternative. Two of the largest black owned companies I can think of is Carol's Daughter and Curve/Miss Jessie's and that's not saying much.

I wonder if we can have our own black owned hair care empire, but I'm afraid that ship has sailed. If we were to get in, we should have started 40+ years ago (and not sell out!) but I may be just to pessimistic.

faithVA

If we look at all black-owned, and not just those producing natural products we have Johnson Products, Luster Products, Dudley Products, Bronner Bros and probably a few more. So there isn't a shortage.

greenandchic

If we look at all black-owned, and not just those producing natural products we have Johnson Products, Luster Products, Dudley Products, Bronner Bros and probably a few more. So there isn't a shortage.

I had no idea Luster was black owned!

faithVA

^^There may not be a lot of large black owned companies but there are more black owned hair companies than we imagine. She would have no problem stocking her store, especially if she supplemented hair products with other related items.

Here is one of the links showing black owned hair companies; some known, some not

http://madamenoire.com/103958/10-african-american-entrepreneurs-in-the-black-hair-product-business/

It's nice because it puts a face to the names. It was nice to see the owner of Kimble.

BraunSugar

Definitely, and I think a lot of other people would too. A lot of people already think that they products they purchase for "Black hair" are made by Black companies, so I doubt that you'd have an issue with customer base as far as that is concerned.

Igotstripes

Even though sometimes I don't have the time to travel to Sage Naturalceuticals, I try my best to buy most of my hair products from there. The selection isn't 100% black owned but Sage is black owned & that's my main reason for trying to support her. Please put a lot of thought into your business practices. I see so many black businesses that could be better if they would just consider things like good customer service, reinvesting into their businesses, etc.

I will put a lot of thought into that! I love shopping but I hate when the workers/owners are super rude -.- I think I will a good customer service person :yep: lol but what do you mean by reinvesting into the business? like upgrades and things like that?

You'd definitely have to mix in some brands with cheaper prices to get more ppl in the door. You won't win over regular BSS clients with only higher priced items.

We had a store like that in MD but it closed. Sadness. The store sold a lot of the products that are popular here so I'd say the marjority were black owned. The owner had a hair salon in the back, they sold hair too. I think they did braiding and maybe some natural styles. But she stated that she couldn't depend on the products to keep the business afloat, she needed the salon business too. It just never took off.

She was also located kinda far out in the 'burbs. Cheaper rent I'm sure but it was a hassle to get out there if you didn't live nearby.

ETA: You need to have testers out too, so important!

Gotcha! My goal is to keep it pretty affordable so not everything will be expensive. Since I can't depend on products I guess I have to find a complement business for the main one. I can't do other people's hair, scalps freak me out lol. I have to figure that out! Didn't even think of that. Thanks! I was also thinking I'd be in a a more city like area than in the burbs so I would be easier to get to plus I would get more foot traffic

It will still have regular products as long as they are owned by a black person lol. And I'm not a fan of the aforementioned smells either lol.

Here is one of the links showing black owned hair companies; some known, some not

http://madamenoire.com/103958/10-african-american-entrepreneurs-in-the-black-hair-product-business/

It's nice because it puts a face to the names. It was nice to see the owner of Kimble.

Thanks so much for this link, off to check it out!!

Last edited:

Igotstripes

Definitely, and I think a lot of other people would too. A lot of people already think that they products they purchase for "Black hair" are made by Black companies, so I doubt that you'd have an issue with customer base as far as that is concerned.

I was one of those people before i found the forums lol

Shelew

I think my joy would be in knowing it was owned by a black woman. I of course would shop there especially if the products work. You may be limiting your customer base by not offering other products that we may be use to though. I think the winning part would be that you own it

andromeda

Absolutely. I currently buy most of my on-the-ground hair and body stuff from a black-owned store that only sells black-owned items. They aren't a full-fledged bss, though.

sharice

So let me get this straight if someone who wasn't black created a hair care line that only had "good stuff in it and worked wonderfully on our hair, you wouldn't try/use it just cause the maker was white/asian/hispanic,etc? sounds kinda racist to me. just my two cents

Igotstripes

I think my joy would be in knowing it was owned by a black woman. I of course would shop there especially if the products work. You may be limiting your customer base by not offering other products that we may be use to though. I think the winning part would be that you own it

So should I mix it up a bit? Maybe just the majority black owned with a little of other things?

Igotstripes

So let me get this straight if someone who wasn't black created a hair care line that only had "good stuff in it and worked wonderfully on our hair, you wouldn't try/use it just cause the maker was white/asian/hispanic,etc? sounds kinda racist to me. just my two cents

I'm not trying to be racist, I just wanna support bobs, keep the money in our community and do something I love! Besides they probably wouldn't have any problem getting on someone else's shelf . Bobs who have products with great ingredients don't always get that chance. Hope I'm phrasing it right :/

Ogoma

I'm not trying to be racist, I just wanna support bobs, keep the money in our community and do something I love! Besides they probably wouldn't have any problem getting on someone else's shelf . Bobs who have products with great ingredients don't always get that chance. Hope I'm phrasing it right :/

You are phrasing it right and anyone with two brain cells wouldn't even have asked that stupid question. I see stores here stocked to the brim with products made by white or Asian companies and no one is running in there calling them racist. But, trying to support and encourage good black entrepreneurs is somehow deemed racist because the end result is economic independence and greater wealth for black families and some people, consciously or subconsciously, don't want to see that.

heirloom

For me it wouldn't matter who made the products as long as they worked for my hair. But what I would like is a shop owned by someone that knew what they were talking about when it comes to black products, so if I felt the need to try something new or which products work well together they could advise me

NIN4eva

I'm not sure if any relaxed ladies replied but would you guys shop at a place with the word curl in the name? Lol

Sorry for all the quotes I don't know how to multi quote :(

Yep! "Curl" products = moisture, and that's right up my alley! :yep: