Wow...it's funny how times

babygirl_00

have changed. Growing up as a child my moms’ hair rule was to wash your hair once every two weeks. I remember, the wash day we would call it, would take all day…She would wash it then condition our hair with eggs, mayo and sometimes beer. Then she would plat our hair and send us out side to play till our hair dried…lol then the pressing started. She would use Vaseline to press our hair and that press would hold for two weeks sometimes three. … Now we co-wash maybe 2 to 3 times a week and do our best not to use heat often….Man how times have changed.

LushLox

I remember the hot comb well. You wouldn't need to glide it across the hair several times like some of these modern straighteners; once was more than enough. That comb got so hot I'm surprised I kept the hair I did!

that_1_grrrl

I don't think your mom's regimen was that bad. It was very low manipulation. She had you airdry instead of using a blow dryer and the hot comb.

ceebee3

LOL! I remember wash day. I hated it because after my wash and condition it was cornrow time. My mom's friend would braid my hair every week or two and she braided so tight. I had a lot of hair and she would do small thin braids that would stay neat until the next time. I never went through the hot comb thing, thank goodness.

MsChelle

have changed. Growing up as a child my moms’ hair rule was to wash your hair once every two weeks. I remember, the wash day we would call it, would take all day…She would wash it then condition our hair with eggs, mayo and sometimes beer. Then she would plat our hair and send us out side to play till our hair dried…lol then the pressing started. She would use Vaseline to press our hair and that press would hold for two weeks sometimes three. … Now we co-wash maybe 2 to 3 times a week and do our best not to use heat often….Man how times have changed.

Wow! OUr moms must have read the same rule book on hair!!! I thought I was the only child getting a beer bath on my hair!!! :lachen:

Poranges

Positive Vibrations
So True, but my mom knew how to take care of it, they would wash it, blow dry and then braid, and I had a long Afro so it must've been working...then I got tired of the pressing comb and found hair dyes and relaxers...and now I'm here :lol: I can't blame nothing on my moms...

babygirl_00

Right!!! I remember one time sticking my tongue out trying to taste it:lachen:….

I guess your right rosie8604, it was all about low manipulation. What I can’t remember was how I tied my hair up at night. I do remember my scarf I just can’t remember if my hair was in brads or not…I do no there was no rubber bands in my hair.

Funny, My hair stayed bra strap length the whole time I was in grade school and middle school…then I the feather hair style came into the 80's