WOW....ONIONS ANYONE!!!!!

netnet26

Hey Ladies....since we were all talking about foods that increased hair growth...I decided to do a lil research and I stumbled upon this:

Onion as a remedy for hair loss is a type of old herbal folk medicine that is still being used today. In fact, onion juice is an ingredient in several topical hair growth lotions currently on the market. Our early ancestors valued onions for it's medicinal properties. During the Middle Ages when our medicines came from nature, physicians prescribed onions for many purposes such as headache, earache, snakebite and to combat hair loss. Patients experiencing hair loss were advised to cut a raw onion in half and rub it on scalp, or to extract the juice by grating the onion finely, then rubbing the juice into the scalp.

Perhaps the reason onion is valued for hair is because of it's high sulphur content. Sulphur is known as the "beauty mineral." Sulphur is necessary for formation of collagen and for the maintenance of the skin, hair, and nails. Dry skin, brittle hair, hair loss and weak nails could be a sign of sulfur deficiency.

A study from Department of Dermatology and Venereology, Baghdad Teaching Hospital, Iraq, tested the effectiveness of topical crude onion juice in the treatment of alopecia areata. The group using the onion juice had success in 73% of persons tested in comparison to 13% of the group using tap water. This study was published in the Journal of Dermatology, June 2002.

Several varieties of the original treatment are as follows:
Add small pieces of a medium sized onion to a cup of rum. Leave for 24 hours. Remove the onion pieces and massage your scalp with the rum.

Place ½ cup chopped onion and ½ cup dried nettle in a container. Add vodka to cover. After a few days strain liquid and apply to scalp.

Combine ¼ onion juice with one TBS honey. Massage into scalp daily.
The following recipe is from Heinerman's Encyclopedia of Fruits, Vegetables and Herbs (Parker 1988) It uses onion skins to make a hair rinse. This recipe claims to make your hair super shiny and soft and to enhance color.
Collect clean dry golden or brown onionskins in a brown paper bag until you have 2 ½ cups lightly packed. Steep the skins in 1 quart of boiled water for 50 minutes. After washing hair, briefly towel dry and rinse several times with onionskin mixture, then rinse with plain water.

Onion is still being used today for many medicinal purposes, including hair loss. It's antibacterial, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, circulatory and anti-oxidant properties make it a highly valued food source that can be used both internally and externally for healing purposes.

Adding onion to the diet will help supply hair with many important nutrients, health producing phytochemicals and antioxidants.

Interesting I thought....still intrigued by the info so I decided to google onion juice....and what da ya know... they actually have an ONION BEVERAGE!!:yep:

http://www.alibaba.com/catalog/10396679/Onion_beverage_Onion_Juice_.html

I think I will try some of these hair recipes..and buy a few botles of the onion drink and mix it w/ my ACV rinses...I think that would mesh very well...Better yet we should have an ONION Challenge!!!!...and see how much growth we can get from drinking, eating and topically appying onions to our reggie for 6 months.....:yep: Dont worry ladies the onion drink is odorless..No onion breath..:grin:

Sorry for the long post...I got excited!!!:yep::spinning:

Nonie

When I used to do Yoga religiously, I do recall onion juice being recommended for good hair growth. I couldn't bring myself to drink water in which onions had been boiled, so I just eat onions (cooked not raw). I've never used them topically though.

netnet26

When I used to do Yoga religiously, I do recall onion juice being recommended for good hair growth. I couldn't bring myself to drink water in which onions had been boiled, so I just eat onions (cooked not raw). I've never used them topically though.

Me either...but I would mix it w/ my AVC rinses...also Im thinking that when mix w/ alcohol it will pretty much take away the smell....im thinking:yep:....also the drink is tasteless so it might not be so bad...:yep:..any one else tried onions topically or tried this drink....?

Lakshmi S

onions for hair growth is an old ayurvedic tradition. especially if your hair is thin. this is according to ancient stories. i don't know anyone personally who has used onions. I personally couldn't bring myself to use it on my scalp. I guess it is the fear of smelling like old onions freaked me out. but when i think about "garlic" shampoo i never smell it on anyone. and i do use mustard oil and acv rinses at times i don't smell like these things. who knows maybe one day i will give it a try topically.

Om Namah Shivaye

almondjoi85

The sulfur in onions would explain gas after eating chips and onion dip! :blush::lachen:But I dont think I'd put it on my head....too scared to smell like an onion all day.

lnana04

I've heard of this before. On a talk show yeeaaarrrs ago when I was little, I'm assuming they had an episode on natural remedies. Well on the show, there was a guy who was bald and someone rubbed onion all over his head for growth. The next time they showed him--I guess it was an update--he had hair.

Golden

I have a friend from Bangladesh, that told me that they do this in her home country. She did say that it speeds up growth, but that it's mostly aids in gaining thickness

EMJazzy

Happily retired
I'm going to try it topically on my thin spots at night ONLY then co-wash it out in the morning to avoid smelling like onions :lol: and see if it actually works. :scratchch :sekret:

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
I eat my share raw onions daily:lick:. I think I want to try it as well on my thinning edges:yep:.Don't think I can do it before bed time though, my SO will kill me if I come to bed smelling like an Onionhead:lachen:

bzb1990

3b/3c. henna/cassia.
Hey Ladies....since we were all talking about foods that increased hair growth...I decided to do a lil research and I stumbled upon this:

Onion as a remedy for hair loss is a type of old herbal folk medicine that is still being used today. In fact, onion juice is an ingredient in several topical hair growth lotions currently on the market. Our early ancestors valued onions for it's medicinal properties. During the Middle Ages when our medicines came from nature, physicians prescribed onions for many purposes such as headache, earache, snakebite and to combat hair loss. Patients experiencing hair loss were advised to cut a raw onion in half and rub it on scalp, or to extract the juice by grating the onion finely, then rubbing the juice into the scalp.

Perhaps the reason onion is valued for hair is because of it's high sulphur content. Sulphur is known as the "beauty mineral." Sulphur is necessary for formation of collagen and for the maintenance of the skin, hair, and nails. Dry skin, brittle hair, hair loss and weak nails could be a sign of sulfur deficiency.

A study from Department of Dermatology and Venereology, Baghdad Teaching Hospital, Iraq, tested the effectiveness of topical crude onion juice in the treatment of alopecia areata. The group using the onion juice had success in 73% of persons tested in comparison to 13% of the group using tap water. This study was published in the Journal of Dermatology, June 2002.

Several varieties of the original treatment are as follows:
Add small pieces of a medium sized onion to a cup of rum. Leave for 24 hours. Remove the onion pieces and massage your scalp with the rum.

Place ½ cup chopped onion and ½ cup dried nettle in a container. Add vodka to cover. After a few days strain liquid and apply to scalp.

Combine ¼ onion juice with one TBS honey. Massage into scalp daily.
The following recipe is from Heinerman's Encyclopedia of Fruits, Vegetables and Herbs (Parker 1988) It uses onion skins to make a hair rinse. This recipe claims to make your hair super shiny and soft and to enhance color.
Collect clean dry golden or brown onionskins in a brown paper bag until you have 2 ½ cups lightly packed. Steep the skins in 1 quart of boiled water for 50 minutes. After washing hair, briefly towel dry and rinse several times with onionskin mixture, then rinse with plain water.

Onion is still being used today for many medicinal purposes, including hair loss. It's antibacterial, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, circulatory and anti-oxidant properties make it a highly valued food source that can be used both internally and externally for healing purposes.

Adding onion to the diet will help supply hair with many important nutrients, health producing phytochemicals and antioxidants.

Interesting I thought....still intrigued by the info so I decided to google onion juice....and what da ya know... they actually have an ONION BEVERAGE!!:yep:

http://www.alibaba.com/catalog/10396679/Onion_beverage_Onion_Juice_.html

I think I will try some of these hair recipes..and buy a few botles of the onion drink and mix it w/ my ACV rinses...I think that would mesh very well...Better yet we should have an ONION Challenge!!!!...and see how much growth we can get from drinking, eating and topically appying onions to our reggie for 6 months.....:yep: Dont worry ladies the onion drink is odorless..No onion breath..:grin:

Sorry for the long post...I got excited!!!:yep::spinning:
Bump for the recipes

lorr1e1

4C (natural) currently relaxed (Mizani)
I'm not sure I'd fancy smelling of onions in my hair. Is it done with the outer skin?

bzb1990

3b/3c. henna/cassia.
I'm not sure I'd fancy smelling of onions in my hair. Is it done with the outer skin?
They gave recipes for outer skins and the actual item
I know what you mean. I was able to disguise that with neroli oil and that truly gives it a sort of oriental perfume feel . Like spice plus flower...but I would not want to use that any time I know I have to go somewhere. It may dissipate, I don't know. I'm just self-conscious.

lorr1e1

4C (natural) currently relaxed (Mizani)
They gave recipes for outer skins and the actual item
I know what you mean. I was able to disguise that with neroli oil and that truly gives it a sort of oriental perfume feel . Like spice plus flower...but I would not want to use that any time I know I have to go somewhere. It may dissipate, I don't know. I'm just self-conscious.
Ooh can you use neroli oil by itself on hair?

bzb1990

3b/3c. henna/cassia.
Ooh can you use neroli oil by itself on hair?
I wouldn't think so. But I am not an expert.

I have to mention mine is simply 3% neroli in jojoba oil and I used very little, a couple of drops.
Perhaps one can use it lke that, straight, but I've never tried that. This stuff Is expensive, not to mention potent! I would be put off neroli, which would make me sad.

KenyafromCT

onions for hair growth is an old ayurvedic tradition. especially if your hair is thin. this is according to ancient stories. i don't know anyone personally who has used onions. I personally couldn't bring myself to use it on my scalp. I guess it is the fear of smelling like old onions freaked me out. but when i think about "garlic" shampoo i never smell it on anyone. and i do use mustard oil and acv rinses at times i don't smell like these things. who knows maybe one day i will give it a try topically.

Om Namah Shivaye
I’ve been using onion/garlic (cayenne pepper) juice on my scalp for many months now. I use it with my pre-poo(diy flax seed tea with fresh aloe gel and rosemary tea). The onion juice goes on my scalp. The pre-poo for hair. I then sit under the hair steamer for about 30 minutes.

I then shampoo. Deep condition under the hair steamer. Rinse. My already thick hair has definitely thickened up. I use it once a week. The recipe that I use is You Tuber Green Beauty.
Her channel is impeccable and she does an amazing amount of research.

KenyafromCT

I've heard of this before. On a talk show yeeaaarrrs ago when I was little, I'm assuming they had an episode on natural remedies. Well on the show, there was a guy who was bald and someone rubbed onion all over his head for growth. The next time they showed him--I guess it was an update--he had hair.
@KenyafromCT Yes,green beauty has some amazing recipes & she is extremely knowledgeable..Love her channel.

Happy Hair Growing!
She’s so bomb. I’ve learned a ton from her.