“wow Your Hair’s Really Grown!” Stories

aishae

Hi everyone!

So I’ve been bunning since April and plan to check my length at Christmas, hoping for notable length results.

To keep us motivated, please could you share some stories of when your friends, family or even yourself noticed that your hair had gotten longer?

Did you unveil it after a long protective style? Did you get a growth spurt from vitamins, or did the comments start trickling in after x months, etc? Thanks!

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
Well every time I show off my hair growth, they (family) says “all you’re gonna do is cut it back off :lachen: I did do a lot of protective styles, but all of them weren’t long term. The longest I’ve ever kept a style in was a month. I didn’t take any supplements, but I am this time around. I’m taking Neocell Collagen and Vitamin C

growbaby

i always know when my hair is getting long bc people (friends n fam included) comment on how it looks fake. or ask if its fake lol.

just 2 weeks ago i posted this pic and multiple ppl asked if it was a clip on puff :rofl:

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 166

aishae

Well every time I show off my hair growth, they (family) says “all you’re gonna do is cut it back off :lachen: I did do a lot of protective styles, but all of them weren’t long term. The longest I’ve ever kept a style in was a month. I didn’t take any supplements, but I am this time around. I’m taking Neocell Collagen and Vitamin C
Do you feel you consistently retain length with protective styles??

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
When I begged my Sister to take the below pic (on April 13th) for an updated length check, She said "Whoa look at all that hair! WOW Dorie!!" (my nick name).

The next time I will ask her to take a pic is on August 13th for the "2 inches in 4 months challenge". The line on the pic is where I better be in August LOL.

upload_2018-6-5_15-38-19.png

Generally no one ever sees my hair's length:afro:.

FadingDelilah

I've cut my hair twice in the last 2.5 years. For the first year after my second big chop my hair always looked one inch long even though it was growing because all I wore was a wash n go. Well I got bored and did a chunky twist out and decided to wear it out like that for a while. My sister walked in on me while I was twisting my hair up, and when she saw how my one inch coils actually stretched to shoulder length in the back she said, "I had NO idea your hair was that long! It's grown a lot!"

My mom also complains about wanting to put some heat in my hair and do it like "when I was younger," and whenever I wear it out and she sees that it looks different or is longer she just HAS to take pictures. LOL. :2inlove:

aishae

When I begged my Sister to take the below pic (on April 13th) for an updated length check, She said "Whoa look at all that hair! WOW Dorie!!" (my nick name).

The next time I will ask her to take a pic is on August 13th for the "2 inches in 4 months challenge". The line on the pic is where I better be in August LOL.

View attachment 431087

Generally no one ever sees my hair's length:afro:.
Amazing hair! May I ask your starting length and what you hair was like before LHCF?

aishae

I've cut my hair twice in the last 2.5 years. For the first year after my second big chop my hair always looked one inch long even though it was growing because all I wore was a wash n go. Well I got bored and did a chunky twist out and decided to wear it out like that for a while. My sister walked in on me while I was twisting my hair up, and when she saw how my one inch coils actually stretched to shoulder length in the back she said, "I had NO idea your hair was that long! It's grown a lot!"

My mom also complains about wanting to put some heat in my hair and do it like "when I was younger," and whenever I wear it out and she sees that it looks different or is longer she just HAS to take pictures. LOL. :2inlove:
Aww haha, that's so cute that your mum takes pictures. My chin-length bob has grown to the bottom of my neck, which I've noticed, but I get disheartened that no one else seems to notice/comment. Makes me wonder if it's all in my head :perplexed:

FadingDelilah

Aww haha, that's so cute that your mum takes pictures. My chin-length bob has grown to the bottom of my neck, which I've noticed, but I get disheartened that no one else seems to notice/comment. Makes me wonder if it's all in my head :perplexed:

Hair growth is gradual so they probably don't remember it being that short. Especially if its only a few inches of a difference. People don't usually analyze each other that much or remember that much, lol. I am excited for you, however. :2inlove:

FadingDelilah

Btw, have you ever read the "long-haired ladies, can I live vicariously through you?" thread? It's quite satisfying if youre looking for hair inspo. :drool: There is a 2018 version of it too but no one really posts in there. :lachen:I would, I've just literally posted everything I had in me already. LOL.

Garner

i always know when my hair is getting long bc people (friends n fam included) comment on how it looks fake. or ask if its fake lol.

just 2 weeks ago i posted this pic and multiple ppl asked if it was a clip on puff :rofl:
You have some beautiful growth in less than a year's time! Do you wear protective styles most of the time?

aishae

Btw, have you ever read the "long-haired ladies, can I live vicariously through you?" thread? It's quite satisfying if youre looking for hair inspo. :drool: There is a 2018 version of it too but no one really posts in there. :lachen:I would, I've just literally posted everything I had in me already. LOL.
Thanks, i’ll check it out

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
Amazing hair! May I ask your starting length and what you hair was like before LHCF?
Well in 2009 when I was a lurker and decided to join my hair was MBL. I got serious about my journey in 2007-ish. But before my seriousness I had SL hair. After joining I became WL in 2010-11. I ruined it all and restated my journey on 6/5/15 which was my final relaxer. Here I am exactly 3 years later at WL again.

PlanetCybertron

I’ve had quite a few people notice. Anyone I run across since graduating high school. Everyone last remembered me with a pixie since it was for graduation.

Longest I’ve gone with protective styling back to back was....well I’ve always done it. Since I started growing my hair out back in 2014. But I do remember when I damp bunned for well over two years.

My last dye job, I was at this length in 2014 after I got it cut and permed for the first time since being natural
via Imgflip Meme Generator

Damp bunned back to back to back for two years and was at this length somewhere around 2016

Beginning of 2017 was when I started letting my hair down more, and even my mom was like, “So, that’s what’s been hiding in your bun all this time”.

And a life long friend I have, came down to visit from Maryland and was like, “Your dream of long hair has finally come true! Look how long it is, it’s longer than mine!”

Or my husband:

“I live with you and we’ve been married all this time and never noticed how long your hair has gotten since we met.”

And I’ve now taken a liking to two English braids, and I tuck the ends and wrap them back into the braid. It eats up about 75% of my length, but I don’t mind since I’m constantly training at the gym and running around on campus during school days. So everyone will probably forget, and then be surprised in the next couple of years when I decide to let my hair down and it’s longer than they last remembered.

Last edited:

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
my hair isn't even long, but i've grown it from a bald fade to almost APL for the second time in a 3-4 year timespan. so some of my family members/friends are tickled when they haven't seen me in some time, and i've went from scalp length to having what looks like a pretty solid fro.
even now i had an auntie ask me what i was planning to do with my TWA for my wedding, and I was like, ummmm i don't have a TWA anymore, auntie! :lol:
so while i don't feel that my hair growth is that impressive, others around me take notice when i go from amber rose to macy gray in what feels like a short amount of time.

aishae

I’ve had quite a few people notice. Anyone I run across since graduating high school. Everyone last remembered me with a pixie since it was for graduation.

Longest I’ve gone with protective styling back to back was....well I’ve always done it. Since I started growing my hair out back in 2014. But I do remember when I damp bunned for well over two years.

My last dye job, I was at this length in 2014 after I got it cut and permed for the first time since being natural

Damp bunned back to back to back for two years and was at this length somewhere around 2016

Beginning of 2017 was when I started letting my hair down more, and even my mom was like, “So, that’s what’s been hiding in your bun all this time”.

And a life long friend I have, came down to visit from Maryland and was like, “Your dream of long hair has finally come true! Look how long it is, it’s longer than mine!”

Or my husband:

“I live with you and we’ve been married all this time and never noticed how long your hair has gotten since we met.”

And I’ve now taken a liking to two English braids, and I tuck the ends and wrap them back into the braid. It eats up about 75% of my length, but I don’t mind since I’m constantly training at the gym and running around on campus during school days. So everyone will probably forget, and then be surprised in the next couple of years when I decide to let my hair down and it’s longer than they last remembered.
AMAZING growth! I sure hope I get good results like you now that I'm damp bunning. Thanks so much for sharing

aishae

my hair isn't even long, but i've grown it from a bald fade to almost APL for the second time in a 3-4 year timespan. so some of my family members/friends are tickled when they haven't seen me in some time, and i've went from scalp length to having what looks like a pretty solid fro.
even now i had an auntie ask me what i was planning to do with my TWA for my wedding, and I was like, ummmm i don't have a TWA anymore, auntie! :lol:
so while i don't feel that my hair growth is that impressive, others around me take notice when i go from amber rose to macy gray in what feels like a short amount of time.
This is the type of motivation I need. Congrats on your great progress! It might not seem long to you, but APL is long for me considering i've never grown past shoulder length haha

PlanetCybertron

AMAZING growth! I sure hope I get good results like you now that I'm damp bunning. Thanks so much for sharing

Thank you for the kind words!

When damp Bunning, stay on top of your protein treatments though. I’m not sure where your strand thickness lies for your individual hair strands, but if you notice my hemline at the bottom it’s got that “W” shape, because I did keep up with protein treatments maybe every two weeks, I have very fine textured hair that needs a protein treatment at least every 3-5 days, and those older ends would lose their strength integrity and pretty much just stretch out until they broke. I was also detangling with a wide tooth comb back then, but I’ve since then ditched utensils and opted for finger detangling.

If your mid shaft on up doesn’t really need a treatment, at least give your last 4-5 inches of hair an extra treatment whenever you can.

Sarabellam

My lazy day (*cough* everyday) hair is becoming impressive. I often do two normal pigtail braids on my natural 4b/a hair. The braids hang down between APL and BSL. I get this hang time after rebraiding once my hair dries. Sometimes I’ll make a milkmaid hairstyle by taking the pigtail braids and pinning them along the front of my hair.

I’ve gotten complements on both styles. Actually while wearing the braids down I met a very nice women who complemented me but was also very confused. It’s obvious I don’t have the type of kinky hair that makes someone Instagram famous. I have sheen and tight waves not even finger coils. But my hair is so long that my semi stretched styles where my hair in a semi stretched state ( I have extra curls and flyaways galore) has more hang time than most (normal) people’s straight styles. She was clearly thinking either “how long is your hair!?” Or “how did you get your hair to do that!?”

My hair growing up was straight and between chin length and a little past SL. Now some sections of my fully straight hair reaches WHIP length and the top layer is edging towards comfortable WL.

aishae

Thank you for the kind words!

When damp Bunning, stay on top of your protein treatments though. I’m not sure where your strand thickness lies for your individual hair strands, but if you notice my hemline at the bottom it’s got that “W” shape, because I did keep up with protein treatments maybe every two weeks, I have very fine textured hair that needs a protein treatment at least every 3-5 days, and those older ends would lose their strength integrity and pretty much just stretch out until they broke. I was also detangling with a wide tooth comb back then, but I’ve since then ditched utensils and opted for finger detangling.

If your mid shaft on up doesn’t really need a treatment, at least give your last 4-5 inches of hair an extra treatment whenever you can.
Wonderful advice, you may have just saved me from a future setback. Thank you!

growbaby

You have some beautiful growth in less than a year's time! Do you wear protective styles most of the time?
Thank you! Protective styles maybe 8-12 weeks out of the year. I mostly do low manipulation styles like puffs and "twists outs"I haven't really mastered them natural yet lol hence the quotations

GGsKin

No one sees my length because I never wear hair stretched but they do tell me when they notice increased fullness in my wash n go.

Anyway, I straightened my hair the other day and went to visit my friend. She opens the door and is surprised. As I walk in, she starts picking some outdoor debris from my hair and says, 'I love it! Wait, is this a new one? When did you get it?' I turn around to face her and I'm like lol, 'This is my hair!' To be fair, she hasn't seen my hair straight since it was a relaxed crop. It's just passed APL now so I'm looking foward to growing and retaining even longer healthy hair. I see more wig/ weave checks in my future:lol:.

aishae

No one sees my length because I never wear hair stretched but they do tell me when they notice increased fullness in my wash n go.

Anyway, I straightened my hair the other day and went to visit my friend. She opens the door and is surprised. As I walk in, she starts picking some outdoor debris from my hair and says, 'I love it! Wait, is this a new one? When did you get it?' I turn around to face her and I'm like lol, 'This is my hair!' To be fair, she hasn't seen my hair straight since it was a relaxed crop. It's just passed APL now so I'm looking foward to growing and retaining even longer healthy hair. I see more wig/ weave checks in my future:lol:.
oooh, I can't wait until I get weave checked haha! How long did it take you to go from the cropped hair to APL?