Wrapping and length retention

How has wrapping effected your ability to retain length?

• Not all, I wrap all the time and my hair thrives

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • Wrapping has made it harder for me to retain length

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never knew wrapping could effect retention

Votes: 52 44.4%

• Total voters

lexi84

Does wrapping your hair really hurt your ability to retain length? When ever I wear my hair down, I wrap my hair and have no ill effects from it...at least I dont think I do. For years I've heard that this could thin my hair or cause it to break. I switch the direction of my wrap every so often to avoid this from happening, but is this really true? I want your opinions. How has wrapping effected your ability to retail length if at all?

Last edited:

wheezy807

Do you alternate directions? I didn't vote because i don't consider myself a wrapper. I only wrap my hair every 4 months (freshly retouched hair) and then 4 days straight at the most afterwards. But my aunt had WL hair and she claimed she wrapped her hair every night. So i really don't know.

Geminigirl

didn't know it could effect etiher way. As long as your hair is healthy..right? I mean wat about all the long-haired sistas in NY who rock doobies?

lexi84

Do you alternate directions? I didn't vote because i don't consider myself a wrapper. I only wrap my hair every 4 months (freshly retouched hair) and then 4 days straight at the most afterwards. But my aunt had WL hair and she claimed she wrapped her hair every night. So i really don't know.

Yes I do and honestly wrapping hasnt hurt my hair since I've found out about proper hair care. Back in the day, my left side stayed shorter than the right because of wrapping so thats why I alternate directions. But I'm still wondering if wrapping in general can hurt my progress even though I have a healthy regimen now. :nono:

Come on ladies I need more opinions, please!!!:grin:

Solitude

I have been in LOVE with wrapping my hair for years, I mean like the past 10 years since my hair has been relaxed. I think that combined with flat-ironing, it hurt my hair. Basically, it seemed for the longest time like one side of my hair was growing faster than the other! :wallbash: This meant a lot t of unnecessary trims & I couldn't figure out why. I also think it affected the middle of my hair which grows soooo slowly. However, I did not change directions!

I think it's ok as long as you religiously alternate directions & limit heat styling all together, but...I'm not going to wrap as much anymore.

I'm going to experiment with pin curls, soft rollers, and other wrapping alternatives.

bermudabeauty

For me it definately did. Everytime I would try to wrap my hair it seemed like I was popping my hair off. I also don't like wrapping my hair because it seems to take the body out of my hair. I like my hair to have alot of body.

nomoweavesfome

I don't have any problems. The key is to have healthy ends so you don't chance snagging or ripping your hair. I don't wrap everyday , but I do al least 2 weeks out of 10- 12.

jerseyjill

For me it definately did. Everytime I would try to wrap my hair it seemed like I was popping my hair off. I also don't like wrapping my hair because it seems to take the body out of my hair. I like my hair to have alot of body.

Exactly. I think it is the bobby pins. You must spend money and get the good ones. The $1 ones you can see the plastic coat ing wearing off and that TEARS your hair up.
Bermuda,
It flattened my hair as well. I hated that.

JaszG

I wrap my hair just about every night, and it helps to keep my ends from breaking off. I haven't had a problem retaining length from wrapping hair, and I hope it doesn't become an issue.

Solitude

about bobby pins....

After a year or so, I was like a wrapping expert. I never needed bobby pins, even when my hair was past shoulder length & when it was cut into a bob. I don't even need a brush, just a wide-tooth comb. So, IMO bobby pins aren't really the issue.

......but I was just thinking about this girl at my church who has waist-length hair and she wraps it in like 1 minute with no bobby pins. Of course, she has no visible damage, so wrapping is certainly not a problem for everyone.

SimpleKomplexity

I don't know. Most say wrapping will take your hair out, but I've had experiences with it. It hasn't thinned out my hair, but I know one side of my edges are thinner than the other side, but I have no idea why.

Lately though I've stopped wrapping my hair. I just roll it and put it into a clip. It seems to help my hair stay off my shoulders and protect my ends more than wrapping

Chasity

I wrap my hair Every single night..Even when it is way beyond the point of relaxer, it is just Habit. My hair has thrived since doing this. I comb my hair all the way down and wrap with the big wig brush and I have no breakage. I keep it moisturized so that can aide in preventing breakage. Someone mentioned earlier that wrapping makes them lose their body in their hair..It actually helps mine(my hair holds curls really well)..People usually ask if I roll my hair nightly because if I get a nice roller set and wrap it the curls are sill there just loose and bouncy. Now as for the swapping directions in the wrapping, I try that every so often and it hurts like crazy at the hair line(Feels as if someone has beat me upside the head and I am not kidding), it remains sore for a few days so I only use the swapping wrap direction when my it is relaxer time:yay:

gorgeoushair

I noticed when I used to wrap my hair, my ends were healthier (or at least they looked it) then than they are now that I airdry. I have been airdrying for awhile now but I'm going back to wet wrapping. I just don't wanna sit under the dryer b/c it takes too long:grin:

I don't see how wrapping would sabbotage anybodys length retention..

Sistaslick

I'm thinking it depends on the wrapper.

I always ended up with breakage just trying to get my hair up into the wrap. Then combing it back down . . . :nono: It was probably my technique, though. I was never really good at wrapping. My wraps always came down looking flat and swished to a side. :lachen: One problem I had was that I was adding all kinds of products-- gel, setting lotion, etc-- to make the wrap look sleek-- but by the time I combed it down the wrap looked better than the combed down end result. I do think that wrapping works best when your ends are already fresh and on point. It's easier to wrap, and it falls better when it comes down. Uneven ends will wreck a wrap.

Now, Macherie wraps her hair regularly and she's definitely an example of a person it works well for.:yep:

I prefer the mohawk rollerset when my hair is going to be down-- it's easy to sleep on, and much more volume and body.:grin:

Hey Flexi!!!! :kiss: (Tell your brother I said hey!) :lachen:

Ronda123

I crosswrap my hair every night and sleep with a silk scarf. I have done this for a few years now and I haven't had a problem retaining my length.

Eisani

My ends aren't the issue, my scalp doesn't like wrapping anymore:nono: I did it for years but now, even if I switch the direction, my scalp gets extremely sore so I don't do it at all anymore. I either very loosely cross wrap, make gigantic pin curls, or just leave it down and use a big scarf to cover the ends before bed but the latter doesn't really work anymore now that my hair is longer.

queen_t

I wrap every night with jojoba oil and a silk scarf. I've done this for years without any negative effects. It's just a quick and easy way for me to protect my hair at night.

No bobby pins are used to hold the wrap. I just use a round paddle brush, then a thick boar bristle brush to smooth the wrap.

Last edited:

mistee11

I often wondered if I was doing more damage than good whenever I wrapped. Recently I began to notice that my hair on my right side is a lot thinner than the left. I normally would wrap my hair in that direction. Now not so much -- once in a blue moon will I wrap my hair and I won't wrap around my head like a bowl -- I just comb it downward and sit under the dryer if I'm not rollersetting.

gorgeoushair

I always ended up with breakage just trying to get my hair up into the wrap. Then combing it back down . . . :nono: It was probably my technique, though. I was never really good at wrapping. My wraps always came down looking flat and swished to a side. :lachen: One problem I had was that I was adding all kinds of products-- gel, setting lotion, etc-- to make the wrap look sleek-- but by the time I combed it down the wrap looked better than the combed down end result. I do think that wrapping works best when your ends are already fresh and on point. It's easier to wrap, and it falls better when it comes down. Uneven ends will wreck a wrap.

Now, Macherie wraps her hair regularly and she's definitely an example of a person it works well for.:yep:

I prefer the mohawk rollerset when my hair is going to be down-- it's easy to sleep on, and much more volume and body.:grin:

Mohawk rollerset?? Do you have a pic in your album?

PuffyBrown

I wrap frequently. I am not losing any hair. I have before though. When I first started wrapping my technique was not correct so I spent too much time manipulating my hair and maybe over brushing. Too much manipulation will cause hair to fall and can potentially break off hair from the ends. Wrapping with the wrong product such as a nylon brush can do the most damage.

PuddingPop

I love wrapping my hair. It's the best thing for me. I wet wrap ,air dry then flat iron about once a weeK and my hair stays nice and bouncy until the next wash ( well most of the time:look:). I then wrap it every night. I never knew that it could cause problems. I have been doing it for years and never noticed any adverse effects. I always wrap in the same direction but I will start to switch it up now.

lexi84

Hi honey! I've missed you so much! Me and Darrah were just talking about you. I took some time off and now I'm back on it with a vengance and I was wondering where my big sister went! :kiss: My bro talks about you all the time LOL!!! :lachen:

Oh and that mohawk rollerset....I might wanna see pics, pwease!!:yep:

lovedone_24

Whenever I manipulate my hair in general I get a lot of shedding, wrapping is not exception. I've started greasing my scalp which has cut it down about 80%. I think if you have a decent moisturizer (which I do not) it won't be a problem.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I used to wet wrap and wrap at night faithfully. Actually I think this helped me grow out my hair from sl to apl so quickly. Now I only wrap after I rollerset (saran wrap treatment). I can't wrap nightly anymore because it makes my scalp sore. I cross wrap on occasion but I mostly do the mohawk rollerset Sista mentioned.

dream13

I didn't read the entire thread :look:. But I wrap my hair every night for straight styles with no problems.

ajoyfuljoy

It's Sistaslick :bouncegre:wave::dance7::clapping::trampolin:band::band::bouncy::bighug::club::circle::lots::hiya::hiya::hiya::hiya::headspin:

Soo good to see you :yep:

Shonni

I have wrapped my hair almost everynight for years, it has not been a problem for me. Keeps my hair and ends healthy.

Shonni

I have wrapped my hair almost everynight for years, it has not been a problem for me. Keeps my hair and ends healthy.