Wrapping and length retention

How has wrapping effected your ability to retain length?

• Not all, I wrap all the time and my hair thrives

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • Wrapping has made it harder for me to retain length

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never knew wrapping could effect retention

Votes: 52 44.4%

• Total voters

Miosy

I voted that it was hard for me to retain length because I think I wasn't doing it correctly and was too "rough" with my hair and got breakage but I know plenty of women who wrap their hair regularly and their hair looks great :)

lilsparkle825

it hurt my edges. once i got an APL sew-in and my edges were adequately covered they grew in. idk but i think it *may* have been the scarf i was using, which looked like a do-rag without the hangy thing in the back. my ends always stayed sleek and smooth so i stayed with it.

yummied77

I've wrapped my hair for about 11 years. I notice that my hair seem to grow on one side substantially more than the other side. I didn't like how my hair flatten out when I wrapped my hair. So I do not wrap anymore. Maybe I will try crosswrapping when I start to wear my hair down more. My sister wraps her hair all the time and she love it.

TLC1020

Regular wrapping caused my hair to be short and thin on one side from high school and some college years. However crosswrapping is much better for my hair and I really don't have any problems when I wrap that way.

sheena m

Wrapping my hair has caused breakage and shorter hair on one side, so now I usually put my hair in a high ponytail at night. When i take it down in the morning it still looks good.

Mars_Reiko

I been wrapping for some time now and it hasn't affected my hair in anyway. But as stated before, your technique has alot to do with it.

hurricane

Yep. It works for me I went from a tapered cut Oct. 2007 to what you see now. About 9 months of growth.

AshMoBev

Well I was on here looking to see if i could find a thread that explained the techniques that others use when wrapping their hair and I came across this thread...I wrap my hair using the "cross method"..LOL Until now I never knew that this was an actual method (official name and all) that a lot of people use. I just crossed my wrap because I hated how my hair would look after I did the wrap in the "around the head in a circle" way. My scalp would be sore from my hair laying to one side in the wrap and then being combed the opposite way when i took it down OR i would always get that wierd bump OR my hair would have that ugly wrap look even hours after it had been combed out. So my mentality was "Forget that! Imma just cross mine in the back"....and it works for me!!!! So i guess since i'm not alone in this, I'll continue with my cross wrapping ! And NO IT DOES NOT GIVE ME BREAKAGE! (not that I know of at least)

RENIBELL

Do you alternate directions? I didn't vote because i don't consider myself a wrapper. I only wrap my hair every 4 months (freshly retouched hair) and then 4 days straight at the most afterwards. But my aunt had WL hair and she claimed she wrapped her hair every night. So i really don't know.

sorry to change the topic a little here but hweezy, what hair type was your aunt and what else did she do to her hair:drunk:

LovingMe87

When I used to wrap, my hair grew between SL & APL, but my hair was thin and uneven. No one told me that I was supposed to alternate the way I wrapped, so 7th-12th grade I wrapped my hair in one direction and one side really suffered (thinner and shorter). Once I found out, I was so accustomed to wrapping in one direction, it was awkward, really hard to remember to switch and it was painful! Since Feb 2009 (when I began my 1st transition:ohwell:), I can count on one hand, the number of times I've wrapped my hair and one side is no longer fuller or longer than the other.

However, I do not believe that wrapping was the main cause. I think it was a combination of dry, over processed hair and my poor wrapping techniques. I can't wrap my hair anymore because it hurts and I feel like its too much manipulation, esp since I don't like to comb my hair but once a week. Lastly I believe it can damage the edges because my sister in law has MBL hair and her edges and nape are short and look like they've been cut. Her is really thick, full, and looks healthy but I believe that her daily wrapping may have caused the shorter edges. I've seen many friends and family in the same boat. But who knows..

mahogany_horizons

I used to wrap daily. one side of my hair right in the front was shorter than the other. But, even prior to LHCF, I was able to learn to wrap to minimize damage. I still don't need pins even with BSL hair and I alternate directions. Otherwise, I only wrap my hair ever 12 or 14 weeks like someone else mentioned, when I have a fresh relaxer.

Dacia38

I've wrapped for approximiately 18 years (give or take a few months). I've never had a problem with maintaining my length. However, about 3 or 4 years ago I noticed that the hair at my temple is thinner on the side I wrap against (hope that makes sense). I've tried switching directions, but suffered from severe sore scalp each time.

Last night I tried the crosswrap method for the first time. It worked! My hair looks good. Actually it looks a little straigher.

I'm going to incorporate JBCO to my temple over the next few weeks and continue cross-wrapping to see what happens.

~Dee

I wrapped my hair for years from left to right.I tried to alternate sides,but it never turned out right.I started to notice that the left side was shorter than the right.The right side was thriving and the left side just couldn't seem to catch up,even after endless attempts to baby it.I came across a crosswrapping tutorial a while back and I've been doing it ever since. It worked wonders.The left side is so much stronger now.I always moisturize and seal before I crosswrap.