Ya'll NEED to get up on your protein intake...Imma tell you why!

Tyra

It is the BOMB!(sorry for sounding all corny and 90's):lol:

I have been back on my protein shakes for the last week. i add a scoop of soy protein (20gr. protein per scoop) to my soy milk (7gr. protein per 8 oz) or chocolate milk (8gr. protein per 8 oz). I drink them like water. Not recommended if you are watching your weight.:look:
I'm also a peanut butter feen, so I eat like 8-10 tbsp a day easily. Not recommended if you are watching your weight.:look:
Anyway, I definitely can tell the difference. i don't know why I fell off in the first place.

I started last Wednesday after I put my box plaits in (tight with no added hair) and I already have a small amount of new growth.:blush: My average growth rate is .5 inches. Every now and then I'll get .75-1inch. Believe me when I say that those instances are few and far between. I believe I could be looking at getting that boost by the end of the month.:grin:

i know that some people shun soy like the plague. I believe that any protein source will do the trick. :yep:
Also, I think it's wise to still pay attention to your hair and not over do it.

Before ya'll say :needpics: I need to locate my camera and get some batteries.

You'll have to wait...or just take my word for it.:look:
I'm gonna try my best to update in a month.:yep:

It's not even about that, I just wanted to share, because I am very happy. If you've had similar experiences, feel free to share.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Minty

I believe you and that's great news. Eat whey protein if you are avoiding soy.

BlaqBella

Thanks op. And the rest of you ladies too. Cause I've been hoping the boiled eggs will have an effect
(I don't wanna gain an ounce either).

yodie

Great thread! I decided to start doing regular protein treatments, but this thread has encouraged me to up my protein intake. Time to pull out the protein shakes again. I use Life's Basics Greens or Vanilla protein. They have 22-23 g's per serving. I mix with unsweetened almond milk. I'm going to put myself on a personal challenge - 1 protein shake each day, for a period of 30 days.

Harina

I've been doing this on accident. I've been eating pb, eggs, and drinking soymilk quite alot these past weeks. I doubt this will increase my weight (nothing seems to) but if it did, it wouldn't kill me to put on 5-6 pounds. I wonder what increased protein does to skin.

fattyfatfat

maybe I can buy protein shakes that are already made. is that recommended too? I really dont have a lot of time to mix shakes, but if I can just grab one and go, that would be perfect for me!

BillsBackerz67

Protein alone doesnt cause you to gain weight...it contributes to lean mucle mass. Its just cumbersome when you are eating food high in fat and protein (ie peanute butter). there are several things that you can eat (tuna and eggs for instance) that are low in fat but high in protein.

BillsBackerz67

Beans are great too. I could eat several pounds of lima, butter beans, and pinto beans at a time. I think I eat them so much Im immune to getting gas now :lol:

EllePixie

I aim for 110g of protein a day, not just for my hair, but I can maintain my weight better when I take in more protein, moderate fat, and minimal carbs (like less than 100g). Be careful though, if you consume more than 30g of protein in one sitting, the rest will get processed as fat. I usually do around 30g for breakfast, lunch and dinner, then I'll have a couple of snacks (cheese, nuts, yogurt), or a protein shake (my shake only has 110 cals so it's like a snack).

DrC

I'm jealous of you!! :drunk: you get to eat peanut butter and chocolate shakes errday, and wont gain an ounce of weight lol. Anywho, yes you are right about the protein. I get my daily consumption from almond milk, which is packed with tons of healthy stuff.

Last edited:

yodie

Whats a healthy amount of protein we should consume in a day? Can one protein shake (22g's) really make a difference?

ETA: Just had my protein shake. I'm gonna check in for the next 30 days to keep myself accountable with my protein intake.

Last edited:

UrbainChic

BTW protein will keep you fuller longer.... So if you swap out those empty carb calories for peanut butter, nuts soy and other lean protein you can feel satisfied when you eat less, thereby losing weight and helping your hair.

*note that you will not lose weight if you just pack on the protein on top of your current diet

*i also think a nutritionist could explain this better than i could

Platinum

I was planning to start eating more peanut butter, smoked oysters, tuna, etc again instead of fast food in order to save money while I'm on the road. i'll start back on my shakes as well since I plan to start working out again. Thanks for the reminder.:up:

yodie

Got my protein shake in today. I also had 2 eggs and a couple of sausage. I don't get the munchies as often when I up my protein intake.

chickory_bee

I do Muscle Milk Light, which is 100 calories and has 15grams of protein. I also drink Pure Protein Shake which has 23 grams of protein and 120 calories.

Love them! Low calories with the benefit of HIGH protein content! Doing a HYH challenge so we won't know the benefits for a while.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
Whats a healthy amount of protein we should consume in a day? Can one protein shake (22g's) really make a difference?

ETA: Just had my protein shake. I'm gonna check in for the next 30 days to keep myself accountable with my protein intake.

Look at this site:
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/nutrition/a/protein.htm

For me I need 70g per day. I try to eat 15 per main meal and then the rest I get in snacks

Last edited:

yodie

Thanks for that link. I need a minimum of 55g's a day. I'd like to get 75g's. This is good to know.

I probably won't check into this thread everyday, but I'll make sure to keep my protein up.

Last edited: