Yes, another flatiron question- specifically for the coarse and thick

nitavcc

I have been transitioning for over 10 months, and so far so good..
Thanks to all of you who encouraged me on the "buckwheat" thread..
but, now..

Which flat iron?

I had the maxiglide, and let me tell you that was a joke.. I had a flatironed puff! I washed, conditioned, used chi silk infustion.. Puff.. I even used small sections all the way..

So..
If I had to choose a flatiron- what would you recommend. (I know that the FHI Runway is the bomb- so they say- but are there any alternatives)

Sedu? FHI platorm? H2PRO. (FHI RUNWAY- KNOCK OFF!) Thanks for all your help.

Stay away from Andis flat iron, it snags my hair big time, I have pulled my hair out with this flat iron, I have the Sallys GVP brand of Chi and I like it, I just want another flat iron, I heard Sedu is good too.

Thats what I heard, but I'm not sure....

Please someone hook a sistah up!

I can't remember where, but someone recently posted progress pics and their style used the H2Pro...hair looked GREAT. And I believe their stylist previously used the Runway...*goes to look up H2PRO*:user:

Nitavcc: they are comparable. There is a H2Pro version of the FHI Runway...they're made by the same company, same features, etc... I believe it's called the H2Pro Grand Master Series 206 LE... It's still very pricey, but less than the Runway (about half the Runway's retail price)

Nitavcc: they are comparable. There is a H2Pro version of the FHI Runway...they're made by the same company, same features, etc... I believe it's called the H2Pro Grand Master Series 206 LE... It's still very pricey, but less than the Runway (about half the Runway's retail price)

The price seems to be running neck to neck at all the discount websites, just under $ 300, some at $279. Oh well.. What good is a knock off thats around the same price of the competition. You can get the FHI runway for around that price ...

Oh well...

Sedu anyone? Hows it work on super coarse 4a hair? That's around the price range I would like to work with. There is no way I'm going to pay the price to fly to Caribbean for a flat iron!:perplexed

I have a SEDU. Gets my NG pretty straight. I am 4a course kinky coily. Thinking about transitioning...trying out products to keep NG straight. I used SEDU yesterday on the part of my hair that I am leaving out for a half wig. My edges are still pin straight. So far so good.

Depends on what you want to pay and how often will you use it...

I am a Sedu-stan....so I am unapolegetically going to toot the Sedu's horn...it is fabulous...and over 4000 other ladies agree!! (www.folica.com) :)

Also, folica is having a sale today 10% plus free shipping.

I have Farouk Deep Brillance(CHI for afro hair), Wigo, Sedu and I just order the Hana Elite. I had a CHI but i gave it to my SIL.....it was broken within 3 months(I will blame it on the kids). I have heard that the H2Pro and the Solia are good midgrade flat irons as well...but the Sedu still had more reviews and the prices were comparable. I have the Sedu Pro..not the Sedu Revolution so I can't speak to how well it works. Just from reading and my own experience flat irons come in 3 levels:

1. Metal Plates--original type of flat iron, worst type for hair. Hot Tools,Remington and Conair were some brands that I remember from back in the day.

2. Ceramic coated Plates--the more coats the better..but can still flake and come off over time(this happened with the Wigo). The majority of flat irons are of this type--FHI, CHI, GHD, Sedu, Solia, Hana, Croc,Sally's GVP, Hot Tools, Paul Mitchell, etc are all a combination of silver, ceramic,titanium and/or some other metal.

3. 100% Ceramic---ceramic through and through, most expensive..."should" last the longest..very delicate(don't drop). Too expensive for mass marketing or a "casual" user. I have only seen two vendors that make 100% ceramic--the FHI Runway and the Hana Elite.

Then you have "aesthetics"...is it pink, does it have rhinestones,DVD instructions...etc..etc...these will weigh in on the cost as well.

Overstocked.com had a REALLY good selection of flat irons for a fair price...they had H2Pro, the lower end FHIs, the CROC, and several other brands for great prices. Drugstore.com had the GHD IV for under $200.
These are just what I have observed and discovered; hope this helps in your search.

Last edited:
FHI Runway hands down!!! I'm 43 weeks into my transition and I tell you my DH and coworker who knows I am transitioning tell me how straight my hair is. That flat iron is expensive but WELL WORTH the price. It gives you salon quality results!

I love my Sedu!

Here are my results (16 month post hair)

DSCF2868.jpg
DSCF2896-1.jpg

I have more pics in my fotki.

your hair is so gorgeous soliel!!!! and your natural hair is the bomb diggedy.
what temperature do you use and how often do you use heat?

your hair is so gorgeous soliel!!!! and your natural hair is the bomb diggedy.
what temperature do you use and how often do you use heat?

I used it on 410 :look: I used original Sabino as my heat protectant.
That time when I straightened was the first time I'd used heat in 4/5 months. A month and a half later I BC'd (July) and I haven't straightened since - though I did use a blowdryer once.

I have been transitioning for over 10 months, and so far so good..
Thanks to all of you who encouraged me on the "buckwheat" thread..
but, now..

Which flat iron?

I had the maxiglide, and let me tell you that was a joke.. I had a flatironed puff! I washed, conditioned, used chi silk infustion.. Puff.. I even used small sections all the way..

So..
If I had to choose a flatiron- what would you recommend. (I know that the FHI Runway is the bomb- so they say- but are there any alternatives)

Wow I know not all products are for everybody, but I love my maxiglide! I didn't even use a moisture blocking protectant at first, just a heat one and it got my hair super straight, my hair most love steam cause I don't even have to set it high to get it straight. I can also do a light iron and leave my hair a little pouffy if that's what I want. I never had any problems with it getting really pouffy once I've ironed it super straight unless you stand directly in front of a steam machine without the moisture block.
It only reverted when I washed it.

Now I've tried some other irons and my hair laughed @ them. I tried the knock off babyliss, the jilbere nano silver, didn't even give me half good results. Jilbere wet/dry ceramic porcelain series, did nothing much, took too long to get all my hair done too.

Wow I know not all products are for everybody, but I love my maxiglide! I didn't even use a moisture blocking protectant at first, just a heat one and it got my hair super straight, my hair most love steam cause I don't even have to set it high to get it straight. I can also do a light iron and leave my hair a little pouffy if that's what I want. I never had any problems with it getting really pouffy once I've ironed it super straight unless you stand directly in front of a steam machine without the moisture block.
It only reverted when I washed it.

Now I've tried some other irons and my hair laughed @ them. I tried the knock off babyliss, the jilbere nano silver, didn't even give me half good results. Jilbere wet/dry ceramic porcelain series, did nothing much, took too long to get all my hair done too.

I must admit that when I flatironed my hair, I used the mini maxiglide simply because it can go up to the root easier than the large maxiglide with steam that can go up to the scalp. I DID use small micro sections, but it still didnt lay flat...

The "mini glide" does not have the option for steam... Perhaps I will give it another try with the larger maxi and steam...

I must admit that when I flatironed my hair, I used the mini maxiglide simply because it can go up to the root easier than the large maxiglide with steam that can go up to the scalp. I DID use small micro sections, but it still didnt lay flat...

The "mini glide" does not have the option for steam... Perhaps I will give it another try with the larger maxi and steam...

You should use it the way the directions DVD says, you may not have set the heat high enough to get the super-straight hair you wanted. Use a moisture block heat protectant, use the miniglide only for the front edges and touch ups that's what it's really for esp if you have thick hair. I never use the miniglide as a real iron it's just for edges, I always travel with the maxiglide and the miniglide, the miniglide just can't do my hair alone. let us know how it goes this time. HTH

There are lots of 100% ceramic irons that are much cheaper but it is hard to find reviews on them. Amika and Herstyler are too that some ladies here use and like.

So..

^^ I really enjoy using my Sedu...I have the older model, the Sedu Ionic Ceramic Tourmaline. I <3 it. The plates are like glass....only thing is because the iron is 1.5 inches, it gives me a little bit of trouble catching my edges and nape (hair is Collar Bone Length). but I like my hair big anyway so this is not a Huge issue for me.....its superduper lightweight as well....lightest iron I own.

I also have the newer (pink-yay!) Sedu Revolution Nano Ceramic and this is almost exactly the same as the older model except I bought it in 1in. and it has a swivel cord, which is freakin fab for making sexy curls and beachy waves! I've only had it for 3mos or so but I've heard that between the two, the Revolution is less durable...which makes no sense 2 me because its A LOT heavier than the older model.

**Now I also bit the bullet and got me a FHI platform...I like this a lot as well. 1 thing kinda important abt this Iron: This sucker got ridiculously hot and I only had it on 320...my hair was silky straight in one pass.. but the other day I noticed that after straightening my bangs with it, some of the hair was white at the very tips :nono: not good at all and if I'm not mistaken, thats an indication of heat damage (I used it on freshly washed and bdried hair). Thank god it was a really small amount, so I just clipped the white end off...but I was like O sh*t that thing is powerful....Be careful ladies!!!
^^^If u r looking for another professional flat-iron, consider the Solia. Luv it so much I copped 2...<3
btw Im 4a relaxed....Oh and the quality of the blowdryer you use..or for some people the quality of the product you use, will make a huge difference in how your hair will turn out..like if I use my Turbo bdryer + a great moisturizing cond and a great serum before I flat Iron, I can get near Sedu-looking results with my Remington. And like many have said before, 80 percent is in technique.

HTH Love

Back