Yet, another negative hair thread

Angelicus

I usually post positive threads but this has been on my mind for a couple of years.

What is the purpose of flaunting long hair if it is thin, lifeless, and brittle? It really scares me when I see women in the street doing the hair toss but their hair is a complete, thin mess. A lot of people come up to me with long hair that has been shredded thin due to wrapping, styling, combing and brushing too much. I don't even tell people that I am trying to grow long hair, somehow the discussion gets to hair and they flaunt how they got their hair long and "beautiful," but it's thin as a toothpick and filled with so much grease that I could fry fish on it.

Also, I see a ton of women with long hair but no hair on the temples. I see a lot of guys who love long dreads but are bald.

As for me, I would rather have healthy medium length hair (what I have right now) than have long thin, lifeless hair.

This is my only pet peeve about hair and I am sorry about posting this negative thread. If there was a post on this subject (I know it has been but I can't find it) would someone please bump the thread and then reply in that specific thread? Thank you.

I'm sorry, I'm just letting it all out today.

MizaniMami

It's okay, It's your preference. You have all the right to feel the way you do.

I don't see many black girls with long AND thick hair outside of LHCF.

But the ones who do have long hair (in real life, usually APL that's thinner than paper) think they are the ISH too. Telling me "girl all you have to do is use doo-gro to get your hair thick and wrap it every night." Girl bye!

I can't wait untill my hair grows in , so I can hit them with a big fat "ummm, yeah:look: "

hairspan

I feel the same way you feel about having thin hair but some people can't help it because a lot of people would love a miracle cream to thicken their hair instead of cutting it off and starting over due to damage.

dimpalz

I agree, I think I'd have this problem if I let it grow anymore while it's relaxed. I prefer to have neck length in a neat cut (like my fotki) than have it long and stringy. I know I'm never gonna a thick long mane of relaxed hair cos I wasn't blessed like that, thats my main reason for transitioning; atleast it will LOOK thicker

It's cool u think this way, as one of those probable ladies I'm not offended cos I know it looks awful. You just gotta tell it how it is

Last edited:

sweetascocoa

thats the main reason why i went natural. even as a natural, some styles will make the thinness obvious. thin hair is not going to stop me from growing long hair

FloridaSunshine

toosexy1 said:
thats the main reason why i went natural. even as a natural, some styles will make the thinness obvious. thin hair is not going to stop me from growing long hair

I'M WITH YOU ON THIS ONE!!! Anky I understand you cleary however, I too am a thin hair diva, just like my mom, who is still on her quest for long hair. My hair looks thin whether it is short or long so I figure I never had long hair so why not try to grow it out just to see. So maybe one day I just might be one of those thin haired chicks tossing my thin ends, just because I can..

africa

anky said:
I usually post positive threads but this has been on my mind for a couple of years.

What is the purpose of flaunting long hair if it is thin, lifeless, and brittle? It really scares me when I see women in the street doing the hair toss but their hair is a complete, thin mess. A lot of people come up to me with long hair that has been shredded thin due to wrapping, styling, combing and brushing too much. I don't even tell people that I am trying to grow long hair, somehow the discussion gets to hair and they flaunt how they got their hair long and "beautiful," but it's thin as a toothpick and filled with so much grease that I could fry fish on it.

Also, I see a ton of women with long hair but no hair on the temples. I see a lot of guys who love long dreads but are bald.

As for me, I would rather have healthy medium length hair (what I have right now) than have long thin, lifeless hair.

This is my only pet peeve about hair and I am sorry about posting this negative thread. If there was a post on this subject (I know it has been but I can't find it) would someone please bump the thread and then reply in that specific thread? Thank you.

I'm sorry, I'm just letting it all out today.

LOL. Go ahead and vent. You have really nice hair by the way, and I would consider your hair long--not medium.

shawniegee

New Cut for '09
I'm in total agreement with you Anky. If I see anotha brotha with a bald spot in dreds, I'mma go postal. With that being said I have completey adjusted my hair goals, pure healthiness. Preferrably like yours!

I know I would have been bra strap by now but my ish was crunchy. Had to let some inches go. But I'm still lovin' my locks and being patient. Afterall it is a journey.