You Feel Like You're Doing Everything Right, But It's Still Breaking--CLICK NOW!

Vintageglam

I think the Mizani H20 Intense works bc of the Ceramides. This is my staple hair product and prob the only thing I constantly repurchase.

Also both me and DH love the smell.... :infatuated:

ETA: Subscribing.......

Aggie

I think the Mizani H20 Intense works bc of the Ceramides. This is my staple hair product and prob the only thing I constantly repurchase.

Also both me and DH love the smell.... :infatuated:

ETA: Subscribing.......

Yeah Lord, it really smells awesome and thanks for the tips on the ceramides. I never thought about that and no wonder I like it so much.

Vintageglam

Yeah Lord, it really smells awesome and thanks for the tips on the ceramides. I never thought about that and no wonder I like it so much.

Great Product.:grin: Wonderful Fragrance. And the Ceramides is a Big Plus.

A little goes a long way. Definitely. :lick:

Aggie & IDareT'sHair

I just thought I'd let you know that I recently ran out of the H20 and my hair was breaking a bit/ dry so I made a bootleg version as follows:

1/2 Tub Elasta QP Mango Butter (new olive oil formula version)
1/2 Vial Matrix Cera Repair Hydratherapie Ceramides
1 Teaspoon Wheatgerm Oil
1/2 Teaspoon Jojoba
1/2 Teaspoon Avocado Oil
a little water to thin it out

And boy this stuff is amazing. It stopped the breakage in its tracks and my hair is so soft. I do not think I will need to moisturise and seal tonight.

:love: this. I will keep this as a back-up and for my ends for when my beloved H20 runs out in future. To be honest this works better than H20 but I love the smell of H20.

Ladies you should try this. You will not be dissapointed. :yep:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Aggie & IDareT'sHair

I just thought I'd let you know that I recently ran out of the H20 and my hair was breaking a bit/ dry so I made a bootleg version as follows:

1 Teaspoon Wheatgerm Oil
1/2 Teaspoon Jojoba
1/2 Teaspoon Avocado Oil

And boy this stuff is amazing. It stopped the breakage in its tracks and my hair is so soft. I do not think I will need to moisturise and seal tonight.

:love: this. I will keep this as a back-up and for my ends for when my beloved H20 runs out in future. To be honest this works better than H20 but I love the smell of H20.

OOOOOOO StellaGirl, this sounds good:yep:

Great Recipe.:lick:

Thanks for sharing.

Vintageglam

^^^ You are welcome.

If you check the ingredients of the Elasta QP Mango Butter you will see they are better than the Mizani H20 (i.e. no mineral oil and only water soluble cones). Its the Ceramides and extra oils which take the bootleg version to a whole new level....

Hope you enjoy ladies and let me know how you get on.

P.S. - I also forgot to add that I added 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon of silk amino acid powder.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
^^^ You are welcome.

If you check the ingredients of the Elasta QP Mango Butter you will see they are better than the Mizani H20 (i.e. no mineral oil and only water soluble cones). Its the Ceramides and extra oils which take the bootleg version to a whole new level....

P.S. - I also forgot to add that I added 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon of silk amino acid powder.

I do have the QP Mango Butter.:yep: Thanks StellaGirl

Terri:grin:

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
^^^ You are welcome.

That is such an awesome bootleg recipe you shared, Stellagirl. Thanks so much for that!!

By the way, where do you buy your wheat germ oil and silk amino acid powder?

Aggie

Aggie & IDareT'sHair

1 Teaspoon Wheatgerm Oil
1/2 Teaspoon Jojoba
1/2 Teaspoon Avocado Oil

This recipe sounds yummy stellagirl. This would make a great substitute moisturizer and I think I will substitute the wheatgerm oil with my beloved Alba Botanica Kukui Nut Oil which is also a ceramide-containing oil. Thanks for the recipe girl:yep:.

Ceramides are the bomb....SERIOUSLY!!!

Last edited:

Aggie

That is such an awesome bootleg recipe you shared, Stellagirl. Thanks so much for that!!

TaraDyan, you can get a lot of the oils we use here on the board very cheaply at www.vitaglo.com. I mostly purchase the 16oz bottles of oils from this site.

Vintageglam

Hi TaraDyan

I am UK based so get my SAA from a UK vendor but I know that the US ladies get theirs from Lotioncrafters.

Jade Feria

Excellent information! I'm glad I found this thread, and all the others I found tonight while deep conditioning, lol

Lisa

How did I miss this THREAD!! :ohwell: Well, I've found it now and that's all that matters!

Supergirl do you have any updates for 2011? Do you still recommend the same products?

Thanks for your input.

Lisa

I went to Target today and bougt Mizani Rose H20 Conditioning Hairdress and Mizani H20 Intense Strenghtening Night-time Treatment. Wish me luck!!

Nice & Wavy

NOTE: I found the night-time treatment at Costco's this past Saturday for......$4.95!!!

Just thought I'd throw that out there...:love2:

baglady215

How did I miss this THREAD!! :ohwell: Well, I've found it now and that's all that matters!

Supergirl do you have any updates for 2011? Do you still recommend the same products?

Thanks for your input.

Supergirl I'm dying to know too. This thread has saved my hair on more than one occasion. Any updates?

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Supergirl -- based on your recent ETA on 28 Feb 11: I too find that moisturizing/sealing (m&s) 2x daily is too much for my hair and makes it too oily when things are going right. When things are out of sync with my hair, it definitely requires more m&s than 1x daily. I try to listen to my hair needs and go from there.

Does -cones in DCers cause issues? I rarely use -cones in my daily prods but some of my DCers have 1 or 2 -cones in them.

alima

I have eliminated sulfate shampoos from my regime. Are there any good clarifying or moisturizing shampoos that don't have any sulfates? I currently use come clean from kinky curly as my shampoo and I don't have a clarifying shampoo. Thanks!

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Supergirl -- based on your recent ETA on 28 Feb 11: I too find that moisturizing/sealing (m&s) 2x daily is too much for my hair and makes it too oily when things are going right. When things are out of sync with my hair, it definitely requires more m&s than 1x daily. I try to listen to my hair needs and go from there.

Does -cones in DCers cause issues? I rarely use -cones in my daily prods but some of my DCers have 1 or 2 -cones in them.

divachyk

Cones in your conditioner--it depends on where they are in the ingredients. Also, I don't mind seeing amodimethicone in a conditioner even if it is near the top of the ingredient list.

I have eliminated sulfate shampoos from my regime. Are there any good clarifying or moisturizing shampoos that don't have any sulfates? I currently use come clean from kinky curly as my shampoo and I don't have a clarifying shampoo. Thanks!

alima

I am of the mindset that a clarifying shampoo should contain sulfates. But fyi, Kenra clarifying/chelating shampoo uses sodium myreth sulfate, which is about as gentle as you can go with sulfates. However, I don't really feel like this shampoo clarifies my hair well.

I have found that Aubrey Organics Honey Suckle Rose shampoo behaves like a clarifying shampoo on my hair, and it does not contain sulfates.

alima

Thanks! I wanted to know because I have the keratin treatment in my hair and sulfates strip the product away. Thanks again!

Bnster

Oh bumping - I was in another thread that linked to this one. Awesome, I think I am going to finally purchase Mizani H2O, I think I will get 2, one for me and another for my aunt. I am sure going to past these tips to my aunt along with my other suggestions.

Advice is timeless! Supergirl

voltefaccia

I AM LOVING THE ROSE H20 CONDITIONING HAIRDRESS! I decided to try the product on my trip to the BSS to get a rake comb. When I got home I read the ingredients and started to immediately regret my junkie impulses (mineral oil, petrolatum, dimethicone, methylparaben, ethylparaben) but I spent the money so I had to at least give it a try.

My ends have been getting really dry with the weather change and I was starting to fret over breakage - little pieces, long strands, and splits. I've been using the Rose H20 for a couple days now and the difference is just flabbergasting. The breakage has decreased insanely and the softness, the softness, oh good God, the softness. It hasn't suddenly mended my splits but, in terms of breakage, the results have been very reassuring. I have not loved a product recommendation (despite it not being the overnight treatment) this much since I started using Qhemets AOHC and BRBC.

I've been a lurker since July 2010, a recent subscriber and I am so impressed with this product that I just had to come out of lurkdom and say THANK YOU!

OndoGirl

I AM LOVING THE ROSE H20 CONDITIONING HAIRDRESS! I decided to try the product on my trip to the BSS to get a rake comb. When I got home I read the ingredients and started to immediately regret my junkie impulses (mineral oil, petrolatum, dimethicone, methylparaben, ethylparaben) but I spent the money so I had to at least give it a try.

My ends have been getting really dry with the weather change and I was starting to fret over breakage - little pieces, long strands, and splits. I've been using the Rose H20 for a couple days now and the difference is just flabbergasting. The breakage has decreased insanely and the softness, the softness, oh good God, the softness. It hasn't suddenly mended my splits but, in terms of breakage, the results have been very reassuring. I have not loved a product recommendation (despite it not being the overnight treatment) this much since I started using Qhemets AOHC and BRBC.

I've been a lurker since July 2010, a recent subscriber and I am so impressed with this product that I just had to come out of lurkdom and say THANK YOU!
Okay I'm sold! I am turrning into a PJ thanks to this site...
Love your siggy by the way. I am a huuuugge Tool fan! Can't wait until they come back to DC.

Curlykale

So, basically breakage can happen because of: buildup, no protein, no moisture, too much shampoo, too much protein or no ceramides. The deep clarifying and protein every 3 weeks avoids protein or shampoo overloads, and the frequent moisturizing and sealing with ceramides, or cowashing weekly, takes care of the rest. Makes sense to me.

Last edited:

JeterCrazed

Solution B:

The moisturizing regimen is not working for you. Breaking hair needs moisture. If it's breaking, it's just saying that it's dry and too brittle to hold together. But sometimes your hair will not hold on to the moisture you're giving it. Hair can hold moisture better if it has a good supply of protein. So at this point, I would have you to clarify, follow with a moisturizing shampoo and then apply your protein conditioner. For your moisturizing shampoo, I strongly recommend one of these: Deep Brilliance Hydration, Keracare Hydrating Detangling, or Design Essentials Moisture Retention. Why these 3? These shampoos contain an ingredient called carboxylic acid. From a chemistry standpoint, a carboxylic acid group is able to readily bind to amino acids. What does that mean for your hair? That means that the carboxylic acid is going to help your hair to better bind the protein. (because proteins are made of amino acids). I hope it makes sense, but even if it doesn't--just trust a sista on this one. I'm going to strongly recommend one of the following for your protein treatment that will follow your moisturizing shampoo:

*Joico K-Pak (don't use generic, it's not nearly as good)
*Motions Moisture Silk Protein OR CPR
*Ultra Sheen Duo Tex
*Dudley Cream Protein
*Regis Protein Boost

Of course there are many others, but I've only recommended what I have tried. Whichever you choose, follow it with a (quality) moisturizing conditioner of course. Continue your regimen as your normally would. NO HEAT. Moisturize 2X daily. No shampoo for 2 weeks. First shampoo after the 2 weeks, dilute moisturizing 'poo with water.

By the way, at the 3rd week you may find that you need to use non-diluted shampoo or even clarifying shampoo again. This is fine for both A & B.

ETA: Edit 1/4/09--The Design Essentials Shampoo formula has changed, it no longer contains the important ingredient recommended above.

ETA: 7/30/09--It looks as though the Deep Brilliance shampoo has been repackaged, but is still available. I haven't seen the ingredients, but they are still calling it "moisture binding" which makes me infer that it still contains the carboxylic acid.

Carboxylic Acids are just organic acids. The term is extremely general. Under this umbrella are Acidic Acid, Lenoic Acid, etc. Coconut oil, Apple Cider Vinegar and Rancid animal fats all fit the bill as being carboxylic acids. This is why people like to rinse their hair with beer and ACV.

http://chemed.chem.wisc.edu/chempaths/GenChem-Textbook/Carboxylic-Acids-924.html

It's one of those carboxylic acids. So when people are adding Coconut oil to their relaxer, they're causing decarboxylation between the caustic soda (Lye or whatever else) and the carboxylic acid (Coconut Oil or whatever else) which forms primary amines.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Ow...decarboxylation soda lime coconut oil&f=false

You have just created an amino acid in your hair strand.

I never woulda did all this research if you hadn't posted this. THANKS!!
Confirms what I wrote in this thread...

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=463686