You need a MOISTURE-DRENCHED Pre-Poo?!!

virtuenow

Update: Thanks again NasdaqDiva. I have incorporated this in several washes since I first posted and I am glad to report that this was a missing step in my moisture routine. My hair has always felt at its worse when I wash it--and then condition. Always feels very stripped and fragile. This provided for a moisture barrier- to my over-porous hair. I was able to maintain a moisturized situation thru the whole process :)

It also provided a second use as well! It's very significant b/c in the 5 years that I have been natural, I have never been able to airdry and wear a style. I used the aloe vera juice w/castor oil and jojoba oil added--> and it just so happens I had a good amount of left over mix in my spray bottle after my last wash. I decided I would use it after my wash to try and "juice" for the first time and twist. I sprayed it on each section, then sealed with my conditioner/shea/evco mix. My hair was soaking in moisture...and most of all, it remained soft. the next day I had an awesome twist out. I have never been able to do a wet twist out....Unbelievable. Well, that's my praise report.

So thanks for the catchy title op ("U need moisture DRENCHED prepoo :grin:), it really drew me in. I rarely try new stuff and always have huge doubts that nothing will work on my hair.

PinkAngel

Is anyone doing light protein treatments afterwards? I'm wondering if this will work well at keeping the moisture/protein balance even.

bride91501

I just took down my 4 week old conrows, so I'm trying this pre-poo overnight tonight before I clarify in the am. I use AV gel, 1 tbs of WGO, and 1 tbsp of castor oil. I'm hoping for the best, and will report my results tomorrow.

@Pinkangel- I plan to do an Aphogee Reconstructer PT after I poo tomomorrow, so I'll report on that as well.

bride91501

REVIEW:

So I tried this pre-poo overnight before I used a clarifying poo on my hair. As was suggested in this thread, I did not rinse out the pre-poo before shampooing; I simply added the shampoo to my hair on top of the pre-poo and started lathering.

I normally only lather up once, but when I did this time, my hair wasn't "squeaky" like it normally is after I poo'd, so I (foolishly) lathered again. I think that was a mistake because although my hair wasn't nearly as dry as it normally is after I shampoo, it was dryer than I liked.

I decided to try this pre-poo again yesterday, because I wanted to wash my hair again after my flat iron fail lol. I once again pre-poo'd overnight and then did a clarifying wash just as before, but this time, I only lathered once. I swear- my hair was softer than it is after I co-wash....LOVE IT! I even did a light PT treatment afterwards, which normally dries my hair out, but it is still BUTTER soft!

Definitely adding this to my regimen. Just wanted to share.

ladylo

I've done this pre-poo about three times now and my hair has NEVER felt better. The bonus is that it melts tangles so after the 60min are up I can sit on the couch and finger detangle instead of doing it in the shower. This has made all the difference for me because I hate being in the shower for such a long time. Sometimes I was in there for 1.5 hours!!!! This has made wash day much easier.

I've been doing it with WGO and using Avocado oil to drench instead of EVCO. I tried EVCO the first time and it was great but I couldn't detangle on the couch with it because it started to harden once the plastic cap had been off for a bit. I figured an oil that stayed liquid at room temp might make this a pre-poo and detangler in one and it's been working great. Plus, I was almost out of EVCO but had a brand new bottle of Avocado oil to play with so that was a factor too, lol.

I guess if you live somewhere warm this might not matter but it's winter time in Canada so my hair hardened to a white mass within 15 minutes of taking off the cap. I'm going to save the EVCO for summertime.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Did anyone's mixture of wheat germ oil and aloe vera juice get frothy and thick? I shook it every time to keep it from separating too much as i sprayed it on my hair. I noticed it was getting frothy...weird.
Yes, the oil and juice kept separating. It was almost like the oil overtook the juice.

Yes, it emulsified in mine too. I prefer it that way..no worries about dripping all over the place. Plus I never had to feel like certain sections weren't getting enough (or even any) WGO because they weren't fully combined.

My first time doing this pre poo, I applied it, dipping my hair in the bowl. So, I know certain areas got more juice vs. wgo. I prefer it in the spray bottle, but I find myself not being heavy handed enough when it's in the spray bottle..go figure. :lick:
I will have to use a spray bottle because dipping in the bowl (my first try) didn't go so great. Using a color applicactor bottle (my second and third try) didn't go so well either. I felt it was too liquidy and I used product excessively. The third try I actually ran out of product and had to whip up another batch to finish the rest of my hair. I will use a spray bottle going forward. Great idea!

jerseygurl

Not a new member
I've used this pre-poo twice now and I love it! My hair is really finicky and dries out easily but this gives me moisture boost and detangling is very easy

Nasdaq_Diva

...Just wanted to tell ya that I'm still using this pre-poo! It's the bomb!
ME too! :yep: I try to get one in once a week. I've been finger detangling for a few months now. This last pre-poo I finger detangled w/ this mixture. Almost no breakage at all.

My hair, as usual felt amazing! All this moisture is doing my hair some good. I have alot more curlies going on especially around my hairline. Guess I needed it more than I realized.

mj11051

I have this in my hair now,I'll report back later.

ETA: This is a great prepoo an my hair has never felt better this is part of my reggie from now on.:grin:

Last edited:

ajargon02

I'm subbed her newsletter as well, I remember reading this. Thanks for the review! Your results sound awesome :yep: I have AVJ in my fridge, I may mix some with my usual rice bran oil next wash.

I am subbed as well. I do find her recipes are great for my tresses as well :D

kami02

First, I've been using this pre-poo for the past two weeks and LOVE it!

Second, my aunt had one of those hard gel ponytail weaves in her hair for the past two weeks and was stressing on how to get the gel out of her hair. She went to my cousin for first advice, even though i'm the hair queen in the family, and thank God I caught her before she washed it. I had her try this recipe. I'm happy to report that she said her hair just MELTED the second she put it in. And her hair was HAAAARRD before that! She had even called her hairdresser to figure out what to do to get it out. So she will be doing this going forward as well.

Wanderland

Still loving this prepoo whenever I wash. In fact i also use it when transitioning from one style to twist or another without washing.

Stella B.

I'll be doing this again on my next wash day. Only tried it once, but the results were so convincing, I knew immediately this was what my bone dry strands needed!:yep: I did use a spray bottle for the AVJ and oil, and a needle point color applicator bottle for the coconut oil, after taking a cue from you ladies about the potential dripping. I mixed my AVJ with a tablespoon of olive oil (carrier) and a tablespoon of hemp oil (ceramide). I just assumed at least one of the oils needed to be a carrier oil (olive/coconut/avocado) since these oils are known for their ability to absorb well into into the hair. After spritzing it on, (I used every drop in the bottle).I applied coconut oil (melted) to each section as evenly as I could from root to tip. Sat with a plastic cap on for an hour, and rinsing, shampooing and conditioning, my hair felt awesome! The biggest change for me was how much darker my hair looked after doing this, even after it dried. Moisturized hair reflects light much better than dry hair which appears dull. HUGE thanks Chicoro for sharing this pre-poo recipe with us; I should have tried it out sooner, after I read your book. I keep referring back to the book now for every part of my reggie; it has become my hair bible! lol And NasdaqDiva, thanks to you too for bringing Chicoro's moisture drenced pre-poo to the LHCF masses!!

southerncitygirl

i've been doing a variation of this mixed with condtioner and i don't layer products either. my hair has been even easier to detangle.
i mix:
1- 1.5 c whole leaf aloe vera gel
1/2 c evco
conditioner btw 1/4- 1/2 c using natures gate jojoba

i keep the aloe/evco mix in the fridge, scoop out what i need on wash day and mix it with the conditioner. i cover my hair in plastic until i'm ready to hop in the shower and wash. i wash my hair in 6-8 celie plaits to minimize detangling. thanks for sharing op, i guess the variations are endless with this pre-poo mixture!

SLOGRO

I have a variation of this mixture in my hair right now and putting in my hair felt great already. i have creme of nature moisture extreme condish not sure how much, 1/2 cup aloe vera juice, olive oil, grapeseed oil, castor oil, jojoba oil not sure on the amounts just small splashes. oh and honey maybe a tblsp it was a little runny but i decided to try i don't really like runny mixture but hey. I must say my hair felt juicy and i just put it in. I plan on trying this in my DD hair later. will report back on the happening later.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I tried this last night as well. My hair is very moist. I will continue to do this pre-poo with my protein-moisture wash days.

SLOGRO

I'm done an my hair is almost dry that's thr tru test see what happens when your hair is dry. I must say though my hair feels great i usually wait for my hair to be 90% dry before detangling but i did it in the shower and it was done with minimal hair loss and almost zero breaks. I will add this to my regular deep condishs weekly.

joyous

I'm natural and tried this for the first time last night. Wow! The tangles melted as soon as I applied the mixture. My hair was so soft and strong afterwards. I lost very little hair during my comb out. It's a little messy but definitely a keeper for me.

MissRissa

using the first part of the recipe (aloe w/ oil) i was able to detangle soooooo easily. i hadn't detangled in about a week (not even my regular light finger detangling in the shower) and as long as i drenched the hair (spray bottle) before i attempted to separate, omg it was easy peasy. think i may try another oil for the last part besides coconut. guess it was so cold in the house, by the time i made it upstairs to the bathroom, my hair was a white solid mess.

pjbapb

I finally tried this for the first time earlier this week and I am HOOKED!!!! This is the bomb and it made my hair look and behave in ways that I have never been able to get it to do before! I can't believe I slept on CO for almost 4 years! Never again!