You need a MOISTURE-DRENCHED Pre-Poo?!!

snoop

I'm currently wearing my hair in jumbo twists. I'm going to take one twist out and look at/ feel my hair later today. Depending on the results (i.e. if my hair feels greasy) then I'll either pre-poo again this weekend or do this every 2 to 4 weeks. Because I clay wash I wouldn't be able to managing having "too much" oil in my hair, but I don't want to give up the ease this provided me in removing shed hair.

How often are you using this method?

snoop

Unfortunately, this pre-poo won't work for me as is. I think it's a combination of the use of coconut oil and then using so much of it for step two -- it ends up being too greasy for my wash routine and the coconut leaves my hair hard, though not as hard as when I first went natural.

I'm going to try doing this method with only step 1 next time and see how it goes.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Unfortunately, this pre-poo won't work for me as is. I think it's a combination of the use of coconut oil and then using so much of it for step two -- it ends up being too greasy for my wash routine and the coconut leaves my hair hard, though not as hard as when I first went natural.

I'm going to try doing this method with only step 1 next time and see how it goes.

This is good that you are documenting what is not working and what works. It will help someone else, I'm sure. Some people's hair hates the glycerin, too. At least you know what's not working for you!

Chicoro

Was I supposed to add glycerine? :look:

I usually do. I start with glycerine, aloe vera and oil. Then I let that soak in and put on coconut oil. Then I rinse it with very warm water. Then I wash with shampoo (or baby wash for me) to get the grease out, and then I deep condition, rinse, add leave-ins and style.

Dee-Licious

I've been cheating with this: **Googling to find this pic I just found out they've finally put it in a bottle. YAY!!** It has coconut oil and aloe leaf juice.

Chicoro

Somehow I overlooked the glycerin.

@YvetteWithJoy and @snoop ,
The glycerine is not mentioned in the recipe that I sent out because I modified it as many people don't like glycerin. Thus, I misspoke in post #363 and post #365 by assuming it had been in ingredient in the original post. I personally add glycerin to my stuff because I like it.

My apologies for the confusion and the lack of clarity.

Chicoro

I've been cheating with this: **Googling to find this pic I just found out they've finally put it in a bottle. YAY!!** It has coconut oil and aloe leaf juice.
Both packets are the same thing? Or, is it a 2 step process?

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@YvetteWithJoy and @snoop ,
The glycerine is not mentioned in the recipe that I sent out because I modified it as many people don't like glycerin. Thus, I misspoke in post #363 and post #365 by assuming it had been in ingredient in the original post. I personally add glycerin to my stuff because I like it.

My apologies for the confusion and the lack of clarity.

No worries, sis! I'll just try both and compare! It's thus perfect: I've already tried the non-glycerin version, and I have some vegetable glycerin that would be perfect to add.

How much glycerin should I add to the original recipe? And do I add it to Step 1 or Step 2?

TIA!

Chicoro

No worries, sis! I'll just try both and compare! It's thus perfect: I've already tried the non-glycerin version, and I have some vegetable glycerin that would be perfect to add.

How much glycerin should I add to the original recipe? And do I add it to Step 1 or Step 2?

TIA!

Add 2 teaspoons to 2 tablespoons of glycerin to the aloe vera and oil in STEP 1. Mix it down and put it in hair and let it soak a bit. Then STEP 2 coat the hair with coconut oil.

Dee-Licious

$3.19 for 1.75 oz. will cut into my aloe leaf and organic coconut oil fund. Looks good, though!
Yeh, I get them from Sally's for like $2 something after discount. I put it on my hair with a shower cap before heading to my beautician to get straightened the past couple of times.

It's a good cheat for when in a hurry.

Chicoro

I met the owner of this product line and company at a hair symposium in Lübeck, Germany, in 2013. I told him that black women liked his products and spoke highly of them and that they were popular amongst women with afro-textured hair.

He said that other hair care product manufacturers always ask him why does he use such high quality [expensive] ingredients in his products. Why not use the cheap stuff. His answer was something about having quality.

We were all sitting in the lounge area of the Radissan Blue hotel in Lübeck, Germany. But there were some other very prominent scientist there and I was 'sitting at the knee' of this other gentleman learning about OH- groups in sugars. And the owner of KeraCare said to me with his face all scrunched up, "Why are you asking about/doing all that? Why don't you just use a regular shampoo to do what you are asking about? Oh, I know, you just like DO-IT-Yourself processes."

I didn't answer and just nodded. I mention all of this to say that it's interesting he came out with this product which is clearly a DIY product that he has made into a commercial product. I am not mad at him!

I have a standing invitation to visit him at his facilities in Chicago. Maybe I will take him up on that invite.

Dee-Licious

I met the owner of this product line and company at a hair symposium in Lübeck, Germany, in 2013. I told him that black women liked his products and spoke highly of them and that they were popular amongst women with afro-textured hair.

He said that other hair care product manufacturers always ask him why does he use such high quality [expensive] ingredients in his products. Why not use the cheap stuff. His answer was something about having quality.

We were all sitting in the lounge area of the Radissan Blue hotel in Lübeck, Germany. But there were some other very prominent scientist there and I was 'sitting at the knee' of this other gentleman learning about OH- groups in sugars. And the owner of KeraCare said to me with his face all scrunched up, "Why are you asking about/doing all that? Why don't you just use a regular shampoo to do what you are asking about? Oh, I know, you just like DO-IT-Yourself processes."

I didn't answer and just nodded. I mention all of this to say that it's interesting he came out with this product which is clearly a DIY product that he has made into a commercial product. I am not mad at him!

I have a standing invitation to visit him at his facilities in Chicago. Maybe I will take him up on that invite.

I first learned of this product after I had read through this thread and was using your process. I saw it with similar ingredients to use as a "cheat". I meant to come in here and post that it was similar for months and finally got around to it today.

It's kinda your process put into one package/step and sold. The aloe and coconut oil in it made me instantly think of you and your process.

Chicoro

I first learned of this product after I had read through this thread and was using your process. I saw it with similar ingredients to use as a "cheat". I meant to come in here and post that it was similar for months and finally got around to it today.

It's kinda your process put into one package/step and sold. The aloe and coconut oil in it made me instantly think of you and your process.

You mentioned it before! I'm glad you posted the actual product today. It's interesting to see it.

Amerie123

Tried it for first time today (w/o glycerine), and I LOVED it!!! I def had to come on here and share. It was AMAZING!!! Detangled instantly and almost looked like I didn't have to DC afterwards (i mean, i still did DC), but, I def will make this apart of my routine!! Thanks OP & @Chicoro, and the other ladies for sharing your success stories with this prepoo!!!

Chicoro

What's the purpose of the moisturizing Pre-poo? Won't shampoo wash all that infused moisture out?

Yes! You are absolutely correct. Most of it will wash out.

The aloe vera penetrates dry hair and infuses it with water. The glycerin breaks down build up. It's a lipid and it dissolves other lipids. The oil provides lubrication to the strands. The coconut oil is occlusive, or it smoothers in the other ingredients and drives them deep into the hair.

Hair becomes infused with moisture and becomes soft and pliable. Build up and shed hair and dust, which contribute to tangles soften and become flexible so that the hair can be untangled easier.

So, the goal is to help afro textured hair to become easier to detangle. The end result is that even after a shampoo there is still some of the moisture/lubrication goodness left on the strands!

Chicoro

@Chicoro How much glycerin do you add to the original mix of aloe and water? I want to try it with the glycerin this weekend.

Short answer: I don't know!

Long answer:
At the time of the writing of that article I am sure I had exact measurements. I just eyeball it whenI make it for me. I do about:

• 1/4 to 1/2 cup aloe vera whole leaf gel
  • 2 tablespoon of oil to 1/8 cup
  • 1 -2 tablespoon of glycerine
There's no water!

HappilyLiberal

Short answer: I don't know!

Long answer:
At the time of the writing of that article I am sure I had exact measurements. I just eyeball it whenI make it for me. I do about:

• 1/4 to 1/2 cup aloe vera whole leaf gel
  • 2 tablespoon of oil to 1/8 cup
  • 1 -2 tablespoon of glycerine
There's no water!

Thanks... I actually would have noticed there's no water when I looked at the recipe for the mixture. I haven't done this in a few months so I forgot. I am trying to get into good habits (for everything) during November and December so I can enter the new year on a roll!

HappilyLiberal

@Chicoro... My hair has a lot of product buildup. Is it OK to use a chelating shampoo then use this pre-poo, then go ahead with my regular wash/conditioning regimen???