Your Best Hair Growth Advice...

Jewell

Hello, ladies! What are your best ideas regarding fast, healthy hair growth? What have you all done that really works? Since we have so many pages, it will help to have most of the tips compiled here! What are the best hair growth supplements? I'll start with one:

-Balanced diet with good amounts of protein. My best hair growth supplement/nutrient I've found so far is biotin.

SouthernGirl

Protein, Protein, and more Protein!!!!!!!!!!

I get it by taking HF37 and I have adopted a high protein/low carb lifestyle. My hair is growing like weeds because of it!

I had to stop Surging because I don't want the extra growth. I thought I'd never say that :)

HTH,
SG

PoeticJustice

SouthernGirl said:
Protein, Protein, and more Protein!!!!!!!!!!

I get it by taking HF37 and I have adopted a high protein/low carb lifestyle. My hair is growing like weeds because of it!

I had to stop Surging because I don't want the extra growth. I thought I'd never say that :)

HTH,
SG

Co-signing this for sure!! I do it by Surge, egg whites, and protein shakes!
Good diet, exercise and stimulating the scalp, too!

Aside from that, I think the vitamins made my hair grow (or at least aide in my new growth coming stronger): Biotin, B5, B-complex and MSM, along with a good multi-vitamin.

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
What really made my hair grow is washing w/mild soap or conditioner washes every 2 or 3 days followed by deep conditioning for at least 1 hour. I've been doing this for about a month now and am seeing great results.

SouthernGirl

Justicewifey said:
Co-signing this for sure!! I do it by Surge, egg whites, and protein shakes!
Good diet, exercise and stimulating the scalp, too!

Aside from that, I think the vitamins made my hair grow (or at least aide in my new growth coming stronger): Biotin, B5, B-complex and MSM, along with a good multi-vitamin.

Yup! Those eggs are key!! I eat two boiled eggs every morning (unless I run out, then it's turkey bacon). I eat three if I decide to scramble- usually on Saturday mornings when I have more time.

And no, my cholesterol levels are perfect :)

miracle

My hair tends to grow fast on it's own, so I haven't really noticed if any products have increased the growth rate. But, I'd definitely say that hydration/moisturization have been the key for keeping it healthy. Increasing my fluid intake (especially water) and moisturizing my hair daily has made a big, positive difference as far as decreasing shedding/breakage and adding sheen.

Last edited:

Lorraine

* Leave your hair alone (avoid pulling it, brushing it, anything rough)
* Only trim when you need to
* Avoid heat at all costs (If you must use heat on it that day, try not to put keep the iron on it very long. You can avoid heat all year then damage it in one sitting if you use too much heat on your hair)
* Never go to bed without wrapping your hair or invest in a satin pillowcase

* Only relax/texturize when it's time (not according to the calendar)
* Healthy diet

Netta1

1. Let your hair be

2. Do protective Styles

3. Use your commonsense

4. Don't worry about your hair

Stormy

Lots of Moisture and wearing protective styles has contributed the most to my hair growth. Sorry, I don't have an album right now, but you can visit: http://www.stormysteele.com that photo will shows a year's (maybe a year and a half) progress from growing out a very short haircut. I started with 2 inches.

BAILEYSCREAM

Don't use too many chemical services in your hair. Be especially aware of permanent colour, that stuff is evil especially if you already have your hair processed (relaxed etc).

Permanent colour with ammonia & peroxide = Dryness & Breakage

Keep your hair moisturised
Take vitamins
Eat healthy
Don't overuse heat, if you do, protect your hair.

I have more and I'll be back:)

ETA:

1.Drink plenty of water

2.Gatorade or and herbal teas (without caffeine) are good for hydrating the body as well

3.Consistent healthy eating habits, veggies, fruits, lean meats, whole grain cereals and Vitamin supplements

4.Exercising - good circulation is great for hair follicles, sebacous oil gland to promote healthy hair growth

5.Minimize stress - one of the leading causes of hair loss

6.Washing & conditioning hair on a consistent basis, once weekly or bi-weekly

7.Clarifying shampoo should be used once a month to remove product buildup that could be the cause of dullness, lack luster, hair that lacks free flowing movement.

8.Maintenance products should be chosen based on textures, chemicals used on hair lifestyle

9.Style maintenance products should be used daily to keep hair strands lubricated, preventing hair from being dry & brittle.

10.Sleeping on cotton pillow cases or the use of cotton scarves should be avoided period. This is an absorbing fabric which tends to leave hair very dry looking (wash scarves and pillow cases weekly).

11.Use silk, satin, scarves and pillow slip covers

12.Clean combs, brushes weekly or bi-weekly

13.Be consistent with chemical services, extensions or any type of hair augmentation to prevent breakage and matting, dreadlocking. Every 5-10 weeks depending on your rate of growth.

14.Use a heating cap or hooded hair dryer when conditioning hair for better penetration, 15-30 minutes cover, with plastic cap.

15.Change shampoos & conditioners every 3-6 months. Change is great, can be the difference in shine, body, luster and validity-movement

16.Condition hair every time you shampoo. No such luck of them being combined and really work! Either you are conditioning your hair, or shampooing your hair.

17.Always use a leave in conditioner. A Must! It's a needed protective barrier

18.Always protect your hair from the sun, especially long extended periods outdoors with hats, wraps or scarves

19. Protect hair from chlorine, put a thick crème conditioner like: Queen Helene Cholesterol. If long enough put hair in a couple of braids, use a swimming cap. When finished swimming rinse well, shampoo and condition hair. Remember, chlorine is an active ingredient, very harsh and harmful on relaxed and natural hair

20.It is best to let a licensed professional stylist do your chemical services.

21.Blow dryers, curling irons and other hot tools should be used/kept on a moderate temperature setting to prevent singeing or burning hair. Usage should be kept at a minimal, substitute hot rollers for curling iron some days.

22. Be consistent with hair care services whether in salon visits or home maintenance.

23.Coloured treated hair may be enhanced, refreshed with shampoo's and conditioners with colour pigment.

24.Hair should be trimmed every six to eight (6-8) weeks or depending on style, hair growth may need to be trimmed every 4 weeks to maintain style and shape.

25.Rubber bands, scrunchies, barretts, yoyetts etc. tension should be moderate, never should you feel pulling or discomfort.

26.Medications will affect the visual look of your hair, dulling lackluster, thinning, shedding, brittleness, be sure to drink plenty of water, rinse hair well, may need to use aloe rid by "Nexxus" once a month to remove compounds from medications.

27.Certain medications will or can affect chemical relaxer and colour treatments, making hair resistant or processing time may vary. Hair loss, breakage and or brittleness

28.Professional and non professional products do have differences in quality, intensity, coverage, penetration, damage factoring results, and final conditioning results, lye and no lye relaxers do vary in results.

29.Extensions, hair augmentation services should be cared for as your own hair, use a mild conditioning detangling shampoo. Hydrating Shampoo by Affirm is great! Always brush hair tangle free, before washing/shampooing. It is best to shampoo in the shower. Keep hair all in the same direction, use the squeezing motion, technique for good results, follow with conditioner, Hair Moisture Mask by Biologe is great for softening and detangling.

30.On any hair services, consultations are highly recommended to ensure best results

31. Avoid getting chemical services around your cycle, especially pre, usually tend to be more hypersensitive, scalp tends to be more sensitive. Also, avoid making drastic hair cut or colour changes around your cycle, rational thinking tends to be impulsive and regrettable. Always give change a lot of thought, consider lifestyle, workouts, family with children, etc.

32.Remember every style and colour is not for everyone. Choose what compliments your total look from head to toe, wardrobe, makeup and sense of style. (this is not really a hair growing tip);)

33.When changing hair colour please remember to change make-up color schemes, it will or can make the difference. (this is not really a hair growing tip);)

34. Get scalp conditions such as sebhorrea, psoriasis? Eczema, ext. treated by a dermatologist, most professional stylist can not write prescriptions for pharmaceutical. Meds home remedies many times worsen conditions.

35.Be Truthful about the history of your hair, previous chemical services, medications taken, products used etc. Withholding info, or not being truthful, could possibly be the result of worsening/damaging hair further.

36.Don't chair hop, (aka "hairdresser whore"), which leads to uneven chemical processing. Bad chemical combinations, over processing etc.

37.Do be versatile, Do be realistic!!

This information is taken from http://www.michellerenee.com/haircare.html

Last edited:
For me:

Exercise (I'm quite out of shape now, so I need to follow my own advice).

Trims (I know, I know, that's an obscene word around here :lol:) - personally speaking I have to have a tiny trim every now and then. I wear protective styles 95% of the time, but when my ends look a little frizzy, I don't hesitate to get rid of em.

Using a silk scarf each night.

Stormy

Oh, and I forgot to add stretching out my relaxers! That's a big one for me. I went from every 4-5 weeks as suggested by all of the hairstylists I went to, to 8 weeks (sometimes 10-12).

LDebagoria

Leaving your hair to rest as much as you possibly can! The simpler you keep it i.e. moisturizing, washing, conditioning, scarf wrap...the more your hair loves you! At least that's how my hair is! But exercise, water, and a good multi-vitamin are pretty awesome for my growth also! :grin:

so1913

Regular Deep Conditioning (once a week)
Tie hair up every night (silk/sating scarf)
Minimal heat (only on wash days, not in between)
Leave in conditioners
Regular Trims
Not chemically processing hair earlier than needed (helps avoid overlapping/overprocessing)

Cinnabuns

In all honesty my best hair growth advice to anyone is to join this forum. I have learned so much here that I can't really list it all. :)

Last edited:

sweetcakes14

I have learned soo much from this hair forum, I just don't know where to begin, but here are a few that stand out:

- MOISTURE, MOISTURE, MOISTURE (especially those ends)
- Washing hair weekly (not walking around with sour hair)
- Wearing protective styles
- Alternating between moisturizing and protein conditioners
- Extending relaxers (my last relaxer, I went from my normal 8 weeks to 12 weeks and I plan on continuing)
- Detangling with conditioner in the hair
- Detangling with Jilbere comb. It's the only comb that i use now!
- Try different things and see what works for you. Not everyone's hair is the same!

Neroli

1. no heat, no heat, no heat (I've eliminated heat, it wasn't easy, baby!)
2. stretch relaxers (I went from 6 weeks to 12 weeks, very easy!)
3. lots of moisture, moisture, moisture (gotta retain those ends!)
4. proteins around touchup (nexxus emergencee before & after, easy baby!)

Can yall tell I've been watching Kojak?!