Your hair grew because...

Should she return the ring?

• Total voters

Zsazsa6275

I haven't read through most of this thread. But one thing that worked for me was drinking aloe vera juice mixed with orange juice (or any juice). And I'm talking about from my grandmother's yard, not the health food store (though I'm sure that may work, too). My hair has always been long but it got really long when I was drinking it. This happened to my aunt, as well.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Co-washing, dc'ing and Lenzi's Request. I would say vitamins, but I was so inconsistant with them, I don't think they made a difference

Miss*Tress

The best products are not available in France and I don't take supplements regularly...

I used to get touch-ups every 4 months even before LHCF...

I didn't trim my hair for nearly 2 years...

So that leaves no heat styling! Plus regular moisturizing and protective styles.
ETA: Also changing stylists helped. The first one was overprocessing my hair, i.e. relaxing previously relaxed hair and leaving it on for too long.

Last edited:

Mahalialee4

Just a thought: Stylists these days are more trained in putting in weaves and slappingh on gluing on lace fronts. Or spinning fantasy styles for "weave queens". They are not interested in just "hair" or "your goals". Just in "being creative andbeing able to demonstrate that they are up on the latest new "weave or straightening TECHNIQUE". bonjour

AtlantaJJ

Just a thought: Stylists these days are more trained in putting in weaves and slappingh on gluing on lace fronts. Or spinning fantasy styles for "weave queens". They are not interested in just "hair" or "your goals". Just in "being creative andbeing able to demonstrate that they are up on the latest new "weave or straightening TECHNIQUE". bonjour
Agreed, Stylists that are into hair care are rare and hard to find. I think I found one here in the suburb of ATL. I need help if I am going to wear a relaxer, I feel like I can talk with her since I'm presenting with some challenges. I pray that she will become part of my equation for a healthy long head of hair in the near future.:rolleyes:

Amarech

I stopped trimming my hair so much...

That was the turning point for me.
Same here. There was a time when I needed to dust and trim regularly but not any more. There really is no need. Despite the damage I have done to it recently (OD'd on protein) I'm still getting length. My hair is just a lot thinner at this point.

natstar

My hair has been growing really well since I started washing every other week, trimming less and keeping my hair moisturized (esp my ends), and low manipulation protective styles (like twists braided up).

Avaya

Yes she should give back the ring and my hair grew because I stopped putting heat in it and manipulating it frequently. :yep:

It was a combination of protective styles and alternating vitamins.

I wore my hair in a bun everyday for 6 months.
Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun - I took a One a Day vitamin
Tues, Thurs, Sat - I took GNC Ultra Nourishair.

elegantamazon

I'd say my hair grew because I went natural for three years. It helped me to learn how to take care of my hair because I wouldn't go to the salon. I never used heat, and now that I'm relaxed I rarely do. And when my new growth comes in, I happily run my fingers through it instead of rushing to get a relaxer. I stretch 12-16 weeks and I'm now only about 3 inches from brastrap. Oh, and conditioner washes are GREAT, especially since I work out a lot.

spelmanlocks

I'm able to retain more length since I began stretching my relaxers to 13 weeks, using a protein treatment once every two weeks, and only detangling my hair in the shower.

GinnyP

That was the turning point for me also. I went to this stylist for an entire year who would CHOP my hair off after my relaxers. Once I ditched her my hair took off!
Ditch the itch, I am so sick and tired of hair stylist wanting to cut your hair after a relaxer, per my stylist "I want to make your hair even" she did not ask

What is up with them spraying sprinz(sp) in your hair, and using that small comb pulling all your hair out--- I strongly dislike this stylist

Iluvsmuhgrass

Over the past year I can truly say that it was little to no heat, getting rid of stress, vitamins, bt, and leaving it alone. I'm still tweaking because my hair changes like the wind.:spinning:

ajoyfuljoy

This is my 500th post!!!

:yay::dance7::woot::bdance::bouncy::club::circle::lots::thewave:

I'm just excited you gals! I love LHCF so much!!!

And my hair is growing b/c I don't use direct heat and I moisturize/condition all the freaggin' time. Oh yeah, protein treatments helped stop my breakage.

Last edited:

confusedhair

I think you should cut your at least 1/2 every month for your to grow you should cut it so you won't have split ends. Maybe you put me on to how to grow with less split ends I am new to this whole thing :look:

est.April1983

if you trim .5 in every month and your new growth is about .5 in you will most likely not see any progress it'll be like running in the same place. granted you will have nice ends but if you growing out your hair do dusting for split ends and trim as needed. protective styling low manipulation and moisturizing the ends will help in between the trims. I trim every 4 months about half of an inch but I dust and clip like an 1/8 of an inch every 6 to 7 weeks. Hope that helps

Last edited:

Islandspyce

I got past the shoulder length point when I started going to the Dominican salons every 2 weeks. I think it was because they straightened my hair so well with the rollerset/blow dry roots, that it was easier for me to deal on my own, I didn't use any products at home. All I did for the last year or so is just wrap and go, I put away my curling iron and trim every 3 months or so.

Dogmd

my hairdryer broke last year and I never replaced it.

no heat , conditioning washes and this wonderful site has helped my hair grow and retain it's length.

stargazer613

low-heat
protective styling
daily moisturizing
scalp massages w/jojoba and rosemary oil
multivitamin + b-complex
lots of water, protein, fruit and veggies

Last edited:

Nice & Wavy

I got past the shoulder length point when I started going to the Dominican salons every 2 weeks. I think it was because they straightened my hair so well with the rollerset/blow dry roots, that it was easier for me to deal on my own, I didn't use any products at home. All I did for the last year or so is just wrap and go, I put away my curling iron and trim every 3 months or so.

I have to say that my hair is growing as well nicely since going to the Dominican salon since September. It was growing before that, but it is now stronger and seems alot thicker since I've been getting it straightened. I too have been wrapping and going and it has been such a blessing to me. I put a little coconut oil on my ends and it has been great!