Your hair grew because...

Should she return the ring?

• Total voters

Cinnabuns

Hands down, no-heat has really helped me achieve length and retain mositure. Until I came to this forum I never knew that I was robbing my hair of mositure and causing split-ends from using heating applicances such as, curling and flat irons, blowdryers on high settings, etc. I'm so glad that I have said good-bye to those items for good. :)

Aggie

For me, I noticed that since I started frequent washings, co-washings, and deep conditioning that my hair started to grow faster along with taking my vitamins of course.

Traycee

I would say deep conditioning, I stopped blow drying, Rarely use heat, co washes (keeping scalp clean)...Vita mens , Healthy diet, Exercise ,and plenty of Sleep

tricie

I retained length because of:

-stretching relaxers
-Ayuredics (no shampoo detergent)
-babying my hair
-using growth aids (yes, I do feel like my growth rate has increased since using MN and BT mixtures; my ng is thicker and "longer" than before growth aids)
-vits that promote health from the inside
-finding a stylist that knows the meaning of dusting
-head massages with essentials oils
-leaving it alone (protective styling)

Last edited:

KAT25

That was the turning point for me also. I went to this stylist for an entire year who would CHOP my hair off after my relaxers. Once I ditched her my hair took off!

That is the same experience that I am going through. I keep saying no trim.. no trims.. no cuts!!! :wallbash::wallbash:

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
OMG this is so off topic:: Lorraine you were my first hair idol, I saw your fotki and followed you over here...That does sound stalkerish... but is what it is...lol

aquajoyice

What helped me really retain length which wasn't a choice in the poll was protective styling. That and low heat/manipulation is key for me.

silenttullip

bump

I chose conditioning and vitamins because the months I've been doing this I've noticed less hair shedding and more length. I credit futurebiotics and aubrey organics conditioners.

What's made it safer. LHCF and me doing my own research. I use to just get whatever product was on sale, drag little combs through my hair, wash with shampoos that weren't for my hair because I didn't know any better, and scratch like I don't know what after using damaging medicines on my hair from the doctors that still didn't help.
Now I have the right tools (fingers *BIG SURPRISE TO ME*, seamless large tooth combs, plastic bags for dcing something I never did, vitamins, water bottle for hair, scalp oils and pomades that won't suffocate my scalp, and understanding protein isn't for my hair. In short my hair is better because I took my mom's advice of treating my hair like a baby I respond to it's needs and it thanks me.
As for growth I did my first actual length check *a good flat ironing* this month. I'll do another in June I think and see how the growth department is. Oh I said safer because my hair was in serious danger of all being chopped off.

Polyesterdiva

Lye relaxers, no heat, and higher end products that made my hair uber manageable (so I didn't have to fight with it) changed my hair!

Products that I love: Fekkai Glossing Poo and con, Bumble and Bumble, and Emergencee, Giovanni!

~NanCeBoTwin~

My answer is not in the poll:

My hair grew fine before the boards, so my answer is more about retention. I'd never make it past SL, because that would be the point where my hair would start to break at the crown. YEAR after YEAR....it never dawned on me how sensitive that area was, once I got that controlled, I burned my hair out, I went from SL to between EL and NL.

For me learning how to use heat appliances properly, cowashing, and stretching relaxers, has helped me to retain length.

Last edited:

beans4reezy

My hair is retainining length because I have developed a regimen which consists of conditioning (DC and Cowashes), daily moisture, protective styling and minimal direct heat.

blessedandlucky

i did a number of things that have helped me retain more length:

* i stopped trimming my ends every relaxer.
* i reduced my heat use to wash days only, which are every 7-10, sometimes 14 (i know, i know) days.
* i incorporated deep conditioning and protein treatments into my regimen. i also stopped using shampoos with sulfates and became more conscious of the ingredients in the products i used. i also eliminated silicons for the most part and mineral oil.
* i paid more attention to my ends by moisturizing them and being more gentle.

these things have made a world of difference to me. i anticipate being full mbl by the end of the year:)

Last edited:

Vashti

My hair always grew (except last year when I was very sick) but I could never retain length.

I stopped using styles that broke off my hair line and my ends
I started moisturizing every day
Baggying my hair each night (these days it's more like every other night)
I stopped dry combing
Went back to deep conditioning once a week
Vitamins and MTG

Also I actually started paying attention to my hair (if I see too many hairs coming out in my comb/hands/shower/sink I don't just shrug and ignore it because I now realize it means I need to change how I handle my hair or change something in my regimen.)

Americka

ITA w/ Vashti! Growth was not my issue, retaining length was. I had dramatic amounts of breakage and was still SL and close to APL. I have since learned:

• I can achieve cute styles without using a flat and/or curling iron daily
  • Co-washing eliminated my dandruff problem
  • My hair loves deep conditioning (so therapeutic!)
  • My hair loves protein
  • Stretching my relaxers has added fullness to my hair
  • Supplements are a must for me - they add strength to my new growth

Esq.2B

Weekly deep conditioning, protein/moisture balance, stretching relaxers, and I'm guessing the supplements have helped too.

caribeandiva

Human being
My hair grew because:

-I shampoo and deep condition with moisturizing products 2x a week

-I moisturize daily.

-I limit heat usage and use heat protectants when I do use heat.

-I have the right protein balance.

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
*stopped using heat so often (about once every 2-3 months)
*stopped dry combing
*no fine tooth combs, only wide
*stopped trimming so often (1cm every 6 months)
*moisturize daily
*strictly using no heat/low manip styling
*DIY styling and trimming
*stopped dying my hair all together

Last edited:

brucebettye

The main thing that help my hair is no heat. Everything else I do also help, but my hair cannot take direct heat on a regular basis.

dollface0023

My really gained it's length from Deep Conditioning & protective styling.

I've had my hair sewn up in weaves for 3 months and my hair is now the longest that it's even been...

Bnster

For me starting taking care of my hair #1.

Powering myself with health care for my hair #2
which lead me to clean it more frequently, taking vitamins, moisturizing, sealing and PS.
Learned about protein and porosity control. With the addition of co-washing and combing with care I can now retain my length.

Babying those ends baby makes a world of difference (bagging method)! #3.

bryantgurls

My hair grew because:

-I shampoo and deep condition with moisturizing products 2x a week

-I moisturize daily.

-I limit heat usage and use heat protectants when I do use heat.

-I have the right protein balance.

Yep, yep!!! Same here! Except that I only shampoo and DC once a week...

Last edited:

Toy

My Hair grew because of protective styling, deep conditioning,condition washes and moisturizing.