Votes: 36 6.5%
  • Neither did anything/Never Used

Votes: 100 17.9%
  • APX. Same Results/Used together-Cant tell

Votes: 84 15.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

angellazette

I've been checking out my nails lately and my nails usually grow to a nice length and break off. Lately they've just been growing and are very strong. I'm not doing anything special besides taking MSM so I'm sure that's the reason. As far as my hair I don't know but I was rubbing a section of my hair that seemed incredibly soft compared to the length of my hair. I had just done a honey/oil treatment so I don't know if it was the treatment, MSM or my imagination lol

Here's my nails:

firecracker

alwayzalady22 said:
can we put this issue/rumor to bed right now? on various msm posts, i hear people say that msm is loosening up the whole strand of hair...but is that even possible? i thought it could only change your new growth, not hair that was already out of the scalp? :confused:

Well I think there maybe some truth to that whole hair strand thingy. I forgot to take my MSM with me for a week on holiday. My hair seems to have hella shrinkage now and is acting strange. :ohwell: I think its due to the lack of MSM. My right cheek which had a patch of bumps cleared up though and no crazy dreams. :grin:
I was just telling a member maybe the lack of MSM is effecting my new growth which is causing the shrinkage. I am back on them so I should see a difference in a few weeks.

RosesBlack

I had to cut out biotin supplements about six months ago. My skin was going buck wild and I couldn't get it under control at all. I am loving my MSM. My skin is clearer, nice glow, my arthritis has been better, nails are growing strong and it's helping with my hair growth.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
With BOTH vitamins, you must drink plenty of water or suffer breakouts. Of course those breakouts could simply be a way of your body cleansing itself. I totally think that the biotin is helping me nails grow fast and hard. My nails are way long and I have to get them done now every two weeks rather than 3 or 4 weeks. The MSM keeps my NG very nice and soft so that I can stretch my relaxers longer. However, I take it for my joints, since I have PAINFUL runner's knee.

LawyerBarbie07

How long before results?

How long did it take you guys to see results after starting msm? I think I'm headed to whole foods to buy some tommorow. Biotin broke me out soooo bad so I wont be going back to that.

ebonylocs

AtlantaJJ said:
how cool is that?? MSM may cause you to break out but it can help heal the breakouts at the same time ??!!?? Go figure?

Actually, I think it's just two sides of the same process. MSM (sulphur) cleanses and detoxifies. When you break out, what's happening is that because you're ingesting the MSM, the cleansing is taking place from the inside out - the MSM is pushing the impurities to the surface of your skin.

So if you apply the MSM on the outside, it stands to reason that it will purify the outside as well. I'm gonna try it.

variant_vi

When doing any type of detox you should drink water as a way for your body to aid in easily flushing out toxins. It really does depend on your diet also. IF you were to eat unhealthy foods while trying a lemon juice detox, do you think it would work? No. So we have to eat and drink healthy :D

alwayzalady22

i've posted a few times about biotin breaking me out every time i tried to move up from 2000mg to just 3000mg...i started taking a b-complex with vitamin c time release from puritan's pride, and i've been able to go up to 4000 mg with NO BREAKOUTS! :yay: even though i take a multivitamin, i think sometimes having too much of one b-vitamin (biotin) w/o having complementary amounts of the other b-vitamins to help that biotin synthesize is really what leads to the breakouts :yep: i also noticed that when i started taking the b-complex, my pee wasn't highlighter-yellow all day :p after about my 3rd or 4th pee of the day (i drink a TON of water), my pee turned a normal color, mostly clear with a slight yellow tint...i know a lot of ladies were concerned about peeing all their vitamins out, so this experience leads me to believe that if you don't have the right vitamins working TOGETHER, you may end up shortchanging yourself, cuz you may be able to absorb more of the vits (even the water soluble ones) than you realized! HTH :)

Nikki253

Shaniquah said:
Oooh, oooh! I'm with you on the Biotin, I was just too through with my face :cry3:This went on for a couple of weeks, but now it's finally under control. Maybe drinking more water will help. Not sure on what it's done for my hair, but my nails are certainly thanking me!

Girl I am with you!!! I worked so hard and long on clearing my skin and wanted so badly to try this biotin, even though I read that some people experienced breakouts...but that is what I get for not listening to my gut!!!:nono: However, my nails were growin like crazy!!!

dillard

Qetesh said:
Any suggestions on dosage

same question here... has anyone used a low dosage of Biotin (less than 1000mcg) and had noticeably good effects?

Y'all are scaring me about the Biotin now. I don't wanna go around looking like something in one of y'all's crazy dreams!!...:perplexed :D

Right now I'm taking a MultiVitamin, Iron supplements for my anemia, and Udo's choice Oil blend (which has flax seed and a bunch of other stuff). It's only been one wk for the last one so no difference yet. I'm thinking maybe I should wait a month or 2 then add the Biotin if I don't see any results...???

Josie

Hi Ladies,

I've also had a case of the zits from Biotin. I used 1000 mcgs.

I just read an article about MSM, and it mentioned that Biotin and vitamin C help the body to assimilate MSM. Interesting!

Brownie518

I stopped taking MSM a couple of months ago becaue I wasn't comfortable with the drastic menstrual changes I experienced. I just take Biotin now.

tt8

Chiiiilld I am scared bout this msm and biotin showing up like a proactive before photo on my face. So what are we gonna do? Have we come to the conclusion
a. that they are better in lower dosages
b. they are better together as a team in lower dosage
c. seperately in high dosage/lots of water
d. or not at all?

Cuz I dont want to exchange one problem (growing my hair out) for another (growing some zits) LOL! :lol:

Extremus

damn it. i already have skin issues. i don't need anymore. but here i go with the biotin and msm anyway. i'll just drown myself in water.

I tried to do that, but as soon as I skipped a day without enough water, my bumps came and I was itchy all over! I just finally said it's not worth it :nono:

Hair Iam

I believe from reading all the comments on this thread , if you taking biotin and MSM you have to take vitamin C to absorb them and B- complex to balance, neutralize the combination- just my humble opinion.I take all of the previously mentioned and I have glowing skin, growing hair,softer looser curl, soft skin, no break outs and I'm not even consistent with my water intake...no dreams , no weired side effects...I really believe it is the combo.

I've been using Biotin 5000mcg for months and I started MSM powder 1 month ago, I'm starting on my second bottle:yep: this week:yep:

p.s
lower dosages of Biotin make me break out :nono:

Last edited:

PuffyBrown

Rexall Super Potency is the same brand that I am using. I take 2of those a day, and Spring Valley MSM I take 4 of those a day.

My hair is noticible thicker. I think the MSM is helping but I was taking it before and I didnt get any noticible hair changes. It is for my knees, my hip bursitis(sp) and heel spurs. I just up'd the dosage a couple of weeks ago, hopefully I will see and increase in length.

Same here but noticed more growth and thickness once I took a higher dosage of the biotin(when I start taking 1500 mcgs 2x a day) that was Rexall brand.I was also taking Folicure hair vitamins( so maybe w/the 3000mcgs and hair vitamins it helped grow fast).I've always taken only 2,000 mg of MSM(out of the few brands I've tried) The MSM also helped w/ hip pain that I had during pregnancy and after giving birth( when I walked felt like my hip was dislocated).

PuffyBrown

If I have vitamin C in my hair vitamin, is that enough.

How many mgs of Vitamin C do you need to compensate for each mcg of msm or biotin?

Where is Gymfreak?

NaijaNaps

I take both currently - for the past month now.

I'm def seeing slightly more growth but don't know if it's a combination of other factors.

I haven't had any issues with breaking out but I think my BC takes care of that. I used to have oily skin and now it's dry. :ohwell:

gymfreak336

If I have vitamin C in my hair vitamin, is that enough.

How many mgs of Vitamin C do you need to compensate for each mcg of msm or biotin?

Where is Gymfreak?

Hey Stella..........

Msm and biotin both are sulfur bearing, msm more so than biotin. The total mechanism behind why biotin works so well for hair skin and nail issues is not fully understood but it does help contribute to your overal sulfur content and it helps with metabolism of protein. Taking indivual amino acids like Cysteine can also increase your sulfur intake and with those, the recommended vitamin C amount is not less than 1/2 of the total mg of amino acids you are taking. Since MSM and biotin seem to easier for your body to assimulate I would say that the vitamin C amount can be a little less than what is recommended for amino acids. So instead of 1/2 you can try 1/3 instead. So if you are taking 3000mg of msm a day, aim for around 1000mg of vitamin C. I wouldn't stress adding extra C if you are taking biotin and a multi because vitaminC is added to just about every thing now. The multi and your day to day beverages would be enough. For msm, if you vitamin C intake is pretty good already and your are not experiencing headaches then I wouldn't worry about it. If you do the above but are still concerned then try taking 500mg of vitamin C for every 1500mg of Msm you take.

PuffyBrown

You are a GodSend!

Thanks girl..

Hey Stella..........

Msm and biotin both are sulfur bearing, msm more so than biotin. The total mechanism behind why biotin works so well for hair skin and nail issues is not fully understood but it does help contribute to your overal sulfur content and it helps with metabolism of protein. Taking indivual amino acids like Cysteine can also increase your sulfur intake and with those, the recommended vitamin C amount is not less than 1/2 of the total mg of amino acids you are taking. Since MSM and biotin seem to easier for your body to assimulate I would say that the vitamin C amount can be a little less than what is recommended for amino acids. So instead of 1/2 you can try 1/3 instead. So if you are taking 3000mg of msm a day, aim for around 1000mg of vitamin C. I wouldn't stress adding extra C if you are taking biotin and a multi because vitaminC is added to just about every thing now. The multi and your day to day beverages would be enough. For msm, if you vitamin C intake is pretty good already and your are not experiencing headaches then I wouldn't worry about it. If you do the above but are still concerned then try taking 500mg of vitamin C for every 1500mg of Msm you take.

Aggie

MSM is great for my overall health and biotin is growing my hair and nails for sure. I also noticed some thickness coming in as well and this is really my aim right now - to gain some thickness in my hair. MSM and biotin go hand in hand though for hair growth along with some B-Complex vitamins and lots of water.

AtlantaJJ

What is a good amount of MSM & Biotin to to take per day to see a differnce in hair growth. I'm currently taking both now but I want to make sure I'm taking an effective amount.

Thanks!!

AtlantaJJ

I've been checking out my nails lately and my nails usually grow to a nice length and break off. Lately they've just been growing and are very strong. I'm not doing anything special besides taking MSM so I'm sure that's the reason. As far as my hair I don't know but I was rubbing a section of my hair that seemed incredibly soft compared to the length of my hair. I had just done a honey/oil treatment so I don't know if it was the treatment, MSM or my imagination lol

Here's my nails:

Totally OT -- >>Love your siggy picture!!! :yep:

AtlantaJJ

Why is it that Biotin causes acne for so many of us? I wonder what it is and if you continue to take it does it clear up? Because I think I had the problem too in the beginning but I kept taking it because I was losing my hair at the time. Now I don't get acne at all except around my cycle time, I'll get one or two. I wonder if the body adjusts over time with the biotin.... hmmmmmmm

Last edited:

AtlantaJJ

I answered my own question, it does get better over time and you have to drink a LOT of water but it is worth it because my hair and nails are growing like crazy!

miss Congeniality

I never took either long enough to notice a change in growth, but my skin did go crazy and my dreams became "intense". I blaim myself because I am not really a water drinker.

2themax

I first started MSM and did get weird dreams and some headaches. :wallbash: I increased my water intake and then all that I noticed was MUCH thicker hair - not so much for the growth. Also, my hair seemed much "harder" and I had a lot of extra waves near my scalp?? I was told that was new growth?

I began taking Biotin 10,000mcg/day in addition to my MSM 2000 - 3000 mg/day & other supps. I then started getting pimples. So I started taking B-Complex vits, Vit C and drinking more water - about 80-96 oz/day, since the Biotin & MSM seem to dehydrate me.

Now, my hair and nails are growing much, much faster, stronger and thicker, my skin is glowing and the headaches have stopped. I wasn't trying to get thickness, but I guess it comes w/ the territory:rolleyes:

Unfortunately, due to the excessive water intake, I make a lot more trips to the little girl's room, but It's Worth It!. If this keeps up, I plan on reaching my hair goal!! (I wish I knew how to post my picture(s).:ohwell:

Overall, both Biotin & MSM makes my hair grow faster & thicker. And because they are water soluble, I don't need to worry about OD'ing on them. Just remember, to drink as much water as possible!!

Valerie

In my Nature's Plus, there is 2 mg of biotin an d 500 mg of MSM, I take an extra 2 mg in the morning and 5 mg in the evening. I have found that my nail growth is very fast indeed, my hair has got a lot thicker, and I don't get any breakouts and I drink and lot of water to flush my system out, I have also started using MSM as a hair rinse, adding it to my conditioner and adding to my hair scalp products, with biotin so hopefully in a months time, I should see the benefits.