Anyone else having a hard time rollersetting after protein trmnt??

blackberry815

Just wondering if anyone else has a hard time rollersetting their hair after a protein treatment. My hair is relaxed fine and I can't seem to get the comb to glide through nicely after a hard core protein treatment. it always feels so hard to comb through it after a protein treatment (I've tried dudley's drc and aphogee 2 step). I'm thinking of maybe blow drying instead of rollersetting on protein days but I would hate to use heat to get my hair smooth. any tips?

I always avoided any kind of manipulation on protein days. Because the hair is harded from the reconstruction, it is easier to break off. When I do Ayurveda or protein, I just bun my hair.

When Im doing a regular co wash and DC is when I rollerset. I would suggest do rollersets on those days only. Good Luck!

I have an excellent suggestion:

If you have fine hair, I recomend deep conditioning before you shampoo. That means wetting your hair (or not) and deep condition your hair first, then rinse out. Follow up immediately with a moisturizing shampoo.

Then apply your leave-ins. You may do better with a watery leave-in if your hair is fine. Let me know if this works. HTH

Yes, my hair is tad more resistant to smoothing on rollersets after a medium to hard protein treatment. I have to use a big boy moisturizing deep conditioner afterwards (I use Kenra MC then) but I can still the difference. Now, I just stick to heat styling on those days since heat styling and protein treatments = swang for days for me.

yes a little, I Use Duo tex by soft sheen so its strong butt not hard under 10 bucks for a 33.oz its like five bucks i follow up with a deep moisture like kera care humecto in the tub its thicker than the bottle unless you get the one with the new label and a moisturizing creamy leave in ntm therapy and my hair is really soft after i only use the aphogee 2 min keratin. Maybe you should try a low manipulation style that day or give yourself a heat pass
any other questions @ me

http://www.johnsonproducts.com/products/ultrasheen/duo-tex-protein-conditioner/

Last edited:
blackberry815, I don't do hard protein treatments but even after using light weight protein, my hair isn't as soft. I have to really saturate the hair or air dry.

sharmeans, my best sets are after a cowash.

You guys are right. Maybe I will give myself a heat pass on protein days even though it does seem a bit counter productive to me. Air drying is definitely a no no for me after I hit 6 weeks post.... its tangle, tangle, breakage at that point.

This happens to me too so I am going to try Angelicus's way of using a protein treatment pre-shampooing and then follow up after the shampoo with a deep moisturizing conditioner or mask. I prefer my hair as supple as possible so KeraCare Humecto should work fine.

This would happen to me every time after doing a hard core protein. I found out by accident that if I dc'd over night with a really moisturing conditioner it would make my hair wonderfully manageable. I used Aphogee 2 step and silk elements mixed with kenra the last time I did this. Talk about shine and swang.

Yes I do! And after all these years I have just realised that my hair doesnt like too much protein! I have to use the maxiglide afterwards just on the roots or lightly on frizzy sections.

I've been out of the loop for a while, just paid my subscription so I'm back!! After I've done a hard core dc I use a good moisturizing conditioner and baggy with it on overnight. That seems to work for me.

Back