Fine Haired Ladies who Henna...

ayoung

Question(s) for u. I know a lot of you say it strengthens ur hair etc...so

Do you henna in place of a protein treatment or conditioner?
or r u doing both and/or alternating?

Also---do you add any protein conditioner to your henna mixture?

Also--have you found applying your henna to be to much manipulation for your fine strands?

Thx ladies!:)

ayoung1981 said:

Also--have you found applying your henna to be to much manipulation for your fine strands?

I love henna and I henna a lot.:D Through trial and error, I found for my fine hair a henna gloss is best so I don't have to deal with rinsing or detangling issues. I mix henna with coconut milk, olive oil, methi powder and a lot of Dominican conditioner. I use only a tablespoon of henna which is plenty for my fine hair. I do this once or twice a week. Since the oil, conditioner and milk provide so much slip, I don't have any detangling/rinsing issues.

I do a full henna application 1x per week, in addition to my regular protein treatment. I find that my henna treatments KNOCK OUT shedding INSTANTLY. I mix my henna with amla, shikaki, & honey. I also indigo 1x per month. Soon I will start adding indigo to my mix to maintain my blackest-black.

Question for ladies getting gray streaks:: When you do the henna application, do you rinse it out or shampoo it out BEFORE you apply the Indigo, and how long do you leave the Indigo on before you get the hair to turn black? Or do the gray streaks turn BLACK after the henna immediately followed by an Indigo treatment or do they just turn dark red or brown? Thanks for replies.

Thanks hennagirl!

I've been sticking with the Cassia so I think I may be ok!

Thanks for ur input ladies!

hennagirl said:
I love henna and I henna a lot.:D Through trial and error, I found for my fine hair a henna gloss is best so I don't have to deal with rinsing or detangling issues. I mix henna with coconut milk, olive oil, methi powder and a lot of Dominican conditioner. I use only a tablespoon of henna which is plenty for my fine hair. I do this once or twice a week. Since the oil, conditioner and milk provide so much slip, I don't have any detangling/rinsing issues.

I second this

I do henna glosses in place of a protein treatment. You must follow-up with a moisturizing conditioner. I'm a little pass bra-strap, so I use 4-5 tablespoon of henna. I mix the henna like hennagirl with coconut milk, alma oil (love this stuff), conditioner, and olive oil. I do these treatments on dry hair as it work better for me 1-2 times per month. I find if I do these treatment too often breakage occur from over saturation on my thin strands.

I believe henna glosses are better for thin and fine hair ladies than full on henna treatment, which tend to be harsh and very drying to our strands.

Good luck!!!

so... instead of using cassia, to do a henna gloss you use henna, and mix it with condish & oils? what constistancy do you make it? do you mix it all up together and use it right away, or does the henna have to be prepared and sit awhile before use? i am a little short of APL, so I guess I would use like...1-2 tbsp of henna?

I have very fine hair and I use henna on dry dirty hair. It is mixed with alma, honey and coconut oil and indigo. I mix all the ingredients except the indigo, allow the dye in the henna to release overnight and then I mix the indigo and water. I allow the dye in the indo to release and then I combine the henna mix and the indigo. This mixture is easy to rinse out, my hair is not hard nor really tangled and my grey turns a cooper color while my hair is a rich chestnut to walnut brown. My grey looks like hi-lights. Whatever is left of the mixture I feeze until next time.

I use about a half a cup of honey and half a cup coconut oil. Usually use a heating cap w/ my henna for an hour and then I shampoo (I find this rinses the henna better) w/ a moisturizing shampoo and condition.

hOnii said:
so... instead of using cassia, to do a henna gloss you use henna, and mix it with condish & oils? what constistancy do you make it? do you mix it all up together and use it right away, or does the henna have to be prepared and sit awhile before use? i am a little short of APL, so I guess I would use like...1-2 tbsp of henna?

2 heaping tbsp should be enough. I like my consistency to be like yogurt, thick yet pliable.

My hair has extremely fine strands (I should have said did have-before henna). I dont use any protein treatments. It would be too much for my hair. The henna itself makes my hair so strong that it doesen't need anything else to strengthen it. It would be overkill.

Hope this helps.

Softresses

ETA, my pics may look deceiving but it is fine stranded, there is just a lot of it.

ladytq said:
I second this

I do henna glosses in place of a protein treatment. You must follow-up with a moisturizing conditioner. I'm a little pass bra-strap, so I use 4-5 tablespoon of henna. I mix the henna like hennagirl with coconut milk, alma oil (love this stuff), conditioner, and olive oil. I do these treatments on dry hair as it work better for me 1-2 times per month. I find if I do these treatment too often breakage occur from over saturation on my thin strands.

I believe henna glosses are better for thin and fine hair ladies than full on henna treatment, which tend to be harsh and very drying to our strands.

Good luck!!!
Monthly henna glosses have been beneficial for my finr hair too.

I used to use both henna & a protien treatment - henna on week 1, protien on week 3. As it got hotter, that was too much protien for my hair, so instead of a straight protien treatment on week 3, I mix a little of the protien treatment into my DC conditioner, and apply that. My hair is liking that for now - I suspect I'll go back to the full on protien treatment as it get cooler again.

No, no, and many times over, no! My hair would be sad & brittle if I did that - I add a cheapie conditioner to my henna/water mixture.

Not at all - mixing it with the conditioner makes it super easy to get into my hair and rinse out - no more stress than applying a regular hair treatment would be.

I was doing both. I would henna once every 8 weeks and protein treat every 6 weeks but I think that's a bit much so now I'll be sticking to henna only unless my hair starts feeling like it NEEDS protein.

I ALWAYS add a deep moisturizing conditioner to my henna along with some essential oils, honey and indigo.

Henna is wonderful! Adds beautiful highlights or color and makes my hair feel super strong and silky!

When the glossing method is used (spooning the powder into the conditioner), does the color deposit into the hair or does it just add shine?

If you wanted color with the glossing method, would it be better to let the henna develop over night and then add a small amount of the developed henna to the conditioner vs the straight henna powder?

I would love the benefit of the color and strengthening without the sticking in my hair, dryness and tangles issues.

:bouncy::bump:Just wonderin'....I think I'll try developing the color first then adding it to a pile of conditioner with some oil mixed in...and I'll wait until I'm about 5 weeks post relaxer....

Where are you ladies getting your coconut milk? Is this the sameone on the baking isle at the grocers? Any patricular brand you are using and how much is added to your mixture. TIA :look:

When the glossing method is used (spooning the powder into the conditioner), does the color deposit into the hair or does it just add shine?

If you wanted color with the glossing method, would it be better to let the henna develop over night and then add a small amount of the developed henna to the conditioner vs the straight henna powder?

I would love the benefit of the color and strengthening without the sticking in my hair, dryness and tangles issues.

Hi There! I most def got color deposit when I did my henna gloss. I mixed 2 TBS of the henna with Suave coconut condish and let the color release overnight. My hair felt stronger and looked thicker instantly, I definitely had dryness after though...... As far as tangles go, when washing the mixture out of your hair do it with conditioner rather than shampoo.

Can anyone provide any suggestions with dryness, I probably could have mixed some oil into my mixture?

To combat the dryness, I follow my henna gloss with a deep conditioner (Pantene relaxed and natural Mask or Ion Extreme Moisture).

I get the coconut milk from the 'Asian' food section of the store - make sure it's JUST coconut milk - no sugar, etc.

I add conditioner and honey to my henna to combat the dryness, and moisturize again after I rinse the henna out.

Thanks NW for responding to my coconut milk question! Other?...I would like to henna tomorrow morning and I've dissolved1.5 Tbsp in equal amt of water and set it to develope 3hrs ago.Should I add more henna since I will be using the coconut milk and how much CM should I use since I also like to add EVOO as well to my mix? TIA!
ETA: I just re-read Hennagirl and Ladytq prior post and will tweak my recipe with some of there tips.:yep: Thanks ladies.

Last edited:
Hi There! I most def got color deposit when I did my henna gloss. I mixed 2 TBS of the henna with Suave coconut condish and let the color release overnight. My hair felt stronger and looked thicker instantly, I definitely had dryness after though...... As far as tangles go, when washing the mixture out of your hair do it with conditioner rather than shampoo.

Can anyone provide any suggestions with dryness, I probably could have mixed some oil into my mixture?
Oh now that's smart!! Develop the henna in the conditoner !! By Job!! Let me think... I have some Lustersilk Jojoba cholesterol..... or even better I wonder how it would do in Silicon Mix? That always makes my hair really soft and moisturized.....hmmmm :brainy:

Thanks NW and Lissa on the moisture tips!
Oh how about some castor oil? Now if that don't get your hair moist, nothing will...and a bit of vegetable glycerin....okay now I feel a mixologist urge coming on!!

Yes thanks everyone for the good tips, the con wash vs shampoo will help as well.

I use Cassia since my hair is already naturally auburn with highlights (people ask me about my color all the time). I mix it with alma and olive oil. I always follow up with a deep mositurizing conditioner (ORS replenishing pack, peppermint oil, honey, olive oil, and cayenne pepper). I never have tangles or dryness, and my hair is strong.

Unfortunately, my patience have diminished, and I don't take the time to do it as much as I used to

How often are you ladies doing henna applications? As someone suggested I did a henna gloss yesterday and got good results, I was amazed at how easy it washed out of my hair. Just trying to strike a good balance. I don't want to overdo a good thing.

Back