Anyone Here Using Ylang Ylang for Hair Growth?

Isis

As I mentioned on another thread, I've just started using Ylang Ylang together with my other essential oils such as rosemary, lavender and jojoba on my scalp. Ylang Ylang is supposed to stimulate hair growth in the way rosemary does. It stimulates the follicles. It also smells similar to jasmine. If you've had any experiences with this essenial oil, I would love to hear about it!

Hey, Isis!

Frankly, I think ylang ylang is better for moisture rather than growth stimulation. I've used ylang ylang in a variety of ways, including herbarl rinses and in oil blends.

I'm sure you know this, but just go easy on how much you use 'cause it can really give you a headache...it's almost sickenly sweet if you are using it constantly.

I would recommend palmarosa, clary sage, cedarwood and even eucalyptus to you as additions to your oil blend, rather than ylang ylang. With summer, you might even try some orange or blood orange, too.

~Jade~

Thank you Jade21 (thank you too ladies) for sharing your experience with it and for your suggestions. I had no idea it was better for moisture than growth, which is actually great. The smell can be intense - I've used it sparingly so far with my other oils. It really does smell like jasmine, which also can be quite intense. I do have some orange essential oil, which I've only used to make a cleaning solution with.
laugh.gif
I'll check it out though. I did read that Ylang Ylang harmonizes with Lavender and citrus. I read more recently that Ylang Ylang is known as an aphrodisiac too! However I use it, it won't go to waste!
laugh.gif

The article excerpts below are two of many I found:

http://www.antiagingchoices.com/Aromatherapy/ylang_ylang_oil.htm

[ QUOTE ]
It balances oil production when used as a hair conditioner, and people in the Philippines and tropical Asia use it to protect their hair from the damages of swimming in salt water.  It's good for all skin types, but especially those with combination skin.  An evening bath with ylang-ylang oil helps chase away daily tensions and restore calm and balance.  Ylang-ylang is very effective when applied before shampooing to treat split ends.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.mjhealthandbeauty.com.au/descr/eoylang.htm

[ QUOTE ]
ENLIVENING - A few drops added to your shampoo or rinse water encourages healthy hair growth and makes a balancing brilliantine for oily hair

[/ QUOTE ]

Isis, (this is off topic, but) you are something else. You do so much research. You must be very smart. I might need u to help me with some college research papers or something.
grin.gif

[Off topic] Well, I think I had enough of college to last me a while although I will always love learning about new things. That's why I'm so addicted to LHCF - there's so much to learn about haircare and more from all of the knowledgeable and intelligent ladies here, including you!

Anyone else have experiences or suggestions to share about this essential oil? I found a couple of sites to post yesterday thinking no one has ever tried this (there were no replies last time I checked) and then Jade21 shared her experience and she has ultralong hair to prove she knows her stuff! I'm going to check out those other essential oils she mentioned too.
Any other suggestions about this?

I love ylang ylang! I always combine it with lavendar, rosemary and clary sage, and more recently cedarwood, in my blends. I've never used it as my only EO, so I don't know what it does for growth and/or moisture, but I trust what Jade has to say on this because she's a GURU, an amazing resource
smile.gif

I don't use enough of it to find it overpowering.

HTH

Thanks Cherish! Jade21 really is an amazing resource.
smile.gif

What does cedarwood do? I know a little about the clarly sage but not the cedarwood.

Bump: 3 years later :) I was thinking of purchasing some Ylang ylang...has anyone experienced positive results?

Bump: 3 years later :) I was thinking of purchasing some Ylang ylang...has anyone experienced positive results?
:lol: @ "Bump: 3 years later" I like bumping older threads too for new info. Sometimes you can find gold. ;)

I can't tell how Ylang Ylang works individually since I always add it to other oils. I just add a drop or two since it's so strong.

I have a little squeeze bottle with Ylang Ylang, lavendar, jojoba, rosemary, clary sage and castor oil which I massage on my scalp as a pre-poo. It's very good. :yep:

I forgot all about adding Ylang Ylang to my shampoo though. I'll make a note to add a drop or two to my diluted shampoo/water bottle. :yep:

Yes, I use Monoi Ylang Ylang oil and mix it with rosemary, thyme, cedarwood and lavender. These EOs are supposed to stimulate hair growth and I got the idea about these after reading an article about a study using these EO's for alcopecia.

Out of the Monoi oils I like Ylang Ylang the best, I used it alone first before I got the idea to mix it. it feels really good on my scalp and doesn't seems to clog my pores easily

Yes, I use Monoi Ylang Ylang oil and mix it with rosemary, thyme, cedarwood and lavender. These EOs are supposed to stimulate hair growth and I got the idea about these after reading an article about a study using these EO's for alcopecia.

Out of the Monoi oils I like Ylang Ylang the best, I used it alone first before I got the idea to mix it. it feels really good on my scalp and doesn't seems to clog my pores easily
How much of it did you use when you used Ylang Ylang alone? Did you wear it on your scalp or was this a pre-poo?

I use it in conjuction with other oils...not individuallly. So I don't really know the long term growth effects. Would love to know more though!!!!

I use in my MN mix along with rosemary, cedarwood, lavendar, tea tree, and peppermint esential oils. I only use a few drops also and I have no adverse effects from it. I do like the smell of it.

I love ylang ylang. Sometimes I use it alone on my scalp and other times I mix it with other stuff. I do use it for growth and have been getting good results. I love the smell, so I have no problems putting several drops on my fingertips and then applying it directly to my scalp.

Bumping for 2010. I just started using it today. I added a few drops to my conditioner. I also added 30 drops to my EO mix for my thin crown area. The smell is interesting. We will see how it works. I am also using S8 on my scalp & hair. :drunk:

Last edited:
Bumping for 2010. I just started using it today. I added a few drops to my conditioner. I also added 30 drops to my EO mix for my thin crown area. The smeel is interesting. We will see how it works. I am also using S8 on my scalp & hair. :drunk:

I bought a 1 oz bottle and add a few drops to my deep conditioners. I have no idea if it works, but hey there's nothing wrong with trying.

I was just looking at various EO's online yesterday. I was considering getting some various types, including Ylang Ylang, which is also known as "Poor Man's Jasmine." I love the smell of both Jasmine & Ylang Ylang. I haven't met an EO or nutritive oil I didn't like. I didn't know it was good for follicle stimulation. Wow, you learn something new er'day.

Last edited:
I bought a 1 oz bottle and add a few drops to my deep conditioners. I have no idea if it works, but hey there's nothing wrong with trying.
It actually made my comb out really easy. My hair felt moisturized after I rinsed the conditioner out. I plan on adding a few drops to my fav shampoo as well.

Back