DIY Kinky Twists...HELP!!!

itsjusthair88

Chronically at BSL -_-
So I've done my YT homework, I've got the hair and I have the braiding and twisting down pat (trust me, I practice ALL night instead of going to club, like I wanted to:ohwell:) but I have ONE issue: I can't get the hair close enough to my scalp; no matter what I do, I slide the hair, I pull it taut, etc etc...when I finish the twist I have a good amount of hair between my scalp and the twist

Can somebody help me?!?!?! I am determine to stay in this house and finish this hair this weekend, I'm tired of wearing wigs (they make me hot!) and I am in HYH 2011

Thank you so much in advance for any tips or suggestions!

Aviah

Oh boy... I want to do kinky twists on myself in the near future, do I'd like to know too!

MzSwift

I wish I could help b/c my latching sucks. I still use my cheat method but it involves rubber bands. Keep on practicing, you'll get it.

If you don't, maybe you can hide your hair until the next time you have time to practice.

MzSwift

Oh yeah, for twists, I can get closer to the scalp when I start w/twists instead of braids.
There's a girl on YT (lyndapratt something, I think) and she has a great video showing how to start twist extensions w/twists. HTH!

danniegirl

For me its always about 2 things 1:my ratio of fake hair to my hair: its always easier for me to get the braids/twist tighter if i use more fake hair then my hair and 2: the tension: i have to actually keep the same tension until the braids/ twist are done or it becomes lose at the root.

one more thing when i first started out my braids and my twist were really small but after doing them for some time there now big

Anywho just practice and dont give up you will get it

hhj

kblc06

ITA with this post. One thing I like to do to keep tension is the following:

- When looping the fake hair around the section of the hair you play on braiding, make sure you don't incorporate the fake hair just yet (i.e. make sure your 3 sections of hair consist of the 2 artificial hair sections and your natural hair). Start incorporating your natural hair into the braid or twist starting at 2-3 inches from the root

- When starting the braid, (it's the same method for kinky twists or braids), I like to place my finger over the knot, keeping the hair applied as close to the scalp as possible and pull outward as I'm braiding, but not too tightly. It's kinda hard to described but you should kind of feel a knot forming at the base of the scalp where the braid begins.

HTH :)
For me its always about 2 things 1:my ratio of fake hair to my hair: its always easier for me to get the braids/twist tighter if i use more fake hair then my hair and 2: the tension: i have to actually keep the same tension until the braids/ twist are done or it becomes lose at the root.

one more thing when i first started out my braids and my twist were really small but after doing them for some time there now big

Anywho just practice and dont give up you will get it

hhj

Last edited:

itsjusthair88

Chronically at BSL -_-
Thanks ladies I've started and it's taking me forever...because I take a break every two dang twists! LOL, but I saw a video on YT with a method I've been using and it works! I need to find the video again, but the young lady wraps the fake hair "around" the root twice before starting to braid...while holding it taut, it has been working pretty good actually. I'll be sure to show pics when I'm through...tomorrow! LOL