DIY:Perfecting Kinky Twist

Ladybelle

Hi ladies, just hoping i can get some help. I'm going on vacation next weekend and want my kinky twists to look professionally done-- only thing is i have to do them myself. I've done them twice before and they came out nice enough, but this time I want them to be darn near perfect.

Soooo, for those who DIY can you offer some tips or suggestions?

Here are the questions I have (feel free to add other advice):

1) Is it easier to start with a braid or a twist on your own head?
2) how do you maintain uniformity/neatness throughuot the whole twist?
3) do you part your hair into sections and then just braid each section?
4) PARTING- what do you do to maintain even and/or straight parts?
5) Do you brush the extension hair first? I've seen tutorials that say to do this and others that don't.
6) with hair that is pre-sectioned, do you use the entire sectioned piece or do you seperate it also?

I think I know the various techniques but just want to employ the methods that will yield the neatest, nicest look.

Thanks!

eta: i plan on starting tonight so I can be done by Monday.

I just put kinky twists in my daughters hair, I'm not ambitious enough to try this style on myself. I think what helped me most with parting was sectioning her hair first. I parted her hair from ear to ear, put the back in a ponytail, then split the front into 2 sections from hairline to crown like so
clip_pic05_lrg.jpg

I secured the front sections, and started braiding the back section first, row by row, from the bottom up. Once that was done, I did the same in with the front sections. I've never started a twist without a braid, so I don't know which is easier. I maintain neatness by making sure I'm not only twisting one strand over the other, but also twisting each stand individually as well. I don't brush the extension hair before I install it, and I split the pre-sectioned hair into 3.

ETA: I apologize if I did more harm then help :lol:

I just put kinky twists in my daughters hair, I'm not ambitious enough to try this style on myself. I think what helped me most with parting was sectioning her hair first. I parted her hair from ear to ear, put the back in a ponytail, then split the front into 2 sections from hairline to crown like so
clip_pic05_lrg.jpg

I secured the front sections, and started braiding the back section first, row by row, from the bottom up. Once that was done, I did the same in with the front sections. I've never started a twist without a braid, so I don't know which is easier. I maintain neatness by making sure I'm not only twisting one strand over the other, but also twisting each stand individually as well. I don't brush the extension hair before I install it, and I split the pre-sectioned hair into 3.

ETA: I apologize if I did more harm then help :lol:

No, you helped out tremendously. Thanks! With the brushing, this is an extra step I was hoping i can possibly skip and shave some time off the total braiding process.
If that's your dd's hair in the pic- it's beautiful!

Last edited:
You're very welcome. That's not my dd's hair...a 6 year old with a color :lachen:
shaw.jpg

Her fro is about twice that size now. She's my hair idol. :yep:

You're very welcome. That's not my dd's hair...a 6 year old with a color :lachen:
shaw.jpg

Her fro is about twice that size now. She's my hair idol. :yep:

:lachen: :lachen::lachen: You are so right! What was I thinking??? DUH! Sorry about that, please excuse my dumb moment. :blush: DD is super cute though and her hair is also beautiful. THICK & HEALTHY- an awesome combination.

:lachen: :lachen::lachen: You are so right! What was I thinking??? DUH! Sorry about that, please excuse my dumb moment. :blush: DD is super cute though and her hair is also beautiful. THICK & HEALTHY- an awesome combination.
Thank ya, thank ya. She just told me she wanted some pink streaks, girl bye!!! :lachen::nono::lachen:

ok so im not a pro but i have been told my kinky twists do look professional and since not many are chiming in i'll throw in my lil 2 cents:
1. i cut the presectioned hair in half and one half per twist
2. i split the half in half and then join the hair together again with one piece facing the opposite way (to get both ends even - i hope this makes sense)
3. i pre-moisturize my hair the day before and put NO NEW product on my hair
4. i place a dab of the gel (GF FIBER GUM) on the fake hair
5. i do not do neat parts in the back....only the front
6. i keep the twist tight while i twist and keep my fingers close to twisting edge of the hair
7. i use curlers and hot water to curl the ends
8. i always start with a braid (crown and glory technique) to prevent pulling at the root too much
9. i do NOT brush the har first...

for pics please see my fotki, folder "WIGS = MY PROTECTIVE STYLE"
(i know i know.....deceptive title but hey i was planning on wearing nothing but wigs this yr ;)

ok so im not a pro but i have been told my kinky twists do look professional and since not many are chiming in i'll throw in my lil 2 cents:
1. i cut the presectioned hair in half and one half per twist
2. i split the half in half and then join the hair together again with one piece facing the opposite way (to get both ends even - i hope this makes sense)
3. i pre-moisturize my hair the day before and put NO NEW product on my hair
4. i place a dab of the gel (GF FIBER GUM) on the fake hair
5. i do not do neat parts in the back....only the front
6. i keep the twist tight while i twist and keep my fingers close to twisting edge of the hair
7. i use curlers and hot water to curl the ends
8. i always start with a braid (crown and glory technique) to prevent pulling at the root too much
9. i do NOT brush the har first...

for pics please see my fotki, folder "WIGS = MY PROTECTIVE STYLE"
(i know i know.....deceptive title but hey i was planning on wearing nothing but wigs this yr ;)
'
So do you twist/twist?? While you're twisting the whole braid you are also twisting each individual piece of hair?? How long does it take you?

Hi ladies, just hoping i can get some help. I'm going on vacation next weekend and want my kinky twists to look professionally done-- only thing is i have to do them myself. I've done them twice before and they came out nice enough, but this time I want them to be darn near perfect.

Soooo, for those who DIY can you offer some tips or suggestions?

Here are the questions I have (feel free to add other advice):

1) Is it easier to start with a braid or a twist on your own head?
i start with a braid...it's just easier for me.
2) how do you maintain uniformity/neatness throughuot the whole twist?
i do the first few in the mirror, then it becomes muscle memory.
3) do you part your hair into sections and then just braid each section?
yup -- i do the back first, then work up to the sides, then i do the front, then the crown.
4) PARTING- what do you do to maintain even and/or straight parts?
i don't in the back, since they are never seen. (i also do those a bit bigger.) on the sides/top, i part my hair and put it in regular two-strand twists, then undo the twist and retwist it with the kinky hair in it.
5) Do you brush the extension hair first? I've seen tutorials that say to do this and others that don't.
never -- but i do wash it with ACV and water.
6) with hair that is pre-sectioned, do you use the entire sectioned piece or do you seperate it also?
i cut it in half.

MY PROCEDURE:
*wash, DC, and blowdry my hair...wash the extension hair, 1 cup ACV in a sink full of water
*two-strand twist my hair with miss jessie's baby buttercreme (preferably) or hawaiian silky 14 in 1...that way the parts are already done, and if i have to stop and pull them up into a bun/ponytail before i finish, you can't really tell that it's not finished
*start at the back...then move to the rest of my head
*insert multiple breaks
:lachen:

HTH
see my answers above -- i have pics in my fotki in both my sister's album (lilmama's hair) and in my july album from last summer. Mook ("Mook's hair") has one in her fotki as well, and her braids/twists always look very professional.

'
So do you twist/twist?? While you're twisting the whole braid you are also twisting each individual piece of hair?? How long does it take you?

yes, i twist each piece of hair one direction and then twist the two twisted strands in the opposite direction that they were individually twisted (i hope this makes sense, if not, look at this youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-PPsh1_Np0 - if you need more videos please let me know :)

it took me 11 hours last time i did my kinky twists (i foolishly did then quite small):spinning:

yes, i twist each piece of hair one direction and then twist the two twisted strands in the opposite direction that they were individually twisted (i hope this makes sense, if not, look at this youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-PPsh1_Np0 - if you need more videos please let me know :)

it took me 11 hours last time i did my kinky twists (i foolishly did then quite small):spinning:

Thank you very much!! After my last attempt, I'm too tired to try again any time soon. I did finish my whole head, but they turned out more like sister locks than kinky twists:lachen:. So, there's something off on my technique. When i do them on my mannequin, it's soooo pretty and neat, but when i put my hands in my own head... :wallbash:

and yeah, send me more videos if you can. I search youtube, but i can never seem to find the wonderful videos that always end up on LHCF.

OK, Kinky twists stay better when twisted along the strand but is it harder to remove them with added hair when time to remove them?

and yeah, send me more videos if you can. I search youtube, but i can never seem to find the wonderful videos that always end up on LHCF.

here are all the kinky twists video i saved as favs :)

How to start kinky twist or senegalese twist with a twist

kinky twist tutorial

Kinky Twists Tutorial

TWIST begin as TWIST not Braids

please note: i only watch these for twisting technique, i start all my twists as braids (crown and glory technique) so that i don't twist too tight

OK, Kinky twists stay better when twisted along the strand but is it harder to remove them with added hair when time to remove them?

in my experience getting kinky twist at shops, it's not hard to take them down with added hair, pretty much just unravel them to the braided part (if the twists start with a braid). On average, it takes me one hour with no distractions/breaks to take down a full head of kinky twist w/extensions and two hours if i do it leisurely.

Back