1 Corinthians 11:15 re: long hair

missyT

I am currently studying the book of 1 corinthians and cam across the verse that states:
" but if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For it is given to her as a covering" (NIV)

This verse is said with regards to how one should worship God and whether or not it is necessary for a woman to cover her hair. My interpretation of this is that the woman with long hair does not need to cover her head because she has her hair, but where, then where does this leave those who don't have long hair?

Anyway my undersatinding is limited, so please tell me what do you think this verse means?

Koffie

missyT said:
I am currently studying the book of 1 corinthians and cam across the verse that states:
" but if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For it is given to her as a covering" (NIV)

This verse is said with regards to how one should worship God and whether or not it is necessary for a woman to cover her hair. My interpretation of this is that the woman with long hair does not need to cover her head because she has her hair, but where, then where does this leave those who don't have long hair?

Anyway my undersatinding is limited, so please tell me what do you think this verse means?

What i get from it, from reading my bible is that a woman's hair IS her glory, so that means she must cover it in going before God.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
In talking about head coverings and length of hair, Paul was saying that believers should look and behave in ways that are honorable within their own culture. In many cultures long hair on men is considered appropriate and masculine. In Corinth, it was thought to be a sign of the male prostitution in the pagan temples. And women with short hair were labeled prostitutes. Paul was saying that in the Corinthian culture, Christian women should keep their long hair. If short hair on women was a sign of prostitution, then a Christian woman with short hair would find it even more difficult to be a believable witness for Jesus Christ. Paul wasn't saying we should adopt all the practices of our culture, but that we should avoid appearances and behavior that detract from our ultimate goal of being believable witnesses for Jesus Christ and demonstrating Christian faith.

Hope that helps! ;)

Koffie

Poohbear said:
In talking about head coverings and length of hair, Paul was saying that believers should look and behave in ways that are honorable within their own culture. In many cultures long hair on men is considered appropriate and masculine. In Corinth, it was thought to be a sign of the male prostitution in the pagan temples. And women with short hair were labeled prostitutes. Paul was saying that in the Corinthian culture, Christian women should keep their long hair. If short hair on women was a sign of prostitution, then a Christian woman with short hair would find it even more difficult to be a believable witness for Jesus Christ. Paul wasn't saying we should adopt all the practices of our culture, but that we should avoid appearances and behavior that detract from our ultimate goal of being believable witnesses for Jesus Christ and demonstrating Christian faith.

Hope that helps! ;)

I've had the wrong interpretation all this time, thanks for that. :)

Poohbear

Koffie said:
I've had the wrong interpretation all this time, thanks for that. :)
It's okay. ;) See, when Paul wrote 1 Corinthians Chapter 11, his main concern was irreverence in worship. Although this matter of head coverings seems insignificant, it had become a big problem because two cultural backgrounds were colliding. Jewish women always covered their heads in worship. For a woman to uncover her head in public was a sign of loose morals. On the other hand, Greek women were used to worshipping without head coverings.
So in his letter to Corinth, Paul had already spoken about divisions in the church and scruples. Both were involved in this issue. Paul's solution came from his desire for unity among church members and appropriateness in the worship service. He accepted God's sovereignty in creating the rules for relationships. :yep:

sugaplum

Star Shooter
Poohbear said:

Hope that helps! ;)

Thanks Poohbear. What I thought of this verse was way off. :rolleyes:

Poohbear

sithembile said:
Poohbear

That is exactly how my pastor (who is also a Bible college lecturer) explained it to us.
Interesting! This is something I learned back when I was in high school. I used to think having short hair was bad too but I'm glad I know this about this particular scripture. :yep:

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
Poohbear said:

Hope that helps! ;)

Good girl Pooh! May I add or shed more light?

IN vs. 14: Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

ETA: We have to remember this is the HOLY BIBLE. These are scriptures for us to live by. It is not a history book. It is in there for a reason. We can't say, "That's for them"

Also vs. 15:.....for her hair is given her for a covering.

As Jessica so eloquently explained, :up: two cultures were colliding. He had to dispell the Jewish man-made laws (they had to be constantly reminded that they are now under grace) of women covering their hair in public and during worship. Remember, we worship not only in services but also with our lifestyle. How we walk and talk, giving Glory to God, worship in spirit and truth. Walking in truth.

He had to let them know that God gave us our hair AS our covering, automatically. Basically telling the Jewish women "No need to cover" and telling the Corinth women "don't shave, cut, shear your hair it is a shame to you by nature." (vs.6)

Same with the men, nature itself tells us, not only culture, but God put that within us from day one. Cultures have changed nature. Men are to keep their hair cut short; trimmed. Women are to not cut, trim, shear, shave their hair. As a child of God, born again of water and of Spirit, one must take their place in God's order: God, Jesus(the man, mediator) The Man of God(Pastor), Husband, Wife, Children....:yep:

This hair thing gets pretty deep. Man is the IMAGE and glory of God. Woman is the glory of man. We have power on our heads because of the angels! :yep: :yay: :yep:

Here is a great book that takes a deep look at hair throughout history and it's spiritual significance.

My Hair, My Glory I read this when I first came into the church.

She also wrote a book for Black sisters: Her Ebony Glory

I've never read it but I'm going to order it.

~op~

Last edited:

Poohbear

One_praying, thanks for sharing even more light on this subject. :yep:

Culture has changed nature. I never thought about the fact that men cut their hair short now. I wonder if it had to do with the idea that some cultures saw long hair on men as prostitutes or inappropriate when in fact other cultures saw it as masculine and appropriate. I wonder if men know about the origination of this idea that men should have short hair.

Poohbear

blessedangil03 said:
In alot of denominations women use church caps to cover their head (hair). Is it wrong for them to continue to do so?
Really? Interesting! Do you know what denominations do that because I never heard of women still doing it today??? I don't know if it's wrong; they just don't HAVE to do that. If it's a part of their culture/belief, I don't see anything wrong with it.

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
Poohbear said:
One_praying, thanks for sharing even more light on this subject. :yep:

Culture has changed nature. I never thought about the fact that men cut their hair short now. I wonder if it had to do with the idea that some cultures saw long hair on men as prostitutes or inappropriate when in fact other cultures saw it as masculine and appropriate. I wonder if men know about the origination of this idea that men should have short hair.

As the years went by. It became a sign of rebellion on both the man and woman's part. In Sis. Jasinski's book she studies the 1920's era of the "Bob" hair cut. Women were literally passing out in the barber shop because they never saw their hair so short.

Once, my little cousin, he was about 2 years old at the time, pointed to a girl with a twa(not by choice, but because her hair wouldn't grow longer) and said,"She got boy hair!" No one taught him that boys are to wear their hair shorter he just knew it. Just like sin, no one taught us how to sin, we just knew to lie, and cheat, and hit...etc.(that's another subject though.... ;) )

Eventhough, in some African cultures some women's hair would only grow a certain length however, we have learned here on the boards that with proper moisture, diet and care our hair CAN and WILL grow long. Yet there are some women whose hair growth cycle is a lot longer than others. Then genetics and so forth.

Think about it, the roles are being reversed. Take a good look around.... :look:

As far as whether men know their "place" or know about their hair should be short or long. They know, some just don't care.

They have been blinded by the god of this world. The gospel of Christ, His teachings, the Apostles doctrine(teachings) the Bible itself has been down played some much that even things that are spelled out in black and white, of which once were obeyed, have been completely ignored and said to , "Not be for us" .... :(

sithembile

In my country, many women cover their hair when going to church and wear skirts. It is a matter of culture, as long as you are still modest/decent I don't believe that the style of dress, hair etc matters. But we must always be sensitive to the culture we live in (of course, we are not to compromise our standards). Eg, when I go home, I never wear pants to church, not because I can't but out of respect. But in England I wear pants to church. The apostle Paul talks about us having the right to do certain things, but that we should forego those rights so as not to offend other people or cause them to stumble (I thinks its in Corinthians).

Poohbear said:
Really? Interesting! Do you know what denominations do that because I never heard of women still doing it today??? I don't know if it's wrong; they just don't HAVE to do that. If it's a part of their culture/belief, I don't see anything wrong with it.

Yes, as a matter of fact I attend Haitian churches and my mother is a strong believer in covering her head. This is done in alot of the Haitian Pentecostal churches. The one my mother attends is Church of God of Prophecy. I know the COGOP Americans don't do this but alot of Caribbean pentecostal churches practices this. I also have a friend that attends a black holiness church and I've seen several hispanic women and they wear church caps too. Maybe it is a cultural thing but it could also be the way they interpret the Bible or their doctrine.

Sweet C

Poohbear said:

I agree they don't have to do it, but if that what you do, hey I have no problem with it. I grew up in a Pencostal church where I did have to wear skirts anytime I went to church (but not the little scarf thing on the head). That church is a lot more lax about it now, but if I walked up in there with pants on, I already know one of the mothers WILL pull me aside. So out of respect of tradition, when I go back home to visit my parents, I make sure I wear a skirt/dress to church.

The only problem that I personally have with such traditions is when they are used to place people in bondage. My friend use to go to a real old school Penecostal church and they had the no makeup, long skirts, head-covering rules, and she told me that if you are saved, this is how you are suppose to look. Out of respect, my friend wore the skirt, was never big on makeup (neither am I really), but she didn't like the hair thing, so she didn't wear it (note: at the time she wasn't saved, but this is what her mom made her wear). Now when such traditions get mixed up as being "gospel", this places folks in a state of bondage, which actually can draw people away from the true knowledge of Christ. One of the missionaries at my church commented on a similiar situation she had with her mom who basically said the same thing, that this is what u are to look like if you are saved. And she told her that "just because you are dressed in sackcloth, does not make you holy nor consecrated before God, b/c there are temple prostitutes in sackcloth too."

sithembile

SweetC
You are right, many times we use traditions to control and burden people, just as the Pharisees did. We need to stick to the gospel truth, not man-made laws and customs.

Poohbear

sithembile said:
SweetC
You are right, many times we use traditions to control and burden people, just as the Pharisees did. We need to stick to the gospel truth, not man-made laws and customs.
You've got that right!!! :up:

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
Sweet C said:
I agree they don't have to do it, but if that what you do, hey I have no problem with it. I grew up in a Pencostal church where I did have to wear skirts anytime I went to church (but not the little scarf thing on the head). That church is a lot more lax about it now, but if I walked up in there with pants on, I already know one of the mothers WILL pull me aside. So out of respect of tradition, when I go back home to visit my parents, I make sure I wear a skirt/dress to church.

The only problem that I personally have with such traditions is when they are used to place people in bondage. My friend use to go to a real old school Penecostal church and they had the no makeup, long skirts, head-covering rules, and she told me that if you are saved, this is how you are suppose to look. Out of respect, my friend wore the skirt, was never big on makeup (neither am I really), but she didn't like the hair thing, so she didn't wear it (note: at the time she wasn't saved, but this is what her mom made her wear). Now when such traditions get mixed up as being "gospel", this places folks in a state of bondage, which actually can draw people away from the true knowledge of Christ. One of the missionaries at my church commented on a similiar situation she had with her mom who basically said the same thing, that this is what u are to look like if you are saved. And she told her that "just because you are dressed in sackcloth, does not make you holy nor consecrated before God, b/c there are temple prostitutes in sackcloth too."

There is scripture for holiness in dress...not man-made. God does tell us how we are to dress. It is bondage if the Holy Ghost isn't doing it in you.

ChosenbyGod

onepraying said:
There is scripture for holiness in dress...not man-made. God does tell us how we are to dress. It is bondage if the Holy Ghost isn't doing it in you.

That's right. I am NOT in bondage because of the way I dress now, in fact, I was IN bondage when I was doing my own thing and dressing however I wanted to dress.

1 Corinthians 6:20 - For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

I can't dress however I want. Like Onepraying said, there is scripture for holiness in dress; some people just don't want to look hard enough in the Bible to find anything that goes against what they want to do. And that's the truth...:ohwell:

Poohbear

The way we dress in church reflects our preparation for the worship service. Back in the Bible days, everything relating to worship was carefully prepared and maintained so the priests and churchworkers and all the people could enter worship with their minds and hearts focused on God. In our busy world, it's easy to rush into our one day a week Sunday worship service without preparing ourselves beforehand. We reflect and worry about our week's problems. We pray about whatever comes into our minds. We do not meditate on the words we are singing. But God wants our worship to be conducted "decently and in order." Just as we prepare to meet a business associate or invite guest, I bet we prepare and dress up nice for that, we should carefully prepare to meet our Lord in worship the same way.

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
Poohbear said:
The way we dress in church reflects our preparation for the worship service. Back in the Bible days, everything relating to worship was carefully prepared and maintained so the priests and churchworkers and all the people could enter worship with their minds and hearts focused on God. In our busy world, it's easy to rush into our one day a week Sunday worship service without preparing ourselves beforehand. We reflect and worry about our week's problems. We pray about whatever comes into our minds. We do not meditate on the words we are singing. But God wants our worship to be conducted "decently and in order." Just as we prepare to meet a business associate or invite guest, I bet we prepare and dress up nice for that, we should carefully prepare to meet our Lord in worship the same way.

Again, we are to worship in our everyday living. :yay: The way you walk and talk and how you are seen by people. We are a peculiar people, a holy nation. Seperated. Different. In all we do, do in the name of Jesus. Our light must shine. If I'm wearing a low cut/fitting blouse and jeans/slacks/skirt that show every curve I have (which should be for my husbands eyes only) I'm not giving God glory. We are to glorify Him in our bodies. We are blood bought...we don't belong to ourselves. We are the Bride of Christ and should behave as such at all times...

I guess you can call me "old time Pentecostal" and I LOVE :love: it!!!! :woot: :woot: ......:lol:

Sweet C

I think people are minsinterpreting what i am saying. I know that as a women of God you are to dress modestly. Yes, I know that you are to honor God in all that you do, and as Christian, you are do dress in a manner that is pleasing before God. And the Holy Spirit and the Word of God is your conduct as far as dress is concerned. What I am saying is that you are placing people in bondage by telling them that if you are saved, you will wear a skirt to the ground and a handerchief on your head when you are entering the church. I believe that that is a gross misinterpretation of scripture. Yes we should be mindful as Christian women of what we have on 24/7, not just when you go to church. But to give one looks of condemnation b/c a woman is wearing pants and praising God is WRONG.

I have heard a pastor say that he knows we are living in the last days, b/c he has seen women wear pants suits to church (I'm thinking :huh: , what bible prophecy scripture did that come from)

Last edited:
Sweet C said:
I think people are minsinterpreting what i am saying. I know that as a women of God you are to dress modestly. Yes, I know that you are to honor God in all that you do, and as Christian, you are do dress in a manner that is pleasing before God. And the Holy Spirit and the Word of God is your conduct as far as dress is concerned. What I am saying is that you are placing people in bondage by telling them that if you are saved, you will wear a skirt to the ground and a handerchief on your head when you are entering the church. I believe that that is a gross misinterpretation of scripture. Yes we should be mindful as Christian women of what we have on 24/7, not just when you go to church. But to give one looks of condemnation b/c a woman is wearing pants and praising God is WRONG.

I have heard a pastor say that he knows we are living in the last days, b/c he has seen women wear pants suits to church (I'm thinking :huh: , what bible prophecy scripture did that come from)

Sweet C, I totally agree with you 100%. My parents still disagree with women wearing pants but they don't criticize women that do wear pants. What they believe is what they believe. My thing is this, as long as it is modest and that is what the Word states, we ought to be modest in the way that we dress. No matter where you are. We must represent Christ in all that we do, because people will see what is on us and inside of us.

Poohbear

onepraying said:
Again, we are to worship in our everyday living. :yay: The way you walk and talk and how you are seen by people. We are a peculiar people, a holy nation. Seperated. Different. In all we do, do in the name of Jesus. Our light must shine. If I'm wearing a low cut/fitting blouse and jeans/slacks/skirt that show every curve I have (which should be for my husbands eyes only) I'm not giving God glory. We are to glorify Him in our bodies. We are blood bought...we don't belong to ourselves. We are the Bride of Christ and should behave as such at all times...

I guess you can call me "old time Pentecostal" and I LOVE :love: it!!!! :woot: :woot: ......:lol:
I agree with you too! But I'm an "old time Baptist"! :grin:

Poohbear

Sweet C said:
I wonder where he get's that too!!!

Jesus speaks on end times in Mark 13:5-37

He warns us about Christians being deceived. Deceivers can convince with arguments and proofs of the end times that it will be difficult not to fall away from Christ...that's only if we're not prepared. So Jesus tells us to remain faithful.

Verse 22 says "For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall show signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect."

To penetrate the disguises of false teachers, we can ask "Have their predictions come ture, or do they have to revise them to fit what's already happen?"

Vintagecoilylocks

I wear the covering for scripture has taught me. The verse on hair as a covering is not the same as the verse speaking of the actual covering of the head. Reference the understanding that that was only for the Corinthians does not support the documented fact that all women who became Christian from non-Jewish and Jewish cultures did begin, if it was not their culture, to wear their heads covered. Women from cultures that did have a headdress altered the piece to no longer identify with the old culture but with their new culture of Christ. Elaborate pieces became simple and humble. That was one way during persecution they identified the Christ followers. That and the fact that the men grew beards. Are today's pastors saying that the first Christians immediately got it wrong even though the disiciples were still alive and teaching? The disciples that took the Gospel out into the world taught this. Are they saying its outdated?
If it was for a particular culture only to have long hair and not look like the prostitutes who cut their hair then you would have to say he was basically teaching to stay away from styles popular with the unGodly. Translated into today there would have to be alot of hair do's not seamly to a Christian woman. There is also the chapter on the broiding of hair etc. Spending lots of money and time creating stylish do's to be appealing to the public. (Yes somepeople say they do it for themselves, but if it is out of a vanity to look stunning for yourself then it is the same.) That should hold for today as well. So do the pastors translate out what styles would make a woman look like she is imitating loose woman now? Many do not. It seems an awful lot of preaching in just this last century states the sudden knowledge of truth that was not believed for over 1800 years. Pants were the dress of men for most of the people on this boards history. Some societies they wore the same clothing yet it is also documented that even in these culture that embraced Christianity an understanding was that though the style may have been the same there was a distinction between men and woman and that must be maintained. If you believe to be able to write off a verse as that was for then, then what of other scripture. I believe the bible revealed to us teachings for all then and now. It was that kind of teaching that has left many people not knowing what to do. I hear people tell them to just pray and folow your heart. If that was the solution what did we need so many commadments and teachings in scripture for. I dress modestly for Christ. I am in bondage to Christ. That includes staying away from faddish or needing to be in style clothes. Sad as it is many an ungodly persons are public figures and popular individual. Often they set trends and styles. We are to come out and be separate. Of course our inner walk must be in truth of Christ but as James said what is faith with out works. To say you are true to Christ yet outwardly you look like the world can cause contridictions to observers. Be not a stumbling block. I know of no such teachings in my church that certain scriptures don't apply now or was for just one or two ancient cultures but not for all. The first christians took it as to be for all and they were with the apostles.