11 Year old wants locks

jaiku

My Aunt, God bless her, (I always say God bless when I’m about to talk dirty about her) just relaxed her 11 year old daughters hair for the first time. The daughter likes it and it looks nice on her but she said she always wanted locks. So I told her she should get them. My aunt doesn’t like them and won’t let her get them. My aunt thinks every one should relax their hair. My aunt is bald from poor hair care. She wears a wig all the time without a wig cap protecting what little hair she has. She doesn’t know how to help her daughter care for her relaxed hair and I think locks would be easier. Do you think 11 year olds are old enough to make their own hair choices?

SohoHair

I would say hold off for a little bit especially since locs are not just a style choice, they are also often a reflection of someone's spiritual beliefs and 11 is a little young for that kind of a statement. Now while I know that necessarily isn't always the case, since some people get locs because they can be very beautiful when well cared for, I still think it's a rather drastic decision to be making at 11! Also locs aren't necessarily less work than relaxed hair, keeping them neat and clean and nice looking can be a lot of work, especially if she is only 11 and her mom might not be willing to assist her since she doesn't approve of the style. Maybe you can pass along some of the relaed haircare info here to her mom and see if she is receptive to it?

Country gal

She should at least give her some type of natural style. She could do twists to see if the little girl likes her hair. I don't think 11 is too young to make a decision about her hair. My son wanted to grow his hair out. I allowed him to do it so he could see how much work was involved.

Parents are so quick to put a perm in. At least allow her to wear so natural styles.

MeccaMedinah

Country gal said:
She should at least give her some type of natural style. She could do twists to see if the little girl likes her hair. I don't think 11 is too young to make a decision about her hair. My son wanted to grow his hair out. I allowed him to do it so he could see how much work was involved.

Parents are so quick to put a perm in. At least allow her to wear so natural styles.

So true.
I think an 11 year old can decide whether she wants locs.