$12 solid ceramic flat iron?

Should I try the $12.00 cermaic flat iron?

• Yep! Try that stinker and let's see what it does!

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Try it if you want, but do so with caution.

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • I wouldn't if I were you, but I admit I'm curious.

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • No way, unless your ready for a major set back.

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters

sheba1

Ok, so I was at the BSS today and I decided to take a gander at the flat irons. Not really considering picking one up (I'm leaning towards Sally's Chi knock off), but I wanted to see what they had, all the same. The following iron (see below) caught my eye because of the statement on the box, "100% solid ceramic plates".

Funny thing is, not even the Chi knockoff at Sally's (which Honeydew has brought to our attention is actually the FHI 207RVI, going up to 410 degrees) can boast such claims.

I am so tempted to try it. It goes up to 400 degrees. It has solid ceramic plates. It's less than $13.00 with tax. What do you think, folks? Worthy experiment? Or am I just asking for trouble?

Attachments

• hotbeauty.jpg
    hotbeauty.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 50
I dont think $12 is too much to expirment. Can you return it if you dont like it? See if you can find any reviews on it.

Be cautious and use a heat protectant. If you don't like it, take it back. And if it does have 100% ceramic plates, you have seriously scored a major bargin.

Knockoffs galore. These irons cost nothing now...Beacause they are making them in china...

Next they will be at Dollar Tree.

Hey - I say try it...It probably is like the one at Sally's.....

Most products/tools are already made in China.
I know for a fact that the manufacturer of the Chi iron is indeed in China because the old school Chi irons have the manufacturers info right on the iron...

Lots of factories in the China make the same product with many different labels to appeal to many markets.

I say try it...its only $12.00

I think I'm gonna do it. I've never successfully straightened my hair. I went to a salon about 4 months ago and walked out of there with a flattened, greasy fro that smelled of eau d' marcel iron. :nono:

In April I'm going to be flat ironing my hair, myself and I'm building my arsenal, now. Last thing I need is a good flat iron. Maybe I'll do a half and half like Your Cheeziness with this cheapy flat iron and the sally's fhi knockoff and see which one I want from there. I don't think the BSS will let me return, but I'm sure I could donate it to a friend if I just like the Sally's one better. I'm certain the return would be allowed at Sally's, though, if I want to keep the cheapyl one. Still thinking..

Girl, if you don't try that 12 dollar flatiron I am going to be mad at you!

Make sure you come back and let us know!

I say try it,but it's not just the plates that make the "ceramic iron" expensive its also the heater that's used in them-some heat more evenly and some have hot spots. Some don't recover well so you wind up passing over the same piece repeatedly.

I probably will, Shishipoopoo. Girl, I don't want you made at me! :)

Ty, Ksk_xs, I was wondering what made the expensive irons so expensive. And really, I don't know how I might test whether the iron has hot spots, or what have you. So, I'll keep researching. Of course, there are not many reviews of this iron online. But maybe that's a good thing. I'm not set to straighten my hair til end of April so I've got some time.

well thats not to say that all expensive irons don't have hot spots-the chi does. You wouldnt know until you used it. It would be lie you use it and some pieces you flat ironed are straight and some need a second pass. Ive bought some really good cheap irons too thought, I don't want it to seem like I'm saying only expensive ones are good-shoot if I saw it in the store I'd def. buy it-the worst that can happen is that you dont like it and you return it. I too like everyone else want to know how it you like it though.

Hey Mz Princess,

I did not, as I found out that it does not have a temp gauge. :nono: When it says, "up to 400 degrees" it meant as it was heating up to that temp. No way to monitor, so I passed. I ended up getting a great deal on a FHI for $72. LOL, a whole heck of a lot more expensive than the 12, huh?! :look:

Back