Is this flat iron any good? Please help me!

Chimma

I'm going to press/flat iron my hair for the first time as a natural, and the second time since last november. (Although when I got my cornrows in january, the lady semi-pressed my hair without asking me first)
I wanted to make sure that I got a superior product so that I wouldn't waste all of my hard work. I am damn scared of using a hot comb so I am buying a flat iron: is this flat iron recommendable for 4b natural hair? Is it at a good price? (I'm paying $65)

Brand New
FHI Ionic 1 1/4 Inch
Ceramic Straightening Flat Iron
FHI 302 YVI (1 1/4 inch)
(yellow, variable temperature, ionic)

DELUXE MODEL
Ceramic Heat
CERAMIC PANEL SIZE 1 1/4 inch
Infrared Heating
Ionic Plates
Moist Ceramic Heat with Ceramic Plates and Coils
Fused Ceramic Plates will maintain even temperature all the time
Ceramic will produce negative ions to seals the cuticle
Repels humidity
Locks in hair color and retards fading
Ceramic Heat will ensure the penetration of the Silk Molecules to the Hair
Automatic Sense Recovery System--Quickly Recovers Lost Heat to the Ceramic Plates
Ergonomically Designed
360 degree Swivel Connection to prevent tangling
On-Off switch on the inside to prevent accidental turn off.
Light weighted - Fits in a standard curling Iron Station
Heats up to operating temperature in in 10 seconds
140 to 450 degrees range on variable temperature control dial

Thanks!

Crysdon

[ QUOTE ]
FHI 302 YVI (1 1/4 inch)
( yellow , variable temperature, ionic)

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, get the red one.

FHI 207RVI Ceramic Ion Flat Iron.

miss_brown

That is the EXACT one I have (the pic in Crysdon's post), and I love it!!!
I have natural 4a hair, and it works perfectly every time I use it (almost as good as when my stylist does it, but I think that's a matter of practice).

BTW, where are you purchasing this from? If you are getting it from ebay, beware. There are sellers that try to pass off the old model (yellow plates) for the new IONIC model (red plates, like in the picture). They are not the same thing! Do a search for +ebay +FHI and you should find a recent post from someone (I think it was Falon) who had to send their flat iron back because the seller was trying to get over. Just be careful...

Chimma

What about this one?

It has yellow plates, but it is Chi, not Fhi

Farouk CHI Turbo Ceramic Hairstyling Flat Iron Regular 1" GF1538

FAROUK CHI Turbo Ceramic Hairstyling Iron provides Ceramic Technology for flash quick heating with the Far Infrared. New Easier grip with ergonomic design and with felt at the tip for easier hold. CHI Turbo Ceramic Hairstyling Iron also provides versatile heat setting to provide you with total control for all your hairstyling needs.

Ceramic Heat

Moist Ceramic Heat with Ceramic Plates and Coils

Ceramic will maintain even temperature all the time

Ceramic will produce negative ions

Seals the cuticle

Repels humidity

Locks in hair color and retards fading

Ceramic Heat will ensure the penetration of the Silk

Molecules to the Hair

Traditional copper coil can cause more damage and dry the hair

Ergonomically Designed

10 foot heavy duty electrical cord

360 degree Swivel Connection to prevent tangling

On-Off switch on the side for easy access.

Light weighted

Fits in a standard curling Iron Station

Power

"Flash Heating" in only seconds

Temperature switch on the side for variable control from 175 to 356°F (or 80 to 180°C)

Saves energy - CHI only uses 20-25 Watts of Electricity

Versatile

For straight looks

Flips

Curls

Dreadlocks

Crimping

To prepare dry hair cuts

Safe

Circuit breaker for safety

Space age installation = heat is only produced to the

Ceramic plates

Exterior will be only warm, not hot

TigerLily

I heard that those only have an off/on switch, not a temp. dial. I have a FHI Ionic RVI 1 inch. iron (red plates). I got mine from ebay. The name of the ebay store that I got mine from is SmartDealsOnline. They are very courteous and professional. They also have a 30 day return policy, no questions asked. They have very high reviews, too. Check them out!

Chimma

Hmm, I accidentally bought that from ebay, and now I have to return it. It hasn't actually been shipped, but it is on my shipping and handling. There aren't ebay fhi's left that aren't very expensive (or the older wronger version), so now I am thinking of getting a chi or hai.

What are the good chi models and the good hai models?

How has the fhi RVI worked for you TigerLily?

TigerLily

I like it, it works really good, gets really hot, and gets my hair nice and straight.

The best CHI model is the CHI turbo. It has a temp control. The original CHI doesn't. I plan on getting one myself. Not that I don't like my FHI, I'm just curious!

plainj

Hey TigerLily, Crysdon and miss_brown, thanks to you ladies I will be buying the fhi 207. Did you all choose the 1" size for a particular reason? I have shoulder length hair. Do you think that will work for me or should I consider a bigger size.

Chimma: I heard that the original chi gets hotter than the turbo. But as the others said, the original doesn't have a temp control dial.

TigerLily: when you get your chi, pls write a review. I am totally lost as to what flat iron is really good. I've been going back and forth for weeks on the chi, fhi, hai etc. There are rave reviews about all of them. But each also have a few negative reviews. I haven't seen anything negative about the fhi though so I've decided to get that one.

If anyone has any negative reviews on the fhi flat iron, don't be shy. Speak up please.

AnjelLuvs

BUMP THIS bad boy, actually found it well doing a search on the web, but couldnt find it well searching through site.

Ladies plase update on how things are goin, was it worth the money yadda yadda

TigerLily

lea5, I got a 1 inch 'cause I wanted to get closer to the roots of my hair with it.

Well, I just got the 2 inch CHI Turbo. I got my hair in braids, so it'll be a few weeks before I can try it out. I may flat iron my extensions with it, so when I do, I'll give you ladies a review.

Leslie_C

tigerlily, it sounds like u are like me, starting a ceramic flat iron collection...lol. I just bought my first one (FHI) on ebay and havent even gotten it yet, but someone on this board made an offer I couldnt refuse on the CHI turbo so now it looks like Ill have two! But the FHI is only 3/4" while the CHI is 1", plus my FHI doesnt have temp settings.

Leslie_C

yeah the RVI has settings, but the RFI doesnt...I was reading the wrong advertisement when I found mine
I think it heats to 400 or 450 too and Im not sure bc Ive never used one, but that might be wayyyy to hot.