4a/4b transitioners...What are you using as a detangler?

MRJ1972

I am attempting to transition my teenaged daughter whose hair is a mixture of 4a/4b...Her last relaxer was December 30...The new growth is very thick and I dont want to damage her hair by detangling incorrectly.

How do you detangle your hair and what products do you use to detangle your hair after shampooing??

I detangle in sections, but the new growth shrinks soooo much that it is hard to comb...Even detangling with conditioner - currently Kera Care or Infusium 23- is difficult

Thanks in advance for any replys or suggestions!

**ALSO LONG TERM RELAXER STRETCHERS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CHIME IN***

Last edited:

LovinLea

no product has helped me yet.. i wanna know, too

washing hair in braids has been the main thing. i only comb small sections of my hair at a time, never the whole thing.

knt1229

I do a 45 minute hot oil treatment and deep conditioning using protein and moisturizing deep conditioners once a week and co-wash once a week. I use a detangling comb to detangle while the moisturizing conditioner is in my hair. After the hair is detangled I switch to a wide tooth comb. I also use Cantu Shea Butter Leave In and seal with a Castor Oil and Coconut Oil mixed. Castor and Coconut Oil make my hair soft and easier to comb.

I am 25 weeks post and my hair is soft and manageable.

For shampoo and conditioner I use Aussie Moist or Herbal Essence Hello Hydration Moisturizing Shampoo/Conditioner with Coconut Milk.

For deep conditioners I use LeKair Cholesterol and LeKair Protein Deep Conditioner for Chemically Treated Hair.

For the hot oil treatment I use Soft and Beautiful Botanicals 3-N-1 Botanical Oil

Last edited:

RosesBlack

I stretch upwards of about 3-4 months these days and I use coconut oil on my ng and detangle each section, then use a no pull elastic to hold that section. My NG is really prone to tangling and matting so as it gets thicker I use a mix of coconut oil and profectiv breakfree (especially along the demarcation between my NG and texlaxed hair) and go really slowly.

Dommo

It is important to have both a detangling DC and Leave-in...I love AO GPB and Oyin honey hemp conditioner and if im straightening i will mix in a lil silicon mix(these are all extremely moisturizing and detangling) For leave-ins I like Giovanni Direct, elucence mb or the oyin honey hemp which can be used as a leave-in and conditioner.

HTH

MummysGirl

I don't have a specific detangler, on the days I cowash (I run my fingers through my hair while rinsing out conditioner from hair...) only, I use Giovanni Direct leave in and I am able to comb through my new growth easily (I am 6 months post).

On days I DC, my hair is very detangled when I rinse out the con, I also run my fingers through my hair while rinsing it out.

I think it's a combination of cowashing and/or DC and my leave in that detangles my hair.

pmichael52172

I'm 7 months post and to combat tangles for my 4a/b hair, I do everything in sections, from washing to conditioning.

As far as product goes, I rotate rinse out and leave-in conditioners so I'll save you the confusion. I really believe that my Jilbere shower comb, working in sections and taking my time are my keys to successful detangling. My hair does shrink up so once I comb my conditioner through so I just either twist, plait or hold that section with a clamp. I then blow dry that same section at a time. I do that with a Denman brush :)yep:) and not one strand of hair is broken.

Nayeli

Kids Organics Shea. I was wondering why my stretch was getting so rough - it's because I had run out and didn't think to buy more.

I just about had it last week. Detangling was an absolute nightmare. I couldn't take it anymore so I went and hunted it down. I'm going on 15 weeks post now and my hair is soft like butter. Not sure how it works for some, but this thing melts my tangles away.

LovinLea

Kids Organics Shea. I was wondering why my stretch was getting so rough - it's because I had run out and didn't think to buy more.

I just about had it last week. Detangling was an absolute nightmare. I couldn't take it anymore so I went and hunted it down. I'm going on 15 weeks post now and my hair is soft like butter. Not sure how it works for some, but this thing melts my tangles away.

is this a moisturizer or a leave-in?

For long stretches Mane N Tail Detangler and Cowboy Magic have worked for me. I spray my hair liberally and then detangle in sections. HTH

RoundEyedGirl504

I am transitioning currently about 4 months post, what I do is on towel dried hair I separate my hair into 6 sections with big clips then on each section I use Mizani Moisturfuse as my leave in and start combing from the ends up using a double tooth comb. Once I finish a section I retwist and secure with a clip and go on to the next section. HTH!

classychic1908

I'm natural and I Kiya Fizzle. It's a dream come true!! I also tried oil rinsing which worked, but my hair doesn't really respond too well to oils. You can search the forum for good info on both. HTH

sharifeh

this product also helps me detangle with minimal pain and less arm ache

i used it on damp 15 week post hair and it worked but I still had to work at getting my tangles out but mind you i'm the worst detangler because I put it off then I give myself a big job, plus my head is so tender, and it takes awhile to recover after I comb it...so I hate doing it so I put it off...

anyway the shea butter kids organic product is very good for detangling:yep:

Bun Mistress

This is what I have to do now or it is tangles city:

when hair is dry section and braid (like 6 per side) I don't detangle at this point.
"Shampoo" if your into that, I do an Amla maka, brahmi tea rinse
DC with either light protein conditioner or whatever I'm using that day (this involves unbrainding each braid and then applying dc and finger detangling at this point)
Heat, then
instant conditioner, I just used assuie moist it was awesome, I left that sit heat or no heat then a purposely crappy rinse and then apply the following to each section
Aloe spray home made your could skip this, afro detangler (you could sip this) and castor to seal (don't skip the sealing) you could really just comb thur after the instant conditioner part.

I had to cange my regiem when I got past apl. the braids were the key. My hair was nots city. I had a very sad post about it a fwe days ago when I was ripping through my hair.

Liberianmami26

well im one year post right now so i dry detangle with distilled water and some moisturizer like shea butter or another moisturizer then braid in sections wash and with conditioner detangle and running water detangle with a shower comb followed by a denman brush. hope that helps

Ms Lala

For me conditioners make the best detangler. I like Suave Naturals conditioners and Lustrasilk Cholesterol conditioners. Lustrasilk is the best detangler I've ever used, I let is sit on my hair for a few minutes and then proceed with combing.

bablou00

^^^ totally agree. any conditioner in my opinion when caked on works good as a detangler. I use HE hello hydration and/or devacurl as a detangler but I slather a ton on my hair. when i was transitioning i would section off my hair into two and then section the halves off. now since my hair is short I dont section but i just use a lot of conditioner and my fingers to detangle. hth