4a/b Natural ladies help a sista out! Pics pics pics

Sounique

I bc a couple of days ago on the 21st and I'm so happy!:yep:
I love my hair, but have no idea how to care for it.:nono:
I've washed my hair about times since I bc.:look:
I'm trying to figure out what products work on my hair.
I've been reading through the threads and watching youtube videos, but nothing has helped so far...

First I'm not sure if I'm 4a, 4b or both. My hair has very small curls like the old school jherri curls:lachen:, with a few spirals spread here and there. (they are about 4 times as thick as the rest of the hair)... I'm thinking that the majority is 4b and the spirals are 4a or 3c or is the majority 4b and the spirals 4a....:drunk:

Okay, so I tried fantasia ic gel and it weighs my hair down and NEVER completely dries and feels tacky to the touch. Oh it does nothing to define my curls...:perplexed

I also tried just washing and leaving in conditioner, but then it looks like I have an afro, without much curl definition.

Can you ladies trying to identify my hair type and maybe point me in the right direction as far as products that will define my curls better?:look::yep:

Thank you so much!

Attachments

• pic1.jpeg
    pic1.jpeg
    7.4 KB · Views: 73
  • pic2.jpeg
    pic2.jpeg
    7.5 KB · Views: 70
  • pic3.jpeg
    pic3.jpeg
    8.2 KB · Views: 72
  • pic4.jpeg
    pic4.jpeg
    4.8 KB · Views: 67
  • pic5.jpeg
    pic5.jpeg
    6.3 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

yvette

OP, it is going to take trial and error. I have a hard time with hair typing someone else's hair. I am a 4a, with MAJOR shrinkage and small tight coil-like curls. I just recently bc on June 25th and I am just NOW learning how to work KCC (Kinky Curly Custard) so that it looks good. Before that, I was wearing half wigs and wigs because I was still learning what products and styles I could do for my hair.

So far, I have tried two-strand twists that I would do while my hair was wet and took down and finger comb when dried. EPIC FAIL. I thought I would get a nice twist with curl look and it just did not look that way. It didn't look bad, it just didn't look the way I wanted it to.

You might want to try KCC or Eco-styler gel to help define your curls. Also, what works for one person might not work for you OR you might have to develop your own method for making the products work for you.

ajargon02

First of all CONGRATS on your bc!!! :D I would keep searching in threads that show PICTURES of people with hair similar to yours with no product on it to try to see what those ppl are doing and how they are styling their hair. Now's the fun time for you to learn about what your hair likes and doesn't like. ACCESSORIES are your friend. Try to learn to 2 strand twist, flat twist and braid. It will not only help you enjoy your hair, but also come to know it better. Make sure to keep it moisturized, ie. WATER and WATER based products. There's a thread about hair types and there's pictures showing what each looks like. You might want to check that out. A couple of sites that may help you along your journey in addition to this one ( where it's free to post ) is Nappturality.com | Black African American Natural Hair Resource Glamazini.com ~ Roshini's Natural Hair Journey Top Tips for Nappy Hair, [URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXi2k4cFFhI between this site, and all the others listed, this should be a good start for you to get that research going. hth! :D

Last edited:

bellecheveux

Yup, it's all about trial and error. When I first BC'ed, my hair was DRY. I started trying out new products and found things that worked for me.

As far as your hair type, you look like you're in the type 4 category (yours kinda looks like my hair when I first BC'ed!). KCCC, Ecostyler, and Darcy's Botanicals NCCJ help with definition and elongation.

LuvlyRain3

I don't think that I'm a 4b more like 3c/4a but I was I'm the same boat a few months ago. To be honest with you. Everything with products is trial and error. I tried a few products that people gave rave reviews about and they didnt do jack for my hair. And its not just about what you are putting in your head but how you are putting it in. Test the waters try dffierent products/methods and see what works for you.

you can try eco styler or ic fantasia to define your curls.People are always writing about how great KCCC is but ive never tried it. My curls usually form really well when i cowash so i just mositurize seal and go.

Im pretty sure that one of the LHCF vets will be chiming in real soon to give all the info you need or at least point you in the right directions. Hth

Nonie

Save yourself all the work that goes into trial and error by starting out w/ S Curl. Nothing but S Curl spray. It'll dry hard if you apply to damp hair, but apply again to dry hair and comb out. Baggy for the night. In the AM, it'll be so easy to comb and your hair will stay soft w/o being wet. Just cold/moist. You don't need to reapply at night. Just baggy.

Now if you're after curl definition, I can't really help you there coz that's not my department. But soft, moisturized hair that combs easily and doesn't feel gooey or leave ugly marks on furniture, I recommend S Curl or Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1, if you don't like the smell of S Curl.

Sounique

Thanks ladies...
The whole hair typing thing is all too confusing when I try to put myself in a category. I just think if will help me choose the right products. I think that maybe as my hair grows out, I will be able to determine for sure, plus by then I may know what my hair needs are better. I just don't want to waste my time trying to make my hair do something that it naturally can not.
I watched a youtube video and the ladies hair looked similar to mine, but when I tried to duplicate her technique with the ic fantasia gel, my results were nothing like hers.
I'm just all giddy, like when you move into a new house and you want to decorate it and you go out and buy everything you can get your hands on...lol
I just want it to be perfect!

Sounique

Save yourself all the work that goes into trial and error by starting out w/ S Curl. Nothing but S Curl spray. It'll dry hard if you apply to damp hair, but apply again to dry hair and comb out. Baggy for the night. In the AM, it'll be so easy to comb and your hair will stay soft w/o being wet. Just cold/moist. You don't need to reapply at night. Just baggy.

Now if you're after curl definition, I can't really help you there coz that's not my department. But soft, moisturized hair that combs easily and doesn't feel gooey or leave ugly marks on furniture, I recommend S Curl or Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1, if you don't like the smell of S Curl.

Thank you Nonie, because I was wondering what I would do to keep my hair soft during the winter months, when co-washing daily will be out of the question.
I have some s-curl moisturizer, but not the spray. Is the spray better?

Nonie

Thank you Nonie, because I was wondering what I would do to keep my hair soft during the winter months, when co-washing daily will be out of the question.
I have some s-curl moisturizer, but not the spray. Is the spray better?

Yes. The gel just felt gooey and icky and I don't remember it doing much for my hair. Been using the spray since 2007 and have not had reason to look for anything else. I still have the gel I used once from back then just collecting dust in my cabinet.

Tiye

There's no jeri curl type curls or coils in 4b hair so you are probably a 4a or 3c mix. With regards to how to care for your hair - there are hundreds of ideas on this board - you can try to keep up with them if you can (I have "waitlisted" ideas from this board that I've never actually got around to trying) or you can keep it simple - find one shampoo, one conditioner, one leave in and some oil (or oils) if you like. And handle your hair gently. Always detangle from the ends and if you use heat tools use them carefully. Also cover your head when you sleep. That's all there is to it.

SimJam

I must say that thanks to nonies reccomendation of S-curl along with ceramide oils thread... moisture is a non entity in my life right abt now.

I wasnt able to get consistent curl definition until my hair was long enough to shingle (3 - 4 inches) so I mostly did comb coils, flat twists w/ a fro and 2 strand twists.

these are some of the styles I rocked Pic 1 a couple weeks after BC - The last pic was my first shingling attempt I used IC fantasia on one side of my head and ecostyler on the other half LOL

Attachments

• PB210165.jpg
    PB210165.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 12
  • P1010487.jpg
    P1010487.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 36382.jpg
    36382.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 16
  • P1010494.jpg
    P1010494.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 11
  • shingledhair.jpg
    shingledhair.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 16

PrincesscurlyQ<3

oooo me and you have the same hair texture it looks like. i have 4a in the front and the back and sides but in the middle its a little of that with 4b, i think.

Sounique

I must say that thanks to nonies reccomendation of S-curl along with ceramide oils thread... moisture is a non entity in my life right abt now.

I wasnt able to get consistent curl definition until my hair was long enough to shingle (3 - 4 inches) so I mostly did comb coils, flat twists w/ a fro and 2 strand twists.

these are some of the styles I rocked Pic 1 a couple weeks after BC - The last pic was my first shingling attempt I used IC fantasia on one side of my head and ecostyler on the other half LOL

I love your hair in that last pic! Very beautiful!