4A/B Naturals And Flat Irons

Blacktresses

How many naturals flat iron their hair ? What tools do you use to flat iron? Which flat iron do you use and what product(s) ( oils, butters) do you use on your hair to achieve this look ?

I was looking at the maxiglide commericals. It looks interesting but...I was concerned about the teeth the flat iron uses. Is this worth investing this flat iron ?

i have a jilibere (sp?) from sally's

i use kemi oyl--kemi press smokeless cream press...i really like it..i pressed with it on sunday with lil effort to get it straight...but it wasnt silky...juss how i like it

I have a jilbere, also from Sally's.

I've used it only about five times in the three years that I've owned it. I wear protective styles mostly and when I did flatiron I wasn't happy with how my hair turned out. It's very resistant and I wonder if perhaps I didn't use too much heat protectant (L'oeal Nature's theraphy Heat Control). I don't think I've found the right products and combination to use yet.

I like reading threads like this one because they give me ideas for what might work i.e. wild growth oil

I am 4a/b and I bought the maxi-glide, I am texturized and although I think its a great product I don't think its good for natural or texturized hair types at least 4a/b, because I found that the teeth snagged my hair. . .

I do flat iron my hair with a ceramic Conair 3/4 inch flat iron, I love this thing and it really allows me to maneuver through my thick hair, I use Elasta qp mango butter, the Elasta qp recovery moisturizer and the neutrogena oil serum for my ends. . . My hair is bra strap and very thick and those products get the job done !

Well I am newly natural, I just chopped last Tuesday. I have very coarse 4a hair. I bought a Corioliss iron on Saturday. www.corioliss.com This is a very good ceramic flat iron. I got the Pro with Variable Heat Setting. I am able to get my hair straight pulling it through only once. It seals the moisture in my hair, leaving it shiny and silky. I used it on Sunday for the first time, and I think its really worth the 106 dollars I paid for it. I didn't order from the site, which I should have b/c its cheaper.

I haven't found a combination of products yet to do a complete press, but hopefully I will have it together soon.

WOW....:eek:

I really one use one product if I have used heat straightening irons in my hair :scratchch . I guess I'm afraid of frying my hair. Keep the information coming. I'm learning a lot from you all ...

I'm 4a and I have the Maxiglide. I love it but I've only used it 2 or 3 times.

I don't usually use heat but if I do, I want a STRAIGHT, SILKY texture. No matter what I do even if I were to press it first, I never get the texture I want. I use the Maxiglide on 10! I also have'nt found anything to make it last more that 5 minutes. My hair starts to poof before I finish my whole head.

The Maxiglide is the straightest I've ever gotten my natural hair with just a flat iron. Every time I use it I think of how well it would work if I had a texturizer. If I could find a way to make my hair last I would use it more often. The steam feature is great and makes my hair silky soft..again, for about 5 minutes or til air hits it.

Last edited:
i've used the maxiglide a few times- and i like it alot. i use wgho and aveda deep brillance while i do it. i does snag the hair if you don't detangle well (!) but it's the only iron that will look like a press in curl (at least on my hair). I also have a sedu that I use to touch up.

Back