4a/b new growth

Purtygurly

I straightened out my new growth yesterday. I have a little bit more than 2 inches of unrelaxed hair, but my hair only seemed to be a little more than an inch longer than when it's not straightened all the way. I think that it's because my new growth grows outward and down instead of curling around itself and shrinking.

I thought that 4a/b hair is SUPPOSED to shrink when it's dry. Does anyone else experience close to no shrinkage afetr washing their hair?

Chimma

4b hair shrinks less when it is dry than 4a hair, and if your hair is relaxed, it shrinks much much less than unrelaxed hair.

shelli4018

Actually, I did the same recently. I believe my natural hair shrinks a bit. That's why I can't really see my progress. I have about 2 inches of new growth and 6 or 7 inches of relaxed hair. It seems like I chop off an inch and my hair gets shorter instead of my new growth making up the difference. But when I straighten it, I see that my hair actually is growing.

Faith

That's actually true. My whole family is natural..my mom and sis are more 4a and my hair is more 4b. My hair shrinks less when wet than theirs. But my hair also doesn't have much of a curl to it when dry...just wavy. I actually found quite a few hairs that're totally straight in my hair. Not damaged either just grow it straight. Hmmm!