4a Naturals HELP!! Hard Crunchy Hair!!!! Need Cure!

Baking soda treatments...and/or honey packs. THEY'LL SAVE YOUR LIFE!!:grin: Details in my drugstore fotki and recipe albums. :yep:

Argh!

Okay, fair disclosure. I've tried this three times, it's worked like heaven all three times, but I haven't been sharing it because - 1) it's weird 2) I don't understand how or why it works 3) I don't know if it could have negative impact to hair over a long term.

All that said.................... :look:

Try mixing a little salt into your conditioner. Yeah, regular old Mortons. About a tsp or two into about 8 oz of conditioner. Every time I've done this (usually because I was ready to cut off my crunchy ends) my hair has turned into butter.

I don't know why. I can't explain how. It might just be me - but it works. It's been working for some ladies on tLHC, too - no clear understanding of HOW, but it makes your hair SO. FREAKING. SOFT.

I dunno. I kinda want someone else to try it, to see if it works for them, too, but - fair disclosure, and all. :look:

this is quite interesting.

how much salt did you use for how much conditioner?

Argh!

Okay, fair disclosure. I've tried this three times, it's worked like heaven all three times, but I haven't been sharing it because - 1) it's weird 2) I don't understand how or why it works 3) I don't know if it could have negative impact to hair over a long term.

All that said.................... :look:

Try mixing a little salt into your conditioner. Yeah, regular old Mortons. About a tsp or two into about 8 oz of conditioner. Every time I've done this (usually because I was ready to cut off my crunchy ends) my hair has turned into butter.

I don't know why. I can't explain how. It might just be me - but it works. It's been working for some ladies on tLHC, too - no clear understanding of HOW, but it makes your hair SO. FREAKING. SOFT.

I dunno. I kinda want someone else to try it, to see if it works for them, too, but - fair disclosure, and all. :look:

Okay, you are not going to believe this, but I was in Rite Aid today and saw a conditioner with salt in it. I was looking for Organix, so I just made a mental note and kept it moving. Sad thing is, I don't even know which conditioner it was. The next time I go, I'll try to really pay attention. I guess the hair care industry is catching up to all the hair board ideas, or vise versa.

Okay, you are not going to believe this, but I was in Rite Aid today and saw a conditioner with salt in it. I was looking for Organix, so I just made a mental note and kept it moving. Sad thing is, I don't even know which conditioner it was. The next time I go, I'll try to really pay attention. I guess the hair care industry is catching up to all the hair board ideas, or vise versa.

What?!??! :lol: Seriously? That's wild - do you remember if it was a moisturizing conditioner?? :lachen: Most interesting!

i'm going to try this salt thing in a few

i need to wash and condition my hair anyway
because it feels just awful right now hahaha

i will come back and tell you how i liked it
or how it liked me...

BOOMSHA!

Salt... Hmm, that is fascinating Kiya. Thanks for sharing. *makes a mental note to try this when my ends act up*

What?!??! :lol: Seriously? That's wild - do you remember if it was a moisturizing conditioner?? :lachen: Most interesting!

No, I just glanced at it, and thought it was weird. I will definitely find out out though. I think I'm going back on Friday or Saturday, and I'll post it in here.

ETA: There was a large ad with "SALT" in large letters that's what caught my eye, but I needed to get back home before it became too hot outside.

Last edited:
Update: I DC'ed again with Elasta QP and it did nothing for my hair:wallbash: I don't think my hair likes it. It doesn't seem to be really penetrating the hair at all, it just kid of sits on top of it:( I'm going back to the ORS packs and see if that helps. I used Unrefined Shea butter and it feels a little less crunchy, but still frizz city:wallbash: It's crazy, if I separate my hair it's nothing but 4a curls the entire length, and then kind of "fros out" on the ends. Maybe it it scab hair, I dunno. I think I'm going to put my hair up in some kinky twist extentions because my hair is growing at a good pace but it's at an ackward place right now. My TWA does not want to look round or uniform so althought it looks cute from the side, it looks kinda lumpy from the sides and back. I have to get on that Miss Jessie's forreal!:sad:

My hair was like this when I first BC'd. I still have frizz, but things are much better. It went from this (where I couldn't even see the curls hardly for all the frizz and dryness)
DSC01259-vi.jpg

to this
park019-vi.jpg

in a month by me doing the following things.

First, I eliminated cones. My hair just does not like them and it ends up with me having crunchy hair when I use them. Second, I wash my hair 2-3 times a week and every time I was it, I DC it. Third, I only wear it out on the weekends. The rest of the time I wear twists or a wig with a baggy on underneath. While I have my twists in I Spritz it twice a day with an aloe vera gel/glycerin/essential oil/water mixture. . Also I use a good leave in when my hair is out. My hair is so soft now compared to when I first BC'd.

If I were you I would skip the Ms Jessie's , find a new DC, and just try to focus on moisture. Also, do you have buildup? That can also make my hair feel like crap. Good luck!

My hair was like this when I first BC'd. I still have frizz, but things are much better. It went from this (where I couldn't even see the curls hardly for all the frizz and dryness)
in a month by me doing the following things.

First, I eliminated cones. My hair just does not like them and it ends up with me having crunchy hair when I use them. Second, I wash my hair 2-3 times a week and every time I was it, I DC it. Third, I only wear it out on the weekends. The rest of the time I wear twists or a wig with a baggy on underneath. While I have my twists in I Spritz it twice a day with an aloe vera gel/glycerin/essential oil/water mixture. . Also I use a good leave in when my hair is out. My hair is so soft now compared to when I first BC'd.

If I were you I would skip the Ms Jessie's , find a new DC, and just try to focus on moisture. Also, do you have buildup? That can also make my hair feel like crap. Good luck!

hi there,

do you mind me asking what leave in and dc you use?

tia,
tishee

I use Giovanni Direct Leave In, or I also leave in regular conditioner (usually Giovanni 50:50). Right now I DC with AOHSR or AOWC (with honey, olive oil, or castor oil added), though I'm looking for others. I have heard good things about Jessicurl Weekly deep treatment and have that coming in the mail soon.

I also like Knot Today for a leave in, though I get the same results from Giovanni.

It sounds to me like scab hair or stretched hair from the transition. It's highly unlikey that one single strand of hair will have completely different "grades" as someone else put it.

Doesn't mean the hair isn't natural, it's just that the natural hair has to go through its own "transition" (if you will), particularly at the ends. If the hair is still hard and crunchy, or a completely different texture after you've done all the DCs and added moisture, you may have to give in to just trimming them. You say your hair is growing at a good rate, so hopefully a little trim won't be an issue to get fully healthy hair.

Also, I would leave some of the extra styling products alone, especially the Miss Jessies and other cone-laden products. Can you go bohemian for a while?

Good luck!!

I just wanted to co-sign with KCcurly on the eliminating -cones thing. Whenever I use conditioners with -cones my hair fees really soft but when it dries the ends will be crunchy. I have found that my (texlaxed) hair will look totally naturally when naked but if I use aloe vera gel (I threw a little glycerin in it 2 BTW) it makes my hair dry as curly and loose as it is when wet and makes my hair so soft. I find that is a great replacement for fantasia ic. I wash and go with this and once my hair is dry I add a little more moisture to the ends and seal with a natural grease or softee indian hemp. This keeps my ends super soft all day.

But the key for me was eliminating conditioners with -cones. I still use a moisturizer with it (cantu leave in or sofn'free GroHealthy thick and healthy olive oil cream) so I also use baking soda n suave tropical coconut every time I co-wash.

I also oil rinse (although my hair doesn' like oil any other way). I will be finally adding some pics in a few minutes so you guys can finally see that I do know what I am doing :grin:

I use Giovanni Direct Leave In, or I also leave in regular conditioner (usually Giovanni 50:50). Right now I DC with AOHSR or AOWC (with honey, olive oil, or castor oil added), though I'm looking for others. I have heard good things about Jessicurl Weekly deep treatment and have that coming in the mail soon.

I also like Knot Today for a leave in, though I get the same results from Giovanni.

thanks KCcurly

Back