4b/4a Current/Previous Transitioner Question: Stretching New Growth

newbeginnings2010

I was going to post this in the transitioner's support thread, but I figured I would get more responses here. For all of you 4a or 4b (or mixed) current and previous transitioners--and even naturals--that stretch your hair, how long does the stretch last before reverting? The only time my stretched new growth stays stretched is when I do a ponytail rollerset with about 15 ponytails, and even then I have to lightly straighten the roots with a flat iron for it to last just 4 days. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get the natural hair to remain stretched for longer than a day without using heat? Maybe it's just the humidity here? :ohwell: It seems that my natural hair with no curl pattern stays stretched longer than the 4a coils. They tend to coil back up after a few hours and make my buns puffy. I think I need my natural hair to stretch more in order to retain my relaxed ends for the maximum amount of time.

LaFemmeNaturelle

I think because of the humidity, your hair will just shrink back up unless you use sometimes of anti-humidity product like Frizz Ease or Sabino. I think Garnier Fructis makes one as well.

Nonie

Because I sorta cheated by transitioning in braids, my hair stayed stretched 24/7. I don't know if that helps, but if I were transitioning out of braids, I'd probably do braidouts every morning. If reversion was an issue, I'd probably apply a serum to damp hair so that when I plait it, it is sealed in a stretched position. Why I'd apply the serum to damp hair is because it'd smooth on more easily and it'd seal in the moisture of the water so that I could go a few days w/o needing to moisturize. DCing weekly I think would help.

Otherwise, I'd give up the fight and just use S Curl for softness and bun. If the texture difference looked odd, I'd use a band over the smaller of the two textures in front, so it'd just look like it's a style. *shrug* I don't know if anyone does this, but if you stick around, you'll come to see Nonie dances to a beat of a drum only she hears. :lol: