4B Natural: Giovanni Smooth As Silk Shampoo, Conditioner, & Direct Leave In Review

TrustMeLove

:drunk:Hola Senoritas y Senoras (PICS INCLUDED) :drunk:

Yesterday I stopped by Whole packcheck Foods and decided to pick up some Giovanni hair products.

About a week ago I blew out my hair using Pinkskates Tension method and I used every heat protectant known to man. So I had alot of cones on my hair. I knew I had to use a shampoo to get the cones off so I decided to try Giovanni. My experience with AO shampoos has been HORRIBLE, but I still wanted to go the "natural" route.

FYI: Since 2005 when I embraced my nappi-ness Shampoo's have not worked on my hair. They leave my hair dry and hard to separate just CRUNCHY.

Giovanni Smooth as Silk Shampoo:

Well, my hair has been in large twist from a previous style and I kept them in twist just in case this shampoo was going to be a horrible mess. Just to ward off against any major tangles.

I rubbed the shampoo in my hands first to form a lather. I than concentrated rubbing the product on my scalp. After I worked my scalp I rubbed my hands down the length of my twist to distribute some shampoo too.

My hair felt clean, but not stripped, and VERY SOFT to the touch. I felt like it got rid of the oil and cones I had used during the week. I would not take a comb through my hair, but it left it in the perfect state so that I could separate my hair and evenly distribute conditioner to every section and not have to rip hair apart to get the conditioner concentrated at my roots too.

Now I really wanted to test this product out. What would happen if I undid my twist? SCARY :perplexed Once I un twisted my hair I could easily pull the hair apart and it wasn't tangled, hard, nor dry. The shampoo gave my hair some volume where it wasn't matted to my hair and my curls weren't fighting. It kind of stretched my napps out actually. In short this is the BEST Shampoo I have ever used as a nappy. I honestly had to stay away from shampoos because they left my hair in a horrible state. But, for the times I have to remove cones this shampoo is a keeper.

Bought at Whole Foods for $1.99 for like a 1oz bottle. Trial size.

Giovanni Smooth As Silk Conditioner

As a relaxed head I LOVED CON (Creme of Nature) in the cream and green bottle. I would stock up at Sallys. CON Made stretching sooo much easier. It just melted my new growth. Hot knife through butter. I just knew this would be a staple in my nappy hair product collection. It wasn't. It made my hair hard and dry. Giovanni Smooth As Silk is CON for my nappy hair. It lathered well I was able to easily detangle with my fingers. It didn't even cross my mind to use a comb, that is how easy my fingers were going through my 4B fine hair. And the shedded hair was coming out easily. My hair wasn't curl defined though it was stretched, light, soft, and kind of fluffy.

Bought at Whole Foods for $6.99 for a 8.5oz bottle.

The above products are great. They will definitely be staples in my bathroom.

Giovanni Direct Leave-In

All I can say is that FOR ME it lived up to the hype. It was great to use a creamy leave in that my hair took to immediately. It easily distributed throughout my hair w/o have to work work work it in, my hair was already soft to the touch and this just added to it even more. I have used some leave ins that SUCK. My hair like hardens up or gets sticky crunchy with them initially, but when my hair drys it's back to normal. This didn't do that at all, it initially went on smoothly and today my hair is still smoothed.

Now here are some photos. I have not used any serum or oil for shine so it does look a little dull. But, my hair is soft and feels moisturized. I just wanted to use all these products w/o help from anything else to get the real feel of the products. I am long winded I know, but hopefully this helps someone in the future when they are using the BEAUTIFUL SEARCH FUNCTION.

I did two strand twist and pin curled them to create a curly fro. HAHAHAHAHA! :lachen: IT DID NOT WORK! Needless to say.

Last edited:

msa

Re: 4B Natural: Giovanni Smooth As Silk Shampoo, Conditioner, & Direct Leave In Revie

I love Giovanni Smooth as Silk Conditioner. I don't use it any more because I'm only using natural products now, but if I'm ever in a bind I would reach for that conditioner.

It made my hair really soft and I was also able to detangle only using my fingers. And, it's a deep conditioner as well which is why I think it was so great on my hair. It smells good too!

ETA: to get a curly fro I two strand twist and then bantu knot (not pincurl) on damp hair with shea butter. let it dry overnight and then the next day I have a curly fro.

Last edited:

lovinmylocs

Re: 4B Natural: Giovanni Smooth As Silk Shampoo, Conditioner, & Direct Leave In Revie

Ummmm...is it just me but where are the pics? I can't see them. LOL

NGraceO

Im usually on the other side of the fence when I say Smooth as silk shampoo absolutely SUCKED for me. Made my hair hair as a brick...and stripped. I dunno. I wouldve mistaken it for a harsh clarifyer. Did the same to my sister's hair. However, Direct Leave in is AMAZING. Make tangles fall out of my relaxed sisters's hair. It even works magic on my weave! LOL

cocopuff06

I wanna see the pics!!!

TrustMeLove

I'm walking to class checking LHCF ON MY PHONE. But I see the pics clear as day. Let me see if I can figure out whats going on via phone if not do after class.

amara11

Thanks for sharing.

I am not really a PJ but dang it, I feel it coming. Thanks a lot :smirk:

:lol:

Mom23

Thanks for the review. I love the leave-in, so I may try the shampoo and conditioner too. :yep:

TrustMeLove

I love Giovanni Smooth as Silk Conditioner. I don't use it any more because I'm only using natural products now, but if I'm ever in a bind I would reach for that conditioner.

It made my hair really soft and I was also able to detangle only using my fingers. And, it's a deep conditioner as well which is why I think it was so great on my hair. It smells good too!

ETA: to get a curly fro I two strand twist and then bantu knot (not pincurl) on damp hair with shea butter. let it dry overnight and then the next day I have a curly fro.

Hahaha. You bust my bubble. I think I am doing something semi "natural" at least. lol. Regular stuff just doesn't work on my hair anymore. Like I really can't use you know conditioners that have mostly chemical ingredients. It doesn't work on my hair. My hair just rejects any and all attempts by those conditioners to condition. lol

So finding TJ Nourish Spa honestly has been a hair saver as well as AO Products and now Giovanni.

I tried doing Baking soda rinse and stuff, by my hair was dry and hard etc...no matter what I did to change the concoction (sp).

What natural mixes are you using?

TrustMeLove

I THINK I FIXED THE PIC PROBLEM. CHECK AND SEE LADIES!

TrustMeLove

Thanks for sharing.

I am not really a PJ but dang it, I feel it coming. Thanks a lot :smirk:

:lol:

Quit playing. You already have the bottles hiding under your bathroom cabinet. You know you sent me a PM regarding this Giovanni stuff to give you some cover. lol. :lachen:

sydwrites

Thanks for the review, I thought I heard Giovanni products were natural, they're not???

msa

Hahaha. You bust my bubble. I think I am doing something semi "natural" at least. lol. Regular stuff just doesn't work on my hair anymore. Like I really can't use you know conditioners that have mostly chemical ingredients. It doesn't work on my hair. My hair just rejects any and all attempts by those conditioners to condition. lol

So finding TJ Nourish Spa honestly has been a hair saver as well as AO Products and now Giovanni.

I tried doing Baking soda rinse and stuff, by my hair was dry and hard etc...no matter what I did to change the concoction (sp).

What natural mixes are you using?

Believe me, it was hard for me to give up my Giovanni Smooth as Silk because I loved it so much. I just really like the idea that I can have nice hair without having to use "products".

I use baking soda to clean my hair/scalp. I think my hair can handle a lot of it in my mix, but some people need to use way less in order to avoid dryness. So be careful of that. I used to use castile soap, which is great. I still use it from time to time but it actually causes more dryness for me. Make sure you dilute it. I generally use baking soda about twice a month, sometimes only once. I rinse my hair often so it doesn't really get dirty.

As far as conditioners...I use coconut milk sometimes. Other than that, I don't really use a conditioner. I love oils. Love love love them. I've found that keeping my hair lubricated helps me avoid single strand knots. Coconut oil actually moisturizes my hair. I use castor oil almost daily (I rinse my hair a lot). I use evoo to detangle if i've let my hair shrink up a few days in a row. I also use shea butter for doing bantu knot outs or twists and it keeps my hair soft.

For me, water is my moisturizer. Everything I add to my hair is so that it will keep the water in/on my hair.

Allandra

Thanks for your review. I'm looking forward to trying out my Giovanni Smooth as Silk Shampoo and Conditioner. I already love the Giovanni Direct Leave in Conditioner.

that_1_grrrl

You should try Giovanni's Tea Tree shampoo. It feels so good. Well, only if you like a tingling (not burning) sensation on your scalp. I just realized some people don't.

Whisper

Oh my goodness!! I just bought this conditioner today and used it as a Co wash. Applied to dry hair and sat under the dryer, rinsed out... WOOOO!! :drunk: :spinning: I've never REALLY had slip like this before. :lick: As I rinse, I comb and let me tell you, it felt goody goody!! My Rite Aid had it on sale BOGO, that is the only reason I tried it. :yep:
NO fresh relaxer here. I am 2 months post with about an inch and a half. This is a keeper for me. i want to see how it will work on freshly washed hair then deep condition.
Now I see why some people go crazy over some slip because I am officially there too!

Fleurzty

I was eying this when I picked up the 50:50 yesterday too. Now I regret not listening to my inner PJ :look:

oreoday99

I'm so glad I found this post. I just purchased the conditioner and the leave in. I hope it works well for my natural 4a/b hair.:grin:

Junebug D

*inner product junkie must resist*

zzirvingj

Im usually on the other side of the fence when I say Smooth as silk shampoo absolutely SUCKED for me. Made my hair hair as a brick...and stripped. I dunno. I wouldve mistaken it for a harsh clarifyer. Did the same to my sister's hair. However, Direct Leave in is AMAZING. Make tangles fall out of my relaxed sisters's hair. It even works magic on my weave! LOL

I also had the WORST experience with Giovanni SAS poo! Made my hair mat instantly upon applying it. The conditioner was ok but nothing spectacular to me. I do however still love the Direct Leave In :yep:

I'm glad you had success with all your products OP :drunk: