4b Natural Roller Set - Pics

anon123

Edit: I will add short clips or photos of the rollerset each day at the bottom of this post.
PS: yes, I have separated the curls a bit now, :giggle:

I tried again. I used coconut oil and about 50 perm rods. A bit air dried, but also under the bonnet drier (i hate that thing) for about 45 minutes.

Actually, from the front it looks pretty good. :grin:

The side, uh, not as perfect, but okay I guess

But from the back, :perplexed

Day 2 clip:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v194/mwedzi/hair - part 2/?action=view&current=rollersetday2.flv

Day 3 clip:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v194/mwedzi/hair - part 2/?action=view&current=Rollersetday3.flv

Day 4 pic:

Day 4 clip:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v194/mwedzi/hair - part 2/?action=view&current=rollersetday4.flv

Day 5 pic:

Day 5 clip:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v194/mwedzi/hair - part 2/?action=view&current=rollersetday5-1.flv

Day 6 pic:

Last edited:

Keedah

I think it would look good if you pull the curls out a little.
I love my natural rollersets! Just make sure you get the roller all the way down to the root and its nice and taunt.

AnjelLuvs

I dont think it looks bad at all... Like another poster mentioned, pulling out the curls prolly would look HAWT...

anon123

Thanks. That's a good idea. I will definitely try to pull the curls apart a bit in a day or two. This roller set is not super tight, though, and my hair is very kinky, so I am 95% sure that separating it will make it puffier.

Last edited:

laurend

Thanks. I will try to pull the curls apart a bit in a day or two. This roller set is not super tight, though, and my hair is very kinky, so I am 95% sure that separating it will make it puffier.

You might want to try doing the ponytail roller set technique, it might make get your roots straighter.

anon123

That's a good idea. I did think I might try that some day. After I separate them, I'm pretty sure it will be puffy so I'll have to put it into a ponypuff anyway. But I'd need a lot of ponytails. My hair doesn't slick down from being in a ponytail. Here are my roots even after banding with about 20 ponytails.

I think I can get it tighter if I do a few more rollers in the back and try to pull it tighter. Once there are sooo many rollers in, it gets hard to fit them all directly against the scalp, though. I might be able to do it with more practice, though.

Naturallong81

oh u got so much pretty hair. u roll straight across or up and down? i would suggest big rollers so when you fluff it out it will keep the style.

MrsMe

I love it! It may not be perfect yet, but this looks great already! Let's not forget that this is a rollerset on 4a/b hair. I tried with my hair and it looks so-so and doesn't last more than a day... Did you do that today? Are you going to keep your hair like that for a few days?

levone

I think it looks great for your first try. I want to start experimenting again with rollersets before it gets too hot here. I can get them smooth initially, but they don't last. Hopefully I can work on that. Thanks for posting!

BTW, what products did you use for this?

anon123

I love it! It may not be perfect yet, but this looks great already! Let's not forget that this is a rollerset on 4a/b hair. I tried with my hair and it looks so-so and doesn't last more than a day... Did you do that today? Are you going to keep your hair like that for a few days?

Yes, I did it today. Considering I'm 4b, I was really impressed with myself, haha. How many rollers did you use? What type? I don't know how long it will last. How am I going to sleep?! :spinning: If it looks like this tomorrow, I'll wear it down again. If it looks not so great, I'll separate it with my fingers. If that doesn't look good, I'll put it into a puff.

I think it looks great for your first try. I want to start experimenting again with rollersets before it gets too hot here. I can get them smooth initially, but they don't last. Hopefully I can work on that. Thanks for posting!

BTW, what products did you use for this?

Thanks. I only used coconut oil. Maybe you're using too much humectant so it puffs up really fast?

oh u got so much pretty hair. u roll straight across or up and down? i would suggest big rollers so when you fluff it out it will keep the style.

I know so little about roller setting, I'm not even sure how to answer your question. but I did take a picture:

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
I actually think that looks pretty good, Mwedzi! Like someone else said, you have to consider that it's being done on 4b natural hair. It looks pretty straight, but I'd be interested in seeing if it puffs up tomorrow. I know when I rollerset my hair, it frizzes the same day (which is why I hate rollersetting).

Oh one more thing ... have you ever tried Curlformers? I know Gin used them on her 4b natural hair and they really pulled her hair really taut.

discodumpling

Great job mwedzi. Did you also use some type of setting lotion? You have an INCREDIBLE amount of hair it would take 100 flexirods for a tighter set!

anon123

I actually think that looks pretty good, Mwedzi! Like someone else said, you have to consider that it's being done on 4b natural hair. It looks pretty straight, but I'd be interested in seeing if it puffs up tomorrow. I know when I rollerset my hair, it frizzes the same day (which is why I hate rollersetting).

Oh one more thing ... have you ever tried Curlformers? I know Gin used them on her 4b natural hair and they really pulled her hair really taut.

No, I have not tried Curlformers. I want to, but it's really hard for me to justify the money when I have all these other rollers here. They are so expensive and I know I would need a lot.

Are you going to join the natural rollerset challenge group? Nice job.

Thanks. No, no roller set challenge for me. This took too long to do to have to do it every week. It ended up taking longer than my twists.

Please post a picture of it tomorrow, i'd like to see it on a day by day basis, if you don't mind....

Will do. I'll try to take a picture each day until it's done.

Great job mwedzi. Did you also use some type of setting lotion? You have an INCREDIBLE amount of hair it would take 100 flexirods for a tighter set!

Thanks. No, I did not use a setting lotion. I tried Lotta Body before and didn't notice any difference. As long as it doesn't get rained on, my hair is kinky enough to hold a curl for a long time.

Nice job, but I wanna see the finished do!!!! (ie pulled out curls. :yep: )

Girl, this is the finished do! But I will separate them, maybe tomorrow. When I do that, though, most of the curl will go.