4b's How do you bun it/stretch it post 6wks or more w/o using heat???

janeemat

I'm in the "Hide your hair til April Fool" and I have been bunning since Dec 22nd. Once I get around 6wks post, I have to use some heat. Here is my routine. I wash on Wed/Sat. On Sat I do my normal routine and I always set my hair. For the first 5wks I can do the doobie wrap which always comes out very nice. Starting 6wks because of the ng the doobie goes out. I set and then I use my t3 iron to press and pull through each individual curl. Results, nice bouncy shiney hair. Looks almost like a dominican blow out. Of course, then my hair goes back in the bun after a couple hours. Here is my dilema. I refuse to and just do not have the time to set on Wed and do NOT want to use heat on Wed. This past Wed I combed it back and did a wet bun sitting under the dryer for about 30 min. Put my normal oils and tied it down and went to bed. Since I do wear a part, I did take the curling iron the next morning and smooth around the part some. Well, of course being 4b it's just not as nice without set/heat. I'm trying for as less manipulation as possible on Wed. What's the trick to having a nice looking smooth bun when you have ng popping out every where? My plan is to stretch 12 wks during this challenge for a first time. I work in a professional environment, so my hair must be presentable and to my liking. Wigs, weaves, braids are out because my husband would divorce me and truly they're not my style. I just can't through 2 braids and come to work. I guess I'll just have to deal with spongy bun for two days. I know my co workers are wondering what's up with my hair these days. I think I may wear a hat on Thurs/Fri since Fri are dress down anyway.

janeemat said:
I'm in the "Hide your hair til April Fool" and I have been bunning since Dec 22nd. Once I get around 6wks post, I have to use some heat. Here is my routine. I wash on Wed/Sat. On Sat I do my normal routine and I always set my hair. For the first 5wks I can do the doobie wrap which always comes out very nice. Starting 6wks because of the ng the doobie goes out. I set and then I use my t3 iron to press and pull through each individual curl. Results, nice bouncy shiney hair. Looks almost like a dominican blow out. Of course, then my hair goes back in the bun after a couple hours. Here is my dilema. I refuse to and just do not have the time to set on Wed and do NOT want to use heat on Wed. This past Wed I combed it back and did a wet bun sitting under the dryer for about 30 min. Put my normal oils and tied it down and went to bed. Since I do wear a part, I did take the curling iron the next morning and smooth around the part some. Well, of course being 4b it's just not as nice without set/heat. I'm trying for as less manipulation as possible on Wed. What's the trick to having a nice looking smooth bun when you have ng popping out every where? My plan is to stretch 12 wks during this challenge for a first time. I work in a professional environment, so my hair must be presentable and to my liking. Wigs, weaves, braids are out because my husband would divorce me and truly they're not my style. I just can't through 2 braids and come to work. I guess I'll just have to deal with spongy bun for two days. I know my co workers are wondering what's up with my hair these days. I think I may wear a hat on Thurs/Fri since Fri are dress down anyway.

You would be surprisesd at how much they actually could care less.

When I started the protective styling thing, I thought all eyes were on me and that everyone just had to be noticing that my hair wasn't down like usual-No One Cared. :lol:

I just wash, airdry with my silk scarf on, and I bun everyday with a baggie on the tip and a bun cover. If you want to bun, bun. Don't base your decisions on your co-workers.

I am a 4a/bcd and 10 weeks post relax and I bun my hair or wear a phony pony using NO HEAT. Heat is not a friend of mine. I wash once or twice a week and , leave in, a lil moisturizer and Vatika or castor oil, then tie down my hair and let it airdry through the night. Style it in a bun or baggie it with a phony pony and smooth it down with oil, no comb or brush needed. I tied it down again after styling and take off my scarf before I get to work.

The beyond the zone stiff head styling stick has been a saviour for me. I am bunning for the next few months. They sell it at sally's and if you don't like it you can take it back. I airdry with my satin scarf. It works wonders for me.

Thanks ladies for the encouragment. I may opt to just wash on Sat and skip Wed for the last few weeks of the stretch. I just love my middle of the week deep cond. Right now I'm on a mission for healthy longer hair!

Back