6-month stretch successful after all!

Synthia said:
Yes, I did. In the past. I broke off a lot of hair. So, I'm scared to ever lighten again. I've been googling for a healthy, natural way to lighten, but there really isn't one. Lemon juice does not work. :lol: So, I've reconciled myself to having dark hair.

I'd rather go for length over color as apparently my hair cannot handle both, I don't think ... the initial color was fine. It's the constant touch ups did me in.

Sorry to hear that.....I was really dumb to color when i first got it and the very first time my brother did it, it wasn't the exact color I thought it was going to be, so after I got home and realized it wasn't quite IT, I took him a picture the very next week, thinking he was supposed to fix it:lol: . He looked at me like I was crazy! Girl, I didn't know. I had never had any kind of highlights or anything in my life. But he didn't tell me that it required EXTRA moisture; had to experiment through trial and error and also find that out here on the board (about moisture period)

Did you lighten the entire head or just highlights? It was about a year from the first time I got highlights until I got them touched up. Right now, about half the length of my hair is highlighted and the other half isn't and I'm trying to decide whether to just let it go on and grow all the way out or not.

You know what's best for your hair, but I'm like you, I'll take health over length any day!!!

blackbarbie said:
Sorry to hear that.....I was really dumb to color when i first got it and the very first time my brother did it, it wasn't the exact color I thought it was going to be, so after I got home and realized it wasn't quite IT, I took him a picture the very next week, thinking he was supposed to fix it:lol: . He looked at me like I was crazy! Girl, I didn't know. I had never had any kind of highlights or anything in my life. But he didn't tell me that it required EXTRA moisture; had to experiment through trial and error and also find that out here on the board (about moisture period)

Did you lighten the entire head or just highlights? It was about a year from the first time I got highlights until I got them touched up. Right now, about half the length of my hair is highlighted and the other half isn't and I'm trying to decide whether to just let it go on and grow all the way out or not.

You know what's best for your hair, but I'm like you, I'll take health over length any day!!!

OK. Here's my long, but funny (to me :look:) story:

One time Ulta had this 'sun-in' product on sale for really cheap because they were discontinuing it. It was basically straight bleach. :eek:. But at the time, I had healthy, thick hair that was growing pretty effortlessly.

I put the bleach on for just like 5 minutes and it lifted my hair a shade or two to a really nice brown/bronze that I've never really seen on a color box. (There is nothing more beautiful than the natural color you get from a subtle lift). At first it wasn't noticeable to me. But then I got all these compliments.

Initially things were fine. No damage. But I never added extra moisture and my hair began to suffer.

Then over the summer, the sun lightened it ...and it was apparent I had to tone it down to keep it in harmony with my chocolate skin tone and do something to the contrasting roots.

So I went to a salon to have a friend recreate the color. She told me my hair was in poor condition. I said 'what are you talking about, I just conditioned it?" :lol:. I was so stupid to hair care. I had no idea she meant I had breakage. She could see it had been breaking off at the crown and back and in other places. I had hair of all different lengths do to breakage.

But she colored it anyway. It looked superb. Then I was out with this guy a few weeks later, and he said 'Did you cut your hair?'

I said 'no.' I grabbed a mirror and looked in the back ...whew! my hair was gone. I try to pull hair from the sides to the back to cover it (I honestly never looked at the back of my hair till I came on this site :lol:). Anyway. I wore my hair up with long side tendrils until the back grew out to the base of my neck.

Then I cut all my hair that length. It was horrible.

So, um, no lifting color for me. My hair has not grown 'effortlessly' since.

Last edited:
Girl!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: Talk about hair anorexia! Your hair looks great. That is wonderful growth! I love that color too.

OMG!!!!!!Your hair is absolutely beautiful. So thick and healthy looking!!!!!!! Congratulations on such great growth!!!!

VERY NICE!!!

I WISH I COULD DO 6 MONTHS!!! my stylist would kill me, she and i can just about handle 3 months

This is some wonderful progress and some pretty hair! Very nice.:) Congratulations...wow!

Back