7 Days In The Dark: Time Is Running Out For Teenage Soccer Team

TCatt86

I made the mistake of downloading and watching the dramatization of the Nutty Putty guys story. Called The Last Descent. O Em Gee. :cry2:

I could barely watch the early scenes when he was squeezing into the cave tunnels. :badidea: I can’t believe that this is an actual sport :eek:
i felt sick when I was reading his moments before getting stuck. basically he inhaled to go deeper and when he went moved down the turn he exhaled and got stuck. Then for him to be stuck upside down. Why would anyone want to go into q space that small.

I don't thibk these kids did anything that extreme. They basically walked in. There problem is they went in too close to rainy season and can't swim out.

Peppermynt

Defying Gravity
i felt sick when I was reading his moments before getting stuck. basically he inhaled to go deeper and when he went moved down the turn he exhaled and got stuck. Then for him to be stuck upside down. Why would anyone want to go into q space that small.

I don't thibk these kids did anything that extreme. They basically walked in. There problem is they went in too close to rainy season and can't swim out.

I felt sick watching it too. Especially knowing how it ends up. I’ve never felt super claustrophobic before, but watching it was seriously disturbing. I felt so incredibly panicked for him that I had to pause it and come back in a few minutes.

I suspect the boys squeezed through a couple tight spots too though. Nothing that was like what Nutty dude did, but just looking at some of the pictures makes me think they may have. Their miscalculation was going further given it is rainy season. Or rather their coach’s miscalculation because this was completely his fault.

Reinventing21

Spreading my wings
I understand people blaming the coach but wouldn't he have gotten permission from the parents? Not one of parents, locals, teachers, friends mentioned the rainy season/weather forecast? I think they all genuinely thought that they had more time since the rain season starts in July.

I feel terrible for the rescue worker who died.

OhTall1

I don't thibk these kids did anything that extreme. They basically walked in.
If you look at the diagram of the path, there are at least two spots where they probably needed to crawl to get through. They're saying that some spots are so tight that it won't be possible for them to pass through wearing a scuba tank.

Southernbella.

This is too much.

"As the New York Times reports, oxygen is starting run out in the alcove where they are located. “The oxygen level in the boys’ cavern is about 15 percent and decreasing,” the Times reports.

The air you and I are comfortably breathing contains around 21 percent oxygen. Dipping below 16 percent is like the equivalent of climbing a tall mountain.

The oxygen in the cave is depleted because the area where the kids are trapped does not seem to be receiving much ventilation from the surface. Which means every breath they breathe in, and every breath their rescuers breathe in, strips a tiny about of oxygen from their environment. And every exhalation also increases the amount of carbon dioxide in the environment, which too, over some time, can make it harder to breathe."

https://www.vox.com/science-and-hea...soccer-team-cave-rescue-oxygen-medical-health

Southernbella.

Can someone who's already been sufficiently traumatized by this Nutty Puddy story share a G rated version of it?

A young white doctor went spelunking with friends and got stuck between some rocks in a cave. They couldn't get him out and he died leaving behind his pregnant wife and toddler. His body is still in there. The other details:

He got stuck upside down. He was like that for something like 18 hours. They thought about breaking his legs to unwedge him but they didn't want him to go into shock. I got anxious and skimmed so I don't know the particulars but they finally got him unwedged a with a cable I think but then he fell back in and got wedged even further. He eventually suffocated. His wife got to talk to him before he died.

Leeda.the.Paladin

There is more rain coming...

Dark clouds drift ominously overhead. Weather forecasters predict heavy rains Saturday evening and throughout the week.
The chamber in which the boys are located is no longer thought safe. Even if they are given enough food to wait out the rainy season, there is no guarantee that the ledge they are sitting on will not be submerged.
There are no easy decisions. But with the flood waters expected to rise in the coming days, a decision will have to be made soon.
"The teams there will have a tipping point where they have to make that call to bring them out. To leave them there would almost certainly result in them drowning," said one British mining engineer and experienced cave diver, who did not wish to be named due to the sensitivity of the subject.

"The tipping point will be related to how much rain is starting to fall, water levels inside, versus how the boys are doing. They'll be looking at flow rates, recorded rain full over the past weeks, months to get a rough indicator of where they're at, they'll have a deadline in mind, and then they'll go for the most unpopular way out," he added.
Each day rescuers at the camp talk of differing strategies. Drilling holes, expanding the tunnels, pumping out water.
Earlier this week, authorities announced that the boys, the youngest of whom is just 11 years old, would undergo a crash course in scuba training in the hopes that they might be able to dive out.

Leeda.the.Paladin

Thai Navy SEAL says 4 members of soccer team are out of the cave

The Thai Navy SEAL official Facebook page reports that four members of the Wild Boar soccer team are out of the cave.

A U.S. official briefed on the operation also confirmed to CNN that four boys were safely out of the cave.

Earlier a rescuer told CNN he had seen at least three.

This comes several hours after a team of 13 international cave diving experts and five Thai Navy SEALs entered the cave to begin the treacherous attempt to accompany the boys one by one through the flooded, narrow tunnels