7 Reasons Why Your Hair is Short…And How to Grow it Longer

thatscuteright

Long, gorgeous hair represents health, beauty, youth and so many positive attributes. There is a great deal of power in hair. A woman’s hair is her crowning glory as the saying goes. Today, women have many options with their hair, and there are many women who prefer and proudly wear their hair short. For these women short hair suits them and their lifestyle. However for other women that would like to grow out their hair and would like to enjoy longer hair, we decided to tackle some reasons why your hair may stay at a certain length and not reach its optimum potential.

1.Lack of proper nourishment

Short, dry, brittle, and damaged hair is the result of your hair care practices and product usage as well as your diet. Although hair is technically dead, your scalp isn’t, and proper nourishment from food and vitamins will ensure that you are getting all the nutrients that you need to grow longer hair. Diet plays such an important role in hair health and length. Fruits, vegetables, nuts and proteins can give you the vital nutrition that you need for healthy hair and growth. Protein is very vital and should be regularly consumed. Whether from a plant or animal, protein is a key ingredient in healthy hair growth.

2.Lack of supplements

Vitamins are very important for not just the growth of hair but for overall health. Supplements such as Biotin, can be very beneficial for growing longer hair. Supplements often provide the nutrients and minerals that may not be obtained through diet. Many of us living in the western world eat foods today that are missing the nutritional content that they had many years ago due to poor soil, and other production and manufacturing practices. To supplement our diets, we have to seek outside sources. We would like to recommend Priteva Ultra Charge Hair Formula,( www.priteva.com) as a fantastic supplement for helping you obtain longer hair, it has good quality ingredients and its is effective. You should see visible results in about 30 days. It contains all the necessary vitamins needed for healthy hair growth.

3.Improper Scalp Care

Some women have scalp issues resulting from the buildup of hair products, sweat, and debris. Proper scalp treatment is one that maintains a clean scalp while leaving it in an optimal state for hair growth. Using a proper shampoo and conditioner that leaves your scalp with the right PH balance is the first step.

4.Rough or Damaging Hair care practices

Perms, highlights, extensions………Such practices as using too much heat ( blow dryer, curling iron, Dominican salons, etc….) brushing hair when its wet, not wrapping or covering hair at night ( for certain hair textures). Using rubber bands as ponytail holders and rough combing and forceful hair manipulation can all lead to breakage. From highlights to lowlights, chemical perms to chemical straightening, blow drying, braiding, and bleaching, how we treat our hair has a direct impact on how healthy — or unhealthy — it looks. Causing split ends, lack of luster, or hair breakage, our styling habits play havoc on the one thing we’re trying to capture – beauty. Heat, chemicals, dyes, and certain styling practices all cause some degree of damage. When it comes to hair practices, less is more and gentleness is key.

Last edited:

thatscuteright

5.Using the wrong products for your hair type

Products that contain high amounts of alcohol or cones can be very drying and damaging to certain hair textures. Using products that contain cheap ingredients such as mineral oil, and petroleum can clog the scalp and prevent proper hair growth as well.

6.You or your stylist are scissor happy.

Many women have left their stylists chairs in tears when what has taken them over a year or several years to grow is cut off in mere minutes. Frequent trims are beneficial to maintaining a head of healthy hair, as split ends can damage your hair when they move up to the hair shaft, however, there is great difference between “trim” and “cut”. Whether you decide to trim your hair or let a professional, take care to only trim what is needed.

7.Genetics

Genetics can and does play a key role in hair length, but it is not the overall determining factor in hair length. One woman may be able to grow her hair to waist length while another woman can only grow her hair to shoulder length. That is absolutely fine. With proper nourishment obtained through diet and supplements, each woman can have a healthy head of hair, that reaches its maximum potential.

Share this:

Last edited:

Ogoma

Haha! I was just about to say LCHF won't agree with number 7.

I agree with the entire list. I think genetic does play a role in the rate of growth and hair cycle which both impacts lenght.

But shoulder length though. They couldn't even move it down to BSL. :lol:

Bunnyhaslonghair

Ebonics Queen
Haha! I was just about to say LCHF won't agree with number 7.

I agree with the entire list. I think genetic does play a role in the rate of growth and hair cycle which both impacts lenght.

I agree except I think it is highly unlikely shoulder length is going to be anyone's terminal length. Think knee, ankle, floor. Maybe waist at the shortest. I think terminal is often used as a cop out.

virtuenow

I find this list to be discouraging to those who genuinely want to grow hair. I don't like the last tip-- and don't necessarily believe it. I just have a problem with this list in general.

Last edited:

TamedTresses

Many women have left their stylists chairs in tears when what has taken them over a year or several years to grow is cut off in mere minutes. Frequent trims are beneficial to maintaining a head of healthy hair, as split ends can damage your hair when they move up to the hair shaft, however, there is great difference between “trim” and “cut”. Whether you decide to trim your hair or let a professional, take care to only trim what is needed.

Apparently, most stylists missed the memo...or they all skipped that day of class.

thatscuteright

I disagree with #2
You do not need to pop pills for hair growth
My opinion: We have become a society of pill poppers

I can see that, but if your nutrition is lacking or you don't eat well, then I do not see a problem with supplements. Plus living in the west, you are constantly fighting for your health due to GMO, and foods that have been stripped of its nutrients for faster reproduction.

There have been several threads about diet and nutrition and its role in hair health.

FrazzledFraggle

I disagree with #2
You do not need to pop pills for hair growth
My opinion: We have become a society of pill poppers

I think supplements are necessary even if you eat right because the way food is produced and even ripened now has changed the nutritional value of foods we eat. Even tomatoes are ripened by Ethylene gas in transit. Unless you really have balanced meals everyday and almost none of us do, we really need nutritional supplements IMO.

FrazzledFraggle

I can see that, but if your nutrition is lacking or you don't eat well, then I do not see a problem with supplements. Plus living in the west, you are constantly fighting for your health due to GMO, and foods that have been stripped of its nutrients for faster reproduction.

There have been several threads about diet and nutrition and its role in hair health.

Well, I guess I didn't even need to post. :lol:

lana

All I know is that Mane & Tail Conditioner keeps the hair on my head.

Nexxus Humectress makes my texlaxed hair retain length.

Vitamins gave me thicker, longer hair.

When I stopped going to a salon, I hit BSL within a short period of time. I was ear length at the salons.

That's about it.

Signed - heading toward MBL.

MariposaSexyGirl

I don't believe number 7. And for number 2 eh. I'm very inconsistent with my vitamins. Like going several months without them and it hasn't kept my hair from growing. *shrug*.

lovegymnasts

I think supplements are necessary even if you eat right because the way food is produced and even ripened now has changed the nutritional value of foods we eat. Even tomatoes are ripened by Ethylene gas in transit. Unless you really have balanced meals everyday and almost none of us do, we really need nutritional supplements IMO.

"research doesn't prove they are beneficial, and they might even be harmful in some cases"
"High doses of certain vitamins and minerals can create adverse effects"

Popping pills to grow hair is unnecessary and risky especially when I have noticed most people are going overboard and have experienced side effects.
Simply reviewing the threads on this board supports my statement.
Why are you gambling with your health over hair?

The oldest living people are not the ones who are popping vitamins everyday.
The women with the longest hair are not popping hair pills everyday either.

spelmanlocks

I don't agree with the vitamins, but I do agree with the genetics part. Some people can grow super long hair with minimum effort and that's where I think genetics comes into play.

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
I do too, but I'm starting to believe that for myself, LOL.

Signed,
-BSL for over a year...

I got the impression that the advice is for those of us who are not so lucky.

I do all of the things listed and my hair doesn't grow half as fast as hers and she does none of it.

Only thing we don't have control over is genetics...

DirectorChic

"research doesn't prove they are beneficial, and they might even be harmful in some cases"
"High doses of certain vitamins and minerals can create adverse effects"

Popping pills to grow hair is unnecessary and risky especially when I have noticed most people are going overboard and have experienced side effects.
Simply reviewing the threads on this board supports my statement.
Why are you gambling with your health over hair?

The oldest living people are not the ones who are popping vitamins everyday.
The women with the longest hair are not popping hair pills everyday either.

I think it is only risky especially if one goes over board with them. As always I think we should be balanced when it comes to using supplements. I am not a daily pill popper but I do take them from time to time. But I am not dead against vitamins. Sometimes it pays to do a some research on which brands are the best. But I would not totally throw supplementation out with the bath water. Simply stated just be smart if one chooses to incorporate them.

I think the ladies have a point about diet and supplementation.....especially if you don't own land and grow your own food. :yep:

claud-uk

I agree except I think it is highly unlikely shoulder length is going to be anyone's terminal length. Think knee, ankle, floor. Maybe waist at the shortest. I think terminal is often used as a cop out.

I agree with the point made at #7 - the average growth rate is 0.5" per month and the growth cycle lasts anything from 2 - 7 years. If you have average growth (or less) and your genetics is the shortest cycle, APL might just be your terminal length. Saying that, I agree with you at the bolded. It's darn-near impossible to grow a head of hair from start to terminal length unless the hair is:

never manipulated, thus avoiding mechanical breakage;
never combed, avoiding possible premature shedding;

AND each hair is individually marked/numbered for easy tracking over its lifetime.

thatscuteright

I agree with the point made at #7 - the average growth rate is 0.5" per month and the growth cycle lasts anything from 2 - 7 years. If you have average growth (or less) and your genetics is the shortest cycle, APL might just be your terminal length. Saying that, I agree with you at the bolded. It's darn-near impossible to grow a head of hair from start to terminal length unless the hair is:

never manipulated, thus avoiding mechanical breakage;
never combed, avoiding possible premature shedding;

AND each hair is individually marked/numbered for easy tracking over its lifetime.

Great info

10 char.