A couple of questions on straw sets...

soslychic

*First of all, when you do straw sets, how long are you supposed to make the straws?
*Does anyone know where I can get regular straight up and down straws instead of the flexi kind?
*Can you use flexi straws and just cut off the flexi part because that's the only kind I can find in any store right now.
*How do you roll? Do you start the straw at the tip and roll up or start at the top and twist your hair around the straw with your finger?
*Do you roll into like a coil (like you would with a roller) or do you literally spiral it around so that you see separated spirals instead of one big strawsize coil?
*Ah and one more thing, how do you attach the bobby pin to the straw? Do you put half INSIDE and half OUTSIDE or do you put the whole thing OVER the straw therefore attaching it to the head. (Ok that one was REALLY confusing, maybe somebody understands what I'm talking about)
smile.gif

Hope these make sense. I already have long descriptions of how to do strawsets, but these are a few of the questions I need answered.

1.THe straws are supposed to be cut at a lenght a little longer than your hair's lenght.

2. I believe you can use drinking straws you can get them at grocery stores.

3. I would start at the tip and roll kind of on an angle and the up.

4.It's up to you on that. I hope this helped. BTW you are supposed to use end papers.

If you have anymore questions go to blackhairmedia.net and look under link on how to style natural hair. Good luck!

You know what, I think it would be easiest to go to the Beauty Supply and buy those spiral curlers, they come in blue and white. And just get the smallest size, that should give you a beautiful straw set, unless you want your hair to come out in even smaller curls/spirals. But I think they are very easy to use.

Thanks so much Alli!
Hey Nay, I wanted to try those, but I heard a few horror stories from this board. Are they easy to use even for natural hair?

*First of all, when you do straw sets, how long are you supposed to make the straws? A little longer (at least an inch) than ur hair wrapped around them. Meaning take a straw, start from the bottom and wrap ur hair upwards so that a spiral is made... as long as you have about an inch section left over cut the rest of them the same size (unless u have layers).

*Does anyone know where I can get regular straight up and down straws instead of the flexi kind? 99cent store, or any grocery store, they come in boxes of 100 to 500.

*Can you use flexi straws and just cut off the flexi part because that's the only kind I can find in any store right now. If you like, yes.. but remember, it has to be at least 1" longer than ur hair.

*How do you roll? Do you start the straw at the tip and roll up or start at the top and twist your hair around the straw with your finger? Take an end paper, start at the bottom of the straw - wrap 2x then go upwards with the hair to form a shirley temple curl (spiral), use a long bobby pin to secure it at the top of ur head.

*Do you roll into like a coil (like you would with a roller) or do you literally spiral it around so that you see separated spirals instead of one big strawsize coil?
Literally, spiral it around.
smile.gif

*Ah and one more thing, how do you attach the bobby pin to the straw? Do you put half INSIDE and half OUTSIDE ...
smile.gif

Lastly, there is a very detailed thread about strawsets that i will bump for you... if i can find it
laugh.gif

Thanks CaramelHonee! Your answers were very helpful.
And thanks for the bumps as well! Good reminders!

Well I tried my first strawset last night and I like the way it turned out, although next time I'll need to make the sections a little smaller. But I am looking for ideas to add a little more shine. Thanks to all for all their help
smile.gif

Sorry I'm so late soslychic,

I've never had problems using those spiral rods. I really like them. You just have to be gentle with your hair.

Glad to hear your first try was a success:)

Thanks Nay. One more question if you don't mind...Will even short hair stay attached to the rod? My hair's barely long enough to get in a ponytail, about 6 inches when stretched.

Back