A Decline In Hair Relaxer Sales

mscocoface

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/business/20080229-1155-blackhairentrepreneurs.html

By Dionne Walker
ASSOCIATED PRESS

11:55 a.m. February 29, 2008

BALTIMORE – Hunched over folding tables in their Baltimore basement, Pierre and Jamyla Bennu put the “hand” in Oyin Handmade, meticulously squeezing droplets of oil into amber-colored bottles of “Juices and Berries” hair tonic.

They spend up to 18 hours a day concocting products aimed largely at black women who've abandoned hair straighteners for their natural locks – fragile coils easily dried by many store products.

Blacks have long bristled at figures showing the billion-dollar black hair care products market led by white firms.

But as black women frustrated with chemical damage reconsider straightening their hair, black-owned mini-companies like Oyin have emerged as go-to sources of organic products, capitalizing on their firsthand knowledge of ethnic hair to return the market to its roots.

“There's an empowerment aspect,” explained Jamyla Bennu, who started out making products for her own “natural,” or chemically untreated, hair.
Oyin's products average $10 and rely on shea butter, honey and other cupboard ingredients. The Bennus ship more than 100 orders weekly, each averaging $40.

“I used to go to the post office once or twice a week on my bicycle,” she said. “(Now) three or four times a week, the post office picks up five or eight bins of packages from us.”

Krika Bradsher began her business, My Honey Child, after years styling natural hair in her Raleigh, N.C. salon.

“I found out using a lot of commercial products, that they weren't really designed for our hair ... We don't have any say so in designing them,” said Bradsher, who earns $3,000 a month selling products like soy moisturizers.
The brands are relatively small, marketed largely through black-aimed Web sites, salons and festivals like Atlanta's annual World Natural Hair, Health & Beauty Show.

Vendors ballooned from 25 at the outset of the 11-year-old show to 110 on average, said founder Taliah Waajid. About 10,000 consumers are expected in April, mostly women lured by the increased versatility of natural hair.

“You have a lot of younger stylists coming up, and they're adding creativity and creating styles that can work in the workplace,” Waajid said, pointing to Sisterlocks, a popular version of slender, easily curled dreadlocks.

In June, Chicago market research firm Mintel valued the black hair care products market at $1.8 billion.

That report named mainstream firms L'OrDeal USA, Alberto-Culver Co. and Procter & Gamble Co. the largest suppliers of hair products specifically made for blacks in the American food, drug and mass merchandising sector; brands include Just for Me, a line of products for children.

Blacks, meanwhile, have dominated the entrepreneurial side of the industry back to Madame C.J. Walker's early 20th century hair treatments, explained Lafayette Jones, founder of the American Health and Beauty Aids Institute, a Chicago association of minority-owned hair care companies.

They've historically spotted street trends like the Jheri curl of the '80s, he said, marketing them and selling out when business reached critical mass.
But Jones said modern black entrepreneurs have more formalized business training than previous generations, a key to holding on to the reins.
Black consumers, meanwhile, have more wealth – and potential investment capital – as well as a growing interest in keeping black dollars in the community.

Black buying power is projected to top $1.1 trillion by 2012, according to a July report by the Selig Center for Economic Growth at the University of Georgia. It placed black buying power at roughly $845 billion last year.
It's benefited firms like Carol's Daughter: Chairman Steve Stoute, himself black, credits investments from black entertainers and patronage from savvy black consumers with helping grow the company founded by a black New Yorker to a $20 million business known for organic products that pamper ethnic hair.

“I like to support our black business owners, so if I see someone who is offering a particular product, I'll give it a try,” said Angel Shabazz, a Richmond, Va. woman who uses Carol's Daughter on her dreadlocks.
Hair is a touchy subject for many black women.

Most straighten their hair for manageability and social acceptance, beginning the monthly ritual as early as age 5, explained Venus Opal Reese, assistant professor of aesthetics/cultural studies at the University of Texas at Dallas.

“Natural hair historically has been related to as militant,” Reese said. “If you go further back, it's been regarded as unclean and unkempt.”
Attitudes shifted in the late '90s, as kinky-haired entertainers like Lauryn Hill challenged traditional black beauty ideals, Reese said.

Also influential is the damage black women have seen from years of chemical straightening, said Sam Ennon, with the Black-Owned Beauty Supply Association, in San Mateo, Calif.

“The new generation is beginning to go natural because they have lost their hair,” said Ennon, who predicted the resulting change in product demands would continue.

“You're going to see more products for the natural type of hair style,” he said.
The Mintel report predicted a 23 percent decline in sales of straighteners, or “relaxers,” through 2011, while conditioner sales were expected to increase.

Some credit an awakening among black consumers.
Activist Duron Chavis said his annual Happily Natural Day, in Richmond, draws 1,000 consumers for an organic product expo and natural hair show – a modest turnout, but one Chavis said would've been scant years ago.
“People have become secure and affirming of who they are as African people,” Chavis said. “... They're going natural to affirm their heritage.”
Qhemet Biologics has tapped the trend.

The Tampa, Fl. business markets Egyptian-themed mixtures of Indian gooseberry and other exotic ingredients under the slogan “ancestral hair care for modern naturals.”

“I see the renewed interest in natural hair and use of natural products as part of a larger process of rediscovery,” said owner F. Butler. “It's a movement toward coming full circle.”

On the Net:
Oyin Handmade, www.oyinhandmade.com/
My Honey Child, www.myhoneychild.com/
Qhemet Biologics, www.qhemetbiologics.com/
World Natural Hair, Health & Beauty Show, www.naturalhairshow.org/

Traycee

We are so on the same page .....I was just looking this information up........Interesting .....

JustKiya

*cuts eye at comment about 'styles in the workplace' *

It's a good article, overall..... though if the implication that most women are going natural because the relaxers are ruining their hair is true.... :look: ... I'm sure L'Oreal will figure out a way to 'fix' that soon enough.

mscocoface

Too bad they didn't mention LHCF to learn how to maintain relaxed hair. Not sure how well the stretching would go over though with the masses even if it is a good idea in order to maintain healthy relaxed hair.

SouthernTease

I think it's great Black Women are starting to

move towards a back to basics approach to hair

and that other Black Women can make businesses

and profit from this revolution... it's a good deal.

It's about time.

LayneJ

*cuts eye at comment about 'styles in the workplace' *

It's a good article, overall..... though if the implication that most women are going natural because the relaxers are ruining their hair is true.... :look: ... I'm sure L'Oreal will figure out a way to 'fix' that soon enough.

That was a really interesting article, Ms C. Thanks for posting it!

To the bolded: I had to re-read that line about most people going natural because of damage; I wonder if that's true. That doesn't seem to be the case on LHCF, but maybe in real life ? Hm....

mscocoface

That was a really interesting article, Ms C. Thanks for posting it!

To the bolded: I had to re-read that line about most people going natural because of damage; I wonder if that's true. That doesn't seem to be the case on LHCF, but maybe in real life ? Hm....

That is the case for most women because of hair damage, but I truly believe if women got a hold of a LHCF subscription some would really benefit in maintaining healthy relaxed hair.

I also think the sales would drop even more if there was a surge of women who benefited from this site about relaxing their hair because they would not be relaxing it every 4-6 weeks. Hmmm.

Last edited:

CenteredGirl

I am happy to hear that more sistas are embracing their naturalness. I think it's great when we take license to more choices in our hair care. I embraced being a natural 6 years ago and my hair has thrived.

I see others thrive with relaxed and texlaxed hair too. It all boils down to awesome hair care practices and natural based products that don't harm our hair.

Country gal

I decided to go natural because I didn't want to keep applying chemicals for a life time. My hair was always so thin with the perms. I love how full and thick is now. It is so healthy. I hear a lot of folks even on this board switching to natural hair. It is a beautiful thing. I don't hate on folks that choose to perm their hair. Do you. For me, it is natural all the way. My co-workers are so amazed at the different hairstyles I sport.

janeemat

No surprise about the decline in relaxer sales. I see lots of women with natural hair these days. And then there is stretching where you once got 10 relaxers a year but get only 2-4 now.

Forever in Bloom

Looks like everybody's jumping on the co-wash bandwagon :drunk: The shelves at stores are going to look pretty funny with just shampoos and no conditioners.

"The Mintel report predicted a 23 percent decline in sales of straighteners, or 'relaxers,' through 2011, while conditioner sales were expected to increase.

I think an increase in online sales will occur since many of these products are not available in stores. One company I buy from that makes USDA certified organic products won't allow its products to be sold wholesale elsewhere because they feel their products won't be represented well; that the staff won't take the time to learn how the product works or that wrong information will be given.

The words that make me buy from a company are "organic" (not just organic ingredients, which sometimes may consist of one organic ingredient and the rest are chemicals), "cruelty free", "handmade" and if possible, "vegan". I don't mind waiting 2 weeks for an order if the product is made fresh and has a shelf life. Albeit, I do own some products that do not fall under these categories, but since I am natural, I figure I can do a co-wash every other day and hope the not-so-good ingredients get washed away :rolleyes:

P.S. Other black-owned companies, such as Naani's Naturals and Long Lovely Locks weren't spotlighted, but also have quality products. But I do love me some Oyin and Qhemet Biologics. I still haven't tried My Honey Child yet though. Down PJ, down!! :wallbash:

BillyJay

This is GREAT NEWS!:drunk:
I love the fact that we are supporting one another and educating ourselves on proper haircare so much that it impacts the haircare industry!

mscocoface

Would have loved to seen mention of the hair boards which I believe are playing a major role particularly for women of color. I think that is one key element that is making a difference also.

GrowinLonger

Great article. It really is about time and I believe it's only just the beginning. As more and more women educate themselves and 'each one teach one' how to properly care for our hair (relaxed or natural), the multi billion dollar black haircare industry is going to be greatly affected to say the least.

Wait and see how many 'natural' products are going to be marketed from the mass manufacturers...

MizAvalon

Great article. It really is about time and I believe it's only just the beginning. As more and more women educate themselves and 'each one teach one' how to properly care for our hair (relaxed or natural), the multi billion dollar black haircare industry is going to be greatly affected to say the least.

Wait and see how many 'natural' products are going to be marketed from the mass manufacturers...

Ain't this the truth. All of the major companies will eventually have some sort of "natural" line. Of course, there will probably be very little that is "natural" about them.:ohwell:

Small grass roots companies are really thriving because of internet sales and word of mouth from hair boards. Those haircare giants better watch out!:yep:

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Would have loved to seen mention of the hair boards which I believe are playing a major role particularly for women of color. I think that is one key element that is making a difference also.

You are so right. I believe this to be true, too.

cclark1

I decided to go natural because I didn't want to keep applying chemicals for a life time. My hair was always so thin with the perms. I love how full and thick is now. It is so healthy. I hear a lot of folks even on this board switching to natural hair. It is a beautiful thing. I don't hate on folks that choose to perm their hair. Do you. For me, it is natural all the way. My co-workers are so amazed at the different hairstyles I sport.

I totally agree CountryGal! You do you and let me do me! I'm loving my natural hair. I just want long healthy hair. That's something I NEVER had when my hair was relaxed.

glamazon386

I didn't know they were based here in Baltimore. I am finding that more and more people I meet are natural or going natural.

SimpleKomplexity

Hmm it's just weird..I just dun see this decline yet! I guess in Mississippi we are slow to change. I know TWO girls at my university that are natural...all the rest...texlaxed? no! Relaxed? Yes!! I do like that other styles are emerging! Yay!!:grin: