A Hello and A Question from a Newcomer .....

legaldiva

First of all, I want to introduce myself .... I am very excited to be here. :) All of you guys have such great hair, super information and amusing stories!! I have been lurking since December and figure it's time to come out of the woodwork.

Anyways, I have just begun my hair care journey [well since January]. I am relaxed [10 - 12 week stretcher], using phony ponies to get me through. My hair is wildly uneven and grows very slowly IMO. I want to speed that up, but bigger than that ... I think relaxers and years of braids and weaves have left me with some type of alopecia on the edges. I have enough length for a decent ponytail, BUT the very edges of my hair on the sides are chewed up so bad it's a TWA :( and the bangs are so sparse and short. It's getting to the point of embarrassment now and I may have to resort to a sewnin again [which I don't want to do].

My question is how to you restore chewed up, thin edges? Trust me, I know I can search and I have, but I want some pinpointed answers. Specifically, has anyone used Minoval or MTG to restore thin, chewed up TWA length edges back to regular length ....

Any help would be appreciated, TIA!

I have successfully used Minoval in the past to regrow hair. My husband is Haitian and this is a staple among Haitian women. I am currently using it now to both regrow some lost edges and increase length. I started using it again a little over a week ago and am already seeing success.

Doremie13

Greetings and congrats to you on your journey to hair enlightenment!

I haven't tried the products you asked about, but I noticed that just by stretching and not using heat, my edges have filled in a bit. Good luck to you!!!

wadadligyal

Welcome!!!!!
I'm currently using MTG but not just on my edges but throughout my whole head and I am currently 5 weeks psot relaxer and I have new growth like crazt so it definitely aids in the growth process!!!! Many women say they can't stand the smell but it does not bother me at all!!!!!Good luck in regaining your edges and also good luck if you decide to get on the MTG bandwagon!!!!!!:D

legaldiva

Thanks guys ...

- chocomom, what's your minoval regimen? Do you use a few drops all over? Have you ever had barely there edges [or known anyone who has]?

- wadadligyal, um already on it!! except i've only used it for one week on my edges only daily. i used it once on my whole head after a wash and i though i was gonna die that night but by morning the smell subsided. what's your regimen?

- kiwi, how do you use castor? has this worked for you or someone you know?

- doremie - already stretching and using no heat, we'll see how it goes.

MeechUK

MeechUK
legaldiva said:
First of all, I want to introduce myself .... I am very excited to be here. :) All of you guys have such great hair, super information and amusing stories!! I have been lurking since December and figure it's time to come out of the woodwork.

Anyways, I have just begun my hair care journey [well since January]. I am relaxed [10 - 12 week stretcher], using phony ponies to get me through. My hair is wildly uneven and grows very slowly IMO. I want to speed that up, but bigger than that ... I think relaxers and years of braids and weaves have left me with some type of alopecia on the edges. I have enough length for a decent ponytail, BUT the very edges of my hair on the sides are chewed up so bad it's a TWA :( and the bangs are so sparse and short. It's getting to the point of embarrassment now and I may have to resort to a sewnin again [which I don't want to do].

My question is how to you restore chewed up, thin edges? Trust me, I know I can search and I have, but I want some pinpointed answers. Specifically, has anyone used Minoval or MTG to restore thin, chewed up TWA length edges back to regular length ....

Any help would be appreciated, TIA!

Hi Legaldiva,
there are lots of products on the market, some making miraculous claims! I have tried many with not much luck. What really works for me is patience, deep conditioning and scalp massages. If your edges are genetic you can thicken them slightly but you cannot substantially improve on genetics. There are some great homemade recipes on the Recipe Forum of this site.

If their condition is due to styling then you can recover them. Have you visited the Crown & Glory website. It offers good advice on combing and brushing your hair, among other great advice. Also do you sleep wearing a silk scarf or on a silk pillow case? These are very good for stopping your hair from drying out and helping to maintain moisture, also for keeping your edges intact.

MeechUK

legaldiva

Meech, I have both a satin scarf and pillow case. I have recently stopped tying the scarf down so tight, though. Although I like the look in the morning, I don't think it's too good for the thinning edges ...

Oh and what I do by way of scalp massages is I take a little bit of rosemary oil and rub it into my edges when I shampoo. I try to wash the edges almost every day {whereas I do full hair washings 2 - 3 times a week}.

Thanks! :)

Gryphyn

I just dip my finger in and rub it on my thin spots on my edges. These spots are hereditary, they weren't taken out by extensions, but relaxing made them much worse. They have thickened up a bit by using MTG and Castor Oil on them. Now they're not as noticable.

nissi

Try Surge 14. I recommended it to more than one person and it has worked. Matter of fact, my own hair edges ended up stronger and thicker than the rest of my hair!

legaldiva

thanks for the welcome and all the great advice. guess i will try castor oil, as well as mtg and minoval .... i've got nothing to lose.

aileenadq

Hi LD- Welcome!

I have awful edges, too, though I think it's hereditary. I'm using 2% Rogaine for Women 2x a day, and Miconazole Nitrate (anti-fungal cream found in Monistat-yes, I said Monistat!:lachen: ) 2x a day (applied sparingly). I'm totally off the MTG b/c the stuff STINKS no matter what I did or put it in. I hate smelling funky.

I also use Jane Carter Solutions scalp oil 2x a week after I rollerset It has Rosemary and other EOs that aid in growing. I use this all over, and the other stuff on my temples and hairline only.

So far, so good. I think my tgemples are filling in nicely.

Good luck and HHG!

A

Mestiza

to LHCF, legaldiva! :wave: I agree w/ the Castor Oil suggestion.

legaldiva

Thanks for the suggestions and welcomes!!:) I keep thanking you, but I really really appreciate any response ....

aileenadq, how long did it take for you to see visible results with Rogaine? The Minoval has the same percent minoxidil, so maybe it will have similar results.

Phoenix, how long did you take to see results with MTG?

Did anyone have really chewed up ends? Mine are chewed up badly and sparse. I am so scared it is damaged beyond repair :eek: