A new trim method

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
How many times have you sat in the stylist chair for a trim and wound up with a hair cut?

How many times have you said no more than 1/2 inch and they trim 2?

This is so discouraging!

A lot of times we may have breakage or splitting that is not just on the ends but some of the hairs further up the hair shaft are broken or split too!

Because the need arose, I came up with a simple and effective way to solve this problem. I call it the Roll Method of Hair Trimming.

My daughter's hair needed a trim and she had a little breakage going up the shaft. I did not want to trim her hair past the breakage area. It was just one spot in the back. Why should she have to lose 2-3 inches of length just because of one small area?

This is what I came up with:
Roll Method of Hair Trimming

Note: You may have to have someone you trust do this for you.

clap.gif
Go DSD, some thing I never thought of but will try in future if need be. That's excellent!!

DSD, What a great method! Thanks for sharing. I just had to get a trim...and I ended up getting more cut off then I wanted to. I never thought of this either.
smile.gif

Excellent idea. You know when I was young this lady had an awful way of doing this. She would section my hair in small sections, twist and then rub the hair from the bottom up (against the cuticle grain) to expose the shorter hairs and then clipped. This is far less damaging.

I'm going to try that this weekend! Thanks a bunch!

Awesome suggestion! Never considered that one but had been pondering earlier this week how to get the shorter hairs free of the damaged ends...then along came DSD to the rescue!!

Many thanks!

[ QUOTE ]
model_chick717 said:
This looks like a way to end up with really scraggly ends over time........just my 2 cents!
blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

....I agree because it seems like you wont get all of the damaged hair off..if it's the end of the hair, it just makes more sense to me to cut it a little above the length of the split to quickly and painlessly solve the problem. If it's somewhere further up the shaft, getting rid of that stray split piece wouldnt solve the problem..because i dont think you'll get the whole little piece of hair, even if it's invisible to your eye, and then it'll just continue splitting or break. Ok..that's what my brain came up with

[ QUOTE ]
model_chick717 said:
This looks like a way to end up with really scraggly ends over time........just my 2 cents!
blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

scratchchin.gif
Maybe... but it seems similar to that other method, where you take a section of hair and twist it all around, then clip off all the little hairs that are sticking out... I've never really understood the purpose of doing that... does anybody know??
confused.gif
Is it to get rid of split ends???

Thanks Ladies!

And for the skeptics, this is just for ladies who are trying to grow their hair longer and mainly wear protective styles. You would eventually have to even it up at some points but not necessarily all at once using this method!

Lindy, in my case, my daughter had an area of hair in the back where the breakage was 2 or 3 inches farther up than the rest of the ends. Doing this saved her from having to get those 2 or 3 inches cut off completey. I would have had to cut her hair even all around as they do at the salon. And since she mostly wears ponytails and braids there is no need at this point to even up her hair. I was happy, she was happy! And as you can see, I am living proof that hair can even up without trimming.

HTH

Your method would be okay but the only thing is that all the hairs on anyone's head are not exactly the same length. Some may be as much as two to three inches longer because of previous breakage. If it is done the way you specify you could in fact be cutting the very end of a healthy piece of hair. One way to identify split ends is that they have a frizzy look about them. First straighten the hair with a blow dryer or hot comb if you wish, then section the hair in one inch sections. Twist the section all the way to the end. Hold the section up to the light. Any hairs that you see sticking up are split ends. Trim them with a very sharp pair of small hair cutting scissors. Be careful to avoid going too close to the hair that lies flat. This will take a long time. It takes me a good hour or so to do it. I usually do this two weeks in a row every three months. It works for me. I notice after doing this, I will do this again on the third week and I don't see any hairs sticking out. If you cut the split ends off and keep them very moisturized and protected, you don't have to trim for another three months.

I am not sure if you understood what I was illustrating. The reason for doing this method is the very reason you stated: "All the hairs on anyone's head are not exactly the same length". This way you would be able to locate the splits on all parts of the hair section and trim accordingly including the ends.

I've never trimmed my own hair before, but if I decide to do so, this is the method I'll use. Thanks DSD!

I think it's a great idea, DSD
smile.gif
And I think it would be very effective at getting the split ends all over your head without layering the hair or having to get a lot of healthy length cut off
up.gif

[ QUOTE ]
miss_brown said:
smile.gif
And I think it would be very effective at getting the split ends all over your head without layering the hair or having to get a lot of healthy length cut off
up.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree
smile.gif

Thanks DSD

Thanks everyone!
smile.gif
for the ladies who do decide to try this let me know how it turns out. My daughter's hair looks excellent after trimming her hair in this manner.

Good Luck!

[ QUOTE ]
miss_brown said:
smile.gif
up.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree, i think this a great idea to get a trouble spot or two trimmed, without having to cut the rest of your hair, it can always be evened out later after the damage part is healthy from the spot trimming.

[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:
[ QUOTE ]
miss_brown said:
smile.gif
up.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree, i think this a great idea to get a trouble spot or two trimmed, without having to cut the rest of your hair, it can always be evened out later after the damage part is healthy from the spot trimming.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the method to my madness!
smile.gif

Back