A 'Newbie': My Journey to Healthy Hair..Now a Long-term transitioner :)

kittikat24

A 'Newbie': My Journey to Healthy Hair..Now a Long-term transitioner *PICS*

Hello Ladies,

I've been on this journey for a while, but I wanted to finally and OFFICIALLY join! I'm long term transitioning (aka desperately holding on to my texlaxed ends :rolleyes:) So I thought I'd share w/ you my journey thus far:

My hair in 2006:

My hair was fried because of years spent experimenting w/ my curling iron:nono:
Like many of y'all, I searched online for a way to 'grow' my hair...after stumbling across a few forums and sites, I joined a few challenges & was encouraged to start my journey.

2007: Gaining thickness!

I learned about protective styling, stretching relaxers and using heat less. This contributed to thicker hair.

2008: My texlaxed hair/reaching APL

When I reached APL, I just knew I could grow my hair to longer lengths!
However, my last texlax was in Feb.2009, and I challenged myself to stretch for a year (and went on hyh hiatus)...well, I fell in love with my curls and decided to transition!

July 2010: 1.5 years post!

Shrrrinnkagge!
Due to trims and a bit of breakage:ohwell: I haven't kept all my length, but some is still there! All year I've been direct heat free, and COMB free:grin: I just finger-comb.
~​

I have super simplified my regimen. For the past few months, I've only been using 3 Products:grin:
*Aussie Moist Conditioner-My LIFE saver. I use it to co-wash, moisturise or apply it in the Kinky Curly Custard method (on wet hair to airdry= defined curls)
*Organic Aloe Vera gel--I use this in place of regular gel, and it works.
*Cold-pressed Castor oil:yep:

Bantu Knot out=Big hair!

This is my favorite style! When I take my bantu knots out, I put my hair in a banana clip, fluff and go! I twist my edges because NUTHIN will tame
those frizzies :blush: and it's worked out as a great alternative.
~​

Since its been so long since I've used direct heat, I'm not quite sure how long my hair is (flat ironed). But from what I see after the shower, it's either BSL or a little past. As far as transitioning, I'm in it for the long haul! I've been really encouraged by the Transitioning threads on here, and thought I'd peek in and join the club:grin:

Here's my fotki:
www.fotki.com/kittikat24

Last edited:

soon2bsl

Re: A 'Newbie': My Journey to Healthy Hair..Now a Long-term transitioner *PICS*

Welcome and you have awesome progress!! KUTGW and best wishes on your transition!! :)

hopeful

Wow, what a great post! I love reading stories like yours. Your hair is gorgeous and has come a long way. Keep up the good work and good luck with your transition.

che1219

You are doing a great job, keep up the good work. Your hair is beautiful, good luck with your transition.

Moniquenuss

I remember you from BHM I loved your hair and you were my inspiration! I haven't seen you in a while I'm glad your hair is doing well. I looks great!