A newbie with a question

SouthernStunner

My 13yr old Men
What's the difference between a conditioner and a deep conditioner? Is it just the amount of time u keep it in your hair or are there special conditioners that are deep conditioners??????:spinning:

Just a little confused.
TIA Karlap

I think the diffrence is regular conditioners just coat the hair strands and may provide slip but deep conditioners actually penetrate the hair strands. Im sure a true expert will be in the thread soon.:grin:

ETA: I know that there are some dc's that you can keep on as little as 2-5 minutes too and then rinse out. From what I understand, you can keep a regular or sheapie cond. on for a while but it still will not penetrate the way a dc will.

HTH!

Last edited:
A regular rinse-out conditioner usually doesn't have the ingredients that would allow it to penetrate the hair shaft where as a deep conditioner would, hence the reason why you're usually advised to leave it on for at least 15 minutes so it really gets a chance to penetrate.

In my experience, you could use a rinse-out conditioner as long as a DC, and it wouldn't have a different effect than if you were going to use it for 5 minutes.

However, I do believe some conditioners can be used as DC's or quick rinse-outs and usually state so.

Hope this helps!

I think the diffrence is regular conditioners just coat the hair strands and may provide slip but deep conditioners actually penetrate the hair strands.

That's it! :yep:

A good thing to remember is that quickie conditioners will say to leave on for 1-3 minutes while a deep conditioner will say to leave on for 10 minutes or more

i agree with the above its also my understanding that if a product says to leave on your hair more than 10 minutes its a real deep conditioner

Last edited:
Thank you all for replying so fast! Can I use Kera Care as a deep conditioner? Can I use my Nioxin as a regular conditioner cause it says leave on hair 1-3? I am really trying to create a regimne for myself.

one last question...... Its a friday night and all the hair divas are online and not out with your SO?????? You guys are just as bad me!:lachen:

Back