a possible alternative 4 'hopeless' rollersetters

Re: a possible alternative 4 \'hopeless\' rollersetters

If you don't want to put any stress on your hair while its wet, you could try it on dry hair. Re-wet each ponytail with leave-in or water and then roll each section with however many rollers you want. It gives the same effect, but the hair secured by the ponytail will already be dry, which cuts down on drying time and it will be less stressful on your hair if that is a concern.

That might help some people who are trying to avoid heat, but don't know what to do in between regular wet sets and washes.

yes mindy, you can ponytail when damp and then WET the ends only (the bit you are gonna roll) for a wet set effect.

I have been trying this for the last couple of days after my daily CO washes and I like it. My hair is not as curly as when I attempt to wet set my hair w/o the rubber bands. I have to say this has really worked out.

i tried this last night with dry hair and hindu fast set. it came out very nice. i can't wait to try it when i wash my hair.

it's like a fast set lotion for dry hair. like miss cool 5 minute fast set (which has been discontinued).

This sounds like a good idea. I think I might try this when I have some free hair time.

i tried it on wet hair last night....it didn't come out so cute. however, both times, i used the flexi-rods. i'm going to try wet again with the yellow and pink rollers.

Yes please let us know how it turns out witht he yellow and pink rollers. I am truly loving it. Have been getting looks for my hair curled all week

Maybe doing a doobie will help get rid of the crimp lines and blend the hairs below and above the bands (for those who don't want the very curly look)...Is there a thread on doobies for short hair somewhere - I haven't been able to do one without ruining all my curls
wallbash.gif

I've been using this ponytail method since I first read this thread a few months ago and I love it! It probably isn't necessary to do for my bun styles but I do it anyway. My roots airdry straighter, especially important to me as I approach relaxer time, and my hair looks and feels sleeker with lots of body.

thanks! I can't rollerset to save my soul! this is an easy alternative. Thanks!

[ QUOTE ]
kytrona said:
Maybe doing a doobie will help get rid of the crimp lines and blend the hairs below and above the bands (for those who don't want the very curly look)...Is there a thread on doobies for short hair somewhere - I haven't been able to do one without ruining all my curls
wallbash.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. With this ponytail set however I dont' get a lot of curls but bounce so I haven't tried doing a doobie, but if you find out how to do one with short hair please let me know.
grin.gif

so, do you just wrap your hair at night? or do you reroll it.

funny thing about my not-so-cute hair yesterday....i got tons of compliments from my coworkers!
confused.gif

I reroll my hair every night.

OF- DD where did you get your lady that is on your avaitor. She is really cute.

[ QUOTE ]
dstdiva said:
funny thing about my not-so-cute hair yesterday....i got tons of compliments from my coworkers!
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You may want to duplicate whatever you did to get all those compliments! Sometimes by "accident" we really do stumble upon something wonderful with our hair.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
dstdiva said:
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You may want to duplicate whatever you did to get all those compliments! Sometimes by "accident" we really do stumble upon something wonderful with our hair.
smile.gif

clap.gif
clap.gif
GOOD LOOKING OUT, PANDORA!!! I tried this method last night. I stopped at Wal-Mart after work yesterday and bought the Suave Coconut Conditioner ($.96!) and got some small Goody Ouchless Elastics and proceeded to make a night of it. I had to take out my month-old cornrows (onlt took 30 mins.) and then combed my ALREADY LARGE afro into a LARGER one. Then I jumped in the shower and conditioned washed my hair w/ the Suave (almost as good as my many Dominican conditioners). After I let it air-dry for about 10 minutes, I added the Salerm 21 (w/ a drop of Kemi-oyl) and put my hair into about 10-12 ponytails (as you said). Then I rolled them up w/ the magnetic (those are the hard plastic ones w/ the clamp over them, right?)rollers and end papers. I sat under a warm dryer for about 10-15 minutes and went to sleep.
sleeping.gif
sleeping.gif
THAT WAS LAST NIGHT!

THIS MORNING:......OH MY GOD!!!
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
My hair is LARGE, FULL OF BODY, and SO SOFT! (I am 9.5 weeks post relaxer!!!) And I don't have lots of little obnoxious curls, but my hair genuinely looks like the BOMB!!!
clap.gif
I am so happy because I also am a HOPELESS ROLLERSETTER and I was able to do this w/ the same results! And I didn't get any noticeable crimps in my hair where the elastics were because mainly, that's where my new growth is anyway and the Salerm makes it alittle wavy and softer. Also, I did roll the hair all the way up to the elastics.

Pandora, a BIG SHOUT OUT TO YOU for this method!!!
kisses.gif
kisses.gif
I feel like my hair looks so good and this was so easy that I'm not going to try to hunt as hard as I have been for a Dominican stylist in my area (though I know the looks are entirely different). I feel like JenniferMD today because I'm sporting one of her WORLD FAMOUS UP-DO's!
grin.gif
grin.gif
If I can ever get of this disease that I have ("PRODUCT JUNKIE-ISM,...and I've got it bad!!
ill.gif
ill.gif
), I can save some money and get that digital camera that I'd planned on getting,....BEFORE the "illness" hit (thanks alot, LHCF!). Anyway ladies,...if you haven't tried this method,....TRY IT TONIGHT! It didn't take me long at all! Thanks Pandora!
clap.gif
kisses.gif
dance7.gif
party2.gif
bouncy.gif
trampoline.gif
band2.gif

Bollyhair....YOU GO GIRL!
bouncy.gif
I'm glad Pandora's method worked for you! I wanna see some pics now.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Pandora said:
i am also hopeless at the conventional way of rollersetting. this is how i normally rollerset my hair.

i make 8-10 ponytails all over my head. prior to that i have shampooed and conditioned my hair and let it airdry to damp. than i apply my leave ins and moisturisers. i get small ponytail bands (covered with cloth and soaked in some oil to prevent dryness and breakage at the point of contact with the hair) and make my 8-10 ponytails all over my head, ensuring each hair section is combed smooth, with the roots damp and straight (you may use WGO, coconut oil or Carolyn's HHIAB to achieve this).i then mix up pantene smooth and sleek with some oils (coconut oil is my fave) and apply it to the length of each section, and combing it with a small toothed comb before roller setting each ponytailed ends.of course, any setting lotion will do as well.

i let it airdry overnite and by morning my hair was nice and curly with bounce and movement. my roots are also soft and reasonably straight.

i know many of us have problems with rollersetting. i have found this to be the easiest way of doing it.

i hope the instructions are clear....

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks so much for the info, Pandora!!!!!
My rollersets are pathetic. I'm DEFINITELY going to try this new method!

I tried this yesterday and I must say it came out really well, for me to have done it
wink.gif
. I divided my hair into 6 sections and used large rollers and my hair came out pretty straight. My only problems were a- I got impatient after 3 hours of drying so some sections were still wet and subsequently poofed up. b- I used some gross setting lotion that made my hair to hard, I think next time I'll just use some oils and see what happens. c- I have 7 weeks of newgrowth so my hair still looks big.

[ QUOTE ]
canadiana said:
[ QUOTE ]
Pandora said:
i am also hopeless at the conventional way of rollersetting. this is how i normally rollerset my hair.

i make 8-10 ponytails all over my head. prior to that i have shampooed and conditioned my hair and let it airdry to damp. than i apply my leave ins and moisturisers. i get small ponytail bands (covered with cloth and soaked in some oil to prevent dryness and breakage at the point of contact with the hair) and make my 8-10 ponytails all over my head, ensuring each hair section is combed smooth, with the roots damp and straight (you may use WGO, coconut oil or Carolyn's HHIAB to achieve this).i then mix up pantene smooth and sleek with some oils (coconut oil is my fave) and apply it to the length of each section, and combing it with a small toothed comb before roller setting each ponytailed ends.of course, any setting lotion will do as well.

i let it airdry overnite and by morning my hair was nice and curly with bounce and movement. my roots are also soft and reasonably straight.

i know many of us have problems with rollersetting. i have found this to be the easiest way of doing it.

i hope the instructions are clear....

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks so much for the info, Pandora!!!!!
My rollersets are pathetic. I'm DEFINITELY going to try this new method!

[/ QUOTE ]

you are welcome!!! let us know how it goes

[ QUOTE ]
bollyhair said:
clap.gif
clap.gif
GOOD LOOKING OUT, PANDORA!!! I tried this method last night. I stopped at Wal-Mart after work yesterday and bought the Suave Coconut Conditioner ($.96!) and got some small Goody Ouchless Elastics and proceeded to make a night of it. I had to take out my month-old cornrows (onlt took 30 mins.) and then combed my ALREADY LARGE afro into a LARGER one. Then I jumped in the shower and conditioned washed my hair w/ the Suave (almost as good as my many Dominican conditioners). After I let it air-dry for about 10 minutes, I added the Salerm 21 (w/ a drop of Kemi-oyl) and put my hair into about 10-12 ponytails (as you said). Then I rolled them up w/ the magnetic (those are the hard plastic ones w/ the clamp over them, right?)rollers and end papers. I sat under a warm dryer for about 10-15 minutes and went to sleep.
sleeping.gif
sleeping.gif
THAT WAS LAST NIGHT!

THIS MORNING:......OH MY GOD!!!
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
My hair is LARGE, FULL OF BODY, and SO SOFT! (I am 9.5 weeks post relaxer!!!) And I don't have lots of little obnoxious curls, but my hair genuinely looks like the BOMB!!!
clap.gif
I am so happy because I also am a HOPELESS ROLLERSETTER and I was able to do this w/ the same results! And I didn't get any noticeable crimps in my hair where the elastics were because mainly, that's where my new growth is anyway and the Salerm makes it alittle wavy and softer. Also, I did roll the hair all the way up to the elastics.

Pandora, a BIG SHOUT OUT TO YOU for this method!!!
kisses.gif
kisses.gif
I feel like my hair looks so good and this was so easy that I'm not going to try to hunt as hard as I have been for a Dominican stylist in my area (though I know the looks are entirely different). I feel like JenniferMD today because I'm sporting one of her WORLD FAMOUS UP-DO's!
grin.gif
grin.gif
If I can ever get of this disease that I have ("PRODUCT JUNKIE-ISM,...and I've got it bad!!
ill.gif
ill.gif
), I can save some money and get that digital camera that I'd planned on getting,....BEFORE the "illness" hit (thanks alot, LHCF!). Anyway ladies,...if you haven't tried this method,....TRY IT TONIGHT! It didn't take me long at all! Thanks Pandora!
clap.gif
kisses.gif
dance7.gif
party2.gif
bouncy.gif
trampoline.gif
band2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

wow!! i tae it you are happy then?:D
laugh.gif

how overwhelming. thanks a lot. i am so happy for you!!!
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

bumping for others who may want to try this!!

Back