A Question About Those 30in Weaves

Gr8ness83

I was just wondering why there is such animosity about women who wear 30" + weaves? If I see someone with a 30" silky, Brazilian textured weave with their 4c/z leave out or a closure that makes it look like they are wearing hats then I can understand, but the same holds true for women with short wiggy looking weaves. However if it is done nice and believably then what is the issue? We are all trying to grow our hair long so if someone wants to "fake it til they make it" then whats the issue? I don't hear anyone saying anything about the braids or the twists that go down to these womens behinds so why is so much being said about the weaves? Generally, if you were to see a Black woman with her natural hair down to her butt (natural meaning she grew it herself, it can be relaxed or chemical free), she is like a unicorn and she becomes an inspiration for most and you ask all of the pertinent info, reggie, product use, vitamins, family history of long hair, how long she has been growing it, etc... but if it were a weave then she's looked down upon...Why is that? I don't see much difference in a short weave or a long weave. As long as it is done right and it looks natural then who cares?

It's just another thing to make fun of black women about.

The reason why braids and twists are okay is because it's an appropriate "ethnic" hairstyle. We are not hating ourselves and wanting to be another race in these styles. However, when we adorn our Brazilian silkies and Burmese waves, we are clearly and confidently loathing our identity.

It's just another thing to make fun of black women about.

The reason why braids and twists are okay is because it's an appropriate "ethnic" hairstyle. We are not hating ourselves and wanting to be another race in these styles. However, when we adorn our Brazilian silkies and Burmese waves, we are clearly and confidently loathing our identity.

I see what you are saying... Riddle me this then, what about those black women who grow their hair long and keep it straight, be it through a relaxer, keratin treatment or thermally? Do you think it is considered self loathing when they do that? We have hair that is the most versatile so I feel that it is just a way of expressing ourselves and enjoying that our hair is capable of so many different styles but since our hair generally does not grow in a straight, flowing texture, do you think it is seen as confidently self loathing our identity?

I don't mind them...heyyyyyyy do you boo.

I don't mind them either, I just don't like the bad, helmet looking ones. I also don't like when they fling it and flip it every 2 seconds. I don't like when women do that with their REAL hair either though. But you best believe that when I grow my hair to my arse then I'll be flipping it too, then others can talk about how much I annoy them...:lachen::lol::lachen::lol::lachen:

Personally, I just do not like fake hair for MYSELF. I have an issue with having someone else's hair on my head. It is a spiritual thing for me.

I don't have any animosity towards weave-wearers but it is the fact that every one has the same hairstyle. No one gets SL, APL, BSL or heck even MBL any more! It's just straight 26" parted down the middle. Often times it overwhelms their face. Other times it is just not believable. And the rest it is poorly blended and looks like the girlfriend of a Sumo wrestler. Regardless of race very few women are born with the equivalent of 20 packs of hair on their heads, LOL!

I saw a thread this week with Keyshia Cole and she looked like she got paid for her presence in hair packs. I mean, just hair, upon hair, upon hair. It looked gross!

To each her own. :)

I see what you are saying... Riddle me this then, what about those black women who grow their hair long and keep it straight, be it through a relaxer, keratin treatment or thermally? Do you think it is considered self loathing when they do that? We have hair that is the most versatile so I feel that it is just a way of expressing ourselves and enjoying that our hair is capable of so many different styles but since our hair generally does not grow in a straight, flowing texture, do you think it is seen as confidently self loathing our identity?

I could have misinterpreted what was saying, but I think her statement was what people in general think about 30+ inch weaves. They look at women with long healthy permed hair the same way as well. The large array of different hair types that black people have is seen as not being able to become longer than SL. Whether it's weave or it's not does not mean anything. What matters is whether it looks nice and cared for. Honestly weave needs TLC just like the hair that grows from our scalps. It does not keep looking silky by osmosis.

I hardly see anyone with those long weaves whose hair looks nice. Most are horribly done and that ia what i take iasue with. I personally dont inderstand the Rapunzel hairweave craze but whatever makes a person happy

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy Note 2

The difference is that the hair is growing out of their head, and therefore looks natural no matter how they style it, and also, it doesn't matter how "straight" it is made to look, it still looks like Afro-textured, straightened hair, as opposed to silky-straight weave that doesn't even match the wearer's roots. I relax my hair, but even relaxed it does not look like weave hair, nor would I want it to, since to process my hair to that level of straightness would not allow it to get to 30" of length. And riddle me this; how are we celebrating our hair's versatility and capacity for so many different styles if we have to rely on other people's hair to achieve them? Sounds like a contradiction to me. :ohwell:

I've seen some decent looking 30 inches before. However it just seems unprofessional. Usually women with real whip length hair wear it up most of the time or is some type of contained style. But when its a weave its down 100% of the time. Even if it was real I would think it was unprofessional. That's great for play time though.

Then there is the whole stereotype of black women have super short hair under their weaves. So to see a woman with fantasy lengths while assuming she is barely shoulder length underneath it just seems almost comical. Especially when they're showing it off like its an accomplishment.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using LHCF

I don't mind them either, I just don't like the bad, helmet looking ones. I also don't like when they fling it and flip it every 2 seconds. I don't like when women do that with their REAL hair either though. But you best believe that when I grow my hair to my arse then I'll be flipping it too, then others can talk about how much I annoy them...:lachen::lol::lachen::lol::lachen:

Why don't you like when they fling and flip it every 2 seconds? Your reasoning may answer your question.

I am not comfortable with weaves on myself, but I don't have any thoughts beyond that. I don't think black women that wear weaves want to be white. I think that is ridiculous notion.

If you like it, I love it.

30 inches of hair is too much for me though. My hair is 17/18 inches and it gets caught in everything. 30 inches? I probably snatch myself bald LOL!

I've seen some decent looking 30 inches before. However it just seems unprofessional. Usually women with real whip length hair wear it up most of the time or is some type of contained style. But when its a weave its down 100% of the time. Even if it was real I would think it was unprofessional. That's great for play time though.

Then there is the whole stereotype of black women have super short hair under their weaves. So to see a woman with fantasy lengths while assuming she is barely shoulder length underneath it just seems almost comical. Especially when they're showing it off like its an accomplishment.

So if you saw me at work with my real almost HL hair worn straight down my back, you would think it was unprofessional?

30 inches is a bit much to me---and i havent seen that irl

i wear weaves and also have long natural hair....

i dont care either way--nor am i trying to convince anyone that my weave is real...or pass it on as my hair---i do get compliments all the time and ppl often ask hey lux where do you get your hair

i dont care what ppl do to their hair--just dont be talking about someone elses hair and ya hair is jacked up---thats my only qualm

The key is, how do they know it is a weave? Most people stare at any type of false hair. Make it look as realistic as possible and offer no revelations.

So if you saw me at work with my real almost HL hair worn straight down my back, you would think it was unprofessional?

No. Long hair is beautiful and I myself am in a professional field and hope to have similar hair one day.

What I meant is that all of the Whip length and beyond professional women I know keep their hair contained half of the time. The women I know who wear fantasy weaves always wear it straight down all of the time and it seems cumbersome. They move in very exaggerated ways to keep the hair out of the way during simple tasks. I dont know if they aren't use to the length or if the packs are just too heavy but the women I know lose a certain amount of elegance in their movement when they start sewing in uber lengths. The long haired women I know do not move in such a dramatic way. This gives fantasy weaves a different look and feel than natural long hair.

The key is, how do they know it is a weave? Most people stare at any type of false hair. Make it look as realistic as possible and offer no revelations.
Most of the weaves I see are very obvious. I don't think people care as much about appearing realistic as they once did. They just want the style.

Back