AA owned Beauty Supply Boutique for Us!

sashaa

Ok ladies. I think I am nearing my dream of entreprenuership! I am thinking of my first business being a Beauty Supply Boutique. I am so sick and tired of the Asians having it sold up trying to tell us about our HAIR and not even knowing what knots are in the syn lacewigs they sell! So...

Here are some things I have been thinking about and of course where else to share my thoughts for feedback but with my LHCF familia

So...What if you went into an African American owned beauty supply store that had a very nice, upscale looking storefront and decor to find beautiful hair pieces without namebrands that were custom made and styled- human and synthetic?

Would you be turned off quickly by not seeing some of the normal names we are used to such as: outre, bobbi boss, equal freetress, milkyway, sensationnel, etc?

How comfortable would you be to purchase a lacewig to then have it attached by a hairstylist in the store after you've shopped? Would you mind if it were attached in the open versus in a private room? How about if it were a private section of the store with glass windows that allowed those waiting to see the attachment process take place?

I am looking to offer a variety of products: human and synthetic hair wigs and wefts, skin and hair care products featuring sulphate free poos, various hair butters, and all natural product sections, denman brushes :yep: and more. I am also thinking about accessories such as jewelry, purses, shoes, and makeup. Makeup for sure- still debating on the other accessories.

Let me know your thoughts...thanks!!

Ok ladies. I think I am nearing my dream of entreprenuership! I am thinking of my first business being a Beauty Supply Boutique. I am so sick and tired of the Asians having it sold up trying to tell us about our HAIR and not even knowing what knots are in the syn lacewigs they sell! So...

Here are some things I have been thinking about and of course where else to share my thoughts for feedback but with my LHCF familia

So...What if you went into an African American owned beauty supply store that had a very nice, upscale looking storefront and decor to find beautiful hair pieces without namebrands that were custom made and styled- human and synthetic?

Would you be turned off quickly by not seeing some of the normal names we are used to such as: outre, bobbi boss, equal freetress, milkyway, sensationnel, etc?

How comfortable would you be to purchase a lacewig to then have it attached by a hairstylist in the store after you've shopped? Would you mind if it were attached in the open versus in a private room? How about if it were a private section of the store with glass windows that allowed those waiting to see the attachment process take place?

I am looking to offer a variety of products: human and synthetic hair wigs and wefts, skin and hair care products featuring sulphate free poos, various hair butters, and all natural product sections, denman brushes :yep: and more. I am also thinking about accessories such as jewelry, purses, shoes, and makeup. Makeup for sure- still debating on the other accessories.

Let me know your thoughts...thanks!!

I love this idea and I'm sure many women would love it too. I've been in a beauty store in NY where they cut the wig for me right there and fit Lace fronts, and no one minded that it was in the open. I wouldn't mind either. If you don't rely on products usually distributed to Koreans, I think you have a chance for sticking your foot in the door of the AA beauty industry. Please keep us updated, as I am also interested in entrepreneurship.

Junebug D

You totally stole my idea. Seriously, I've had this same thought for a WHILE. :grin: I think it's a fantastic idea, of course. ;)

brownelovely

This is a great idea...it really is but the Korean market is brutal when it comes to black hair care. Go figure right?

You could totally change the market by doing this so when you go in...give it your all. There are so many that try to do this but put out crappy products, have little to no promotions, or overprice their items. One thing I would suggest doing in the process is getting yourself in the conventions that all the "other" vendors go to about black hair care. If you can stay in the same lane and get at least a step ahead they can't touch you.

Good luck...this is a wonderful idea.

princessnad

Great idea... I like buying from AA owned establishments.

I don't know about the whole wig attachment in open thing though

mzsophisticated26

Great idea, I would not be turned off because most of the name brands are not all that good anyway. I would love to have a one stop shop.

sashaa

Great feedback ladies. So does everybody pretty much feel the same, that the lack of "normal" brands is not a turnoff? Sounds like there is a consensus on that...

Kranbery

That sounds great!!! I like the idea of having the hair installed once it has been bought, but I think I might want it done in a private area. Or if you made the private and public viewing a choice, that would be great customer service. I am not sure about all of the accessories like shoes and purses, but make-up and hair products are a really good idea. Good luck to you!

mscocoface

Okay you are new to the group so I am going to give you a pass on teasing us like this.

Not sure what part of the country you are from, just name the major city you are in or near and that will be good enough.......Waiting for that answer.......

Okay now, if I knew there was an AA BSS in my area I would definitely frequent it particularly if she would be so inclined to make special orders or place products in her store when she knows that people are asking for it.

THAT would be a total fantasy come true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SouthernStunner

My 13yr old Men
This has actually been on my mind for awhile now. I also thought of going to school to be a beautician my hubby suggested that I do both. Here is his idea. I have a year left to finish my degree in business (general). Then I should go straight into beauty school while working on my business plan. When I finish school we should be moving back to the USA. His tought is my knowledge of hair from school along with the re-education I get from LHCF topped with my business degree is a winner.

Now set my master plan in motion (insert evil laugh here)

Amerie123

Girl, that sounds like a great idea!!!! I can maybe have one of my three shops near your boutique so that the clients can go from you to me.. LOL.. a lot of companies work hand-n-hand like that. I plan on opening up my own business myself, so I'd say go for it!!! I'll shop there.
I'm currently in school to finish my bachelors in business, then I plan to work in a salon for like 2yrs (for experience), and then off to opening my three salons (hopefully in three different cities). The military is going to help me pay for it too.. OOoooh, I cant wait..

finickyone

I love it! I would shop here just because you are black owned. I'm sick of shopping at some of these disrespectful Asian shops who make you feel that they are doing me a favor. BUMP that! I am boycotting quite a few because where I live, there is one on every corner. The discounts are never consistent & to charge $9.99 for Elasta QP mango butter & find it elsewhere for $5.99 ticks me off. Whew, sorry, I got on a rant, but I think your ideas are fabulous & it wouldn't bother me one bit not to see some brands that I am accustomed to seeing. There is a BSS in VA that will style your human & synthetic wigs. Everyone loves her & she gets great business.

Please, please, please know something about the products that you will be selling. This is another huge pet peeve of mine. Personally, I don't pay attention to the shoes or clothes I see in some BSS. It just seems that its too much going on & I am only there to purchase hair or hair products, so that's where my focus is.

beebstt

sounds like a great idea. just some things to keep in mind:

-location location location. it does matter where your store is. make sure you pick a visible location and that you are at a location that where you will have a client base.
-finances. beyond your business plan, make sure your business makes financial sense. you want to be able to expand and not have to take out further loans. you want to be able to open other branches.

but your services sound like a dream. personally however i dont know if i want my hair doen out in the open, a closed off, maybe a glassed off sections sounds good. maybe put it somewhere in the back of the store. and make sure the people who work for you and help customers can drop knowledge and give good judgement