About Reactive and Non-Reactive Hair Care Products

Sianna

I am fairly new, not only to this forum, but also to the healthy hair care lifestyle in general. So, I just want to say right now that if similar subject matter has already been discussed, I am unaware of it. I am also unaware of the terms "Reactives" and "Non-Reacives" being used in relation to hair care products.

I made it up.

Hopefully this information will be helpful to newbies and veterans alike.

First the non-reactives. Non-reactive products (from my experience) are the leave-in products that we use for the health of our hair. They are not normally used for styling. For example, oils, water/glycerin mixtures, and some juice-like products. CFCG and Sta Sof Fro are just a couple that I know of.

Reactive products are products are often great products for creating definition, but must be used with caution because of the visible residue they can leave in your hair, whether used alone or when combined with other products. Reactives include products such as hair gels, Cantu Shea butter leave in conditioner, and most other conditioners I've used for WNGs.

The reason I have dubbed certain products to be "reactive" is because I have to be mindful of what I put in my hair in conjunction with these products. For example, I normally don't normally use regular conditioner as a moisturizer anymore because it is a reactive. This is because I cannot put hair gel in my hair if conditioner is in it. If I do, I will be left with gross little clumps of white stuff that NEEDS to be washed out.

Other products such as CFCG are non-reactives, because I can put pretty much anything I want in my hair in conjunction with this product, and not get white little clumps in my hair.

I hope this is all making sense! If not please feel free to ask any questions you like.

ETA: In short, reactive products are the ones that you cannot mix with just anything because it will have an unfavorable reaction; normally in the form of white little clumps that DO NOT fade away, even as the hair is allowed to dry.

Non-reactive products are products that can be used with most of your other products and not leave the white clumps. It may be white in the beginning, but as it dries there will be no visible residue.

The purpose of me starting this thread is because I wanted to compile a list of reactive, and non-reactive hair care and styling products.

So please list yours!

Here's mine.

Reactives

• Conditioner
  • Hair gels
  • Cantu Shea butter leave-in conditioner
  • Shea Butter
Non-reactives

• CFCG
  • Oils
  • Crisco (vegetable shortening)
  • Water/glycerin products (both home made and store bought)
There are probably others that I am forgetting, but I'm at work right now and unable to be as thorough as I'd like. I'll add more as soon as I can.

Last edited:
hmmm interesting

i dont know if this is also dependent on the iduvidual too

products I have found to be reactive are

HH hello hydration - if I use this even to cowash and I dont get every bit of it out, it will cause white balls if I put and oil, butter or gel in my hair after

Most oils for me are also reactive - in the short term because when mixed with a gel, everything will turn whicte, but my hair absorbs it within 15 mins or so

Most oils for me are also reactive - in the short term because when mixed with a gel, everything will turn whicte, but my hair absorbs it within 15 mins or so

This is a very good point! But, when I am talking about reactives, I don't mean products that are initially white and eventually absorb as they dry. I am talking about products that leave those gross little white balls in your hair and that MUST be washed out. These are the products that, even when dry, will leave visible residue and "crap" in your hair.

Ive never experienced anything like nasty white balls or whatever else but I also do not use styling products. I rarely use gel and it's only to slick back a pony if I don't have time for the scarf method.

Back