Adding oil AND conditioner to relaxer

Isis33

So, I've read a few posts about people adding oil to their relaxer with good results. But has anybody ever added oil AND conditioner to their relaxer? If so, how much did you add? Was it equal amounts?

since my scalp is super sensitive, I am thinking of adding two tables spoons of olive oil mixed with coconut oil and two table spoons of a moisturising conditioner (such as Moroccan argon oil conditioner). I don't mind if it is left under processed, it doesn't need to be bone straight, just manageable. The relaxer I use is a kiddies no lye relaxer and I have 4b/4c type hair (I think, lol!).

Do you think I would be adding too many things to the mixture? Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

sweetome1

I personally only add oil to my relaxer and that is because I don't want to take the chance of adding a conditioner that is full of multiple compounds with multiple pH's causing various chemical reactions and changing the the relaxer's chemistry. Oil doesn't have a pH so it does not affect the relaxer chemically speaking. It's main purpose is dilution. If you want to add conditioner, I would of course do a strand test first before putting it on your whole head.

I solely add about 1 ounce of EVOO.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I believe EnExitStageLeft also adds conditioner.

I plan on following her lead when I touch-up in 12 weeks... so if she adds conditioner + oil.. so will I.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Oil is one thing. Conditioners may mess up the pH. I would definitely research that. In too scared to add anything so to avoid scalp burns I use mink oil and pre section my hair so make application faster.

Please excuse my iPhone; it's trying to get it together

EnExitStageLeft

@yaya24

Sho' do lol.

I usually add 1 tbs of a Silicone rich conditioner (silicones help slow down the relaxer process) and 1 tbs of a rich ceramide oil (usually wheat germ or grapeseed oil. No particular reason why, I just like em' alot :)) to one cup of Relaxer (in my case, Texturizer).

Also, @Saludable84 and @sweetome1 are right about how adding conditioner may affect the pH of the relaxer. However, depending on your wants this may work in your favor.
If you're gearing towards texlaxed hair this method (adding oil or conditioner or in your case both) can be extremely beneficial. The high PH of a relaxer is what causes the hair cuticle to lift and allow the chemical to process the hair straight. Therefore if you add oil or a ph balanced conditioner to the relaxer it will lessen the PH of that said relaxer. This causes it to process slower, hence the retention of texture.
Audrey Sivasothy, author of "The Science of Black Hair" (SistaSlick to us LHCF ladies)wrote a awesome article about it here: http://voices.yahoo.com/how-texlax-hair-simple-texlaxing-4823912.html?cat=69

Now, @Isis33

Now the amount of conditioner and oil will depend of 2 things:

1. The porosity of your hair and how it generally responds to chemical processes:

This means if...

• If you porous hair or hair that is highly susceptible to chemical processes (relaxer takes very easily) then you should use a "heavy" amount of both conditioner and oil, maybe 2 1/2 to 3 tbs of both.
  • If your hair is Low porosity or not susceptible to chemical processes (your hair is very resistant to relaxers) then I suggest you use only a "medium" amount of both, maybe 1 1/2 to 2 tbs.
  • If you hair is of normal porosity or hair that is neither extremely resistant or susceptible to relaxers (doesn't process extremely easy or process extremely slow) then you may want to use a small amount of both, maybe 1 tbs.
  • If you hair is of mixed porosity like myself (my hair is normal to high porosity) then you may just want to stick to the amounts between "small" and "medium", 1 to 2 tbs of both.

If you don't know your hairs porosity then I highly suggest doing the strand test. Here is a great blog post of it here: http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2013/01/junk-science-hair-porosity-tests-float.html.

Also, please keep in mind that damaged hair can often change the hairs porosity. So if you do utilize the strand test, please do so every couple of months because as the health of your hair improves the porosity of you hair may change. I experienced this first hand because my hair went from completely high porosity to mostly normal porosity for the very reason :).

2. The type of relaxer you use:

The amount can also be based of what type of relaxer you are using. For instance, If someone is using ORS Lye Relaxer she may have to less oil and conditioner of someone who is using Mizani Lye relaxer. Why? Well the potency of the relaxers will slightly differ due to the fact that one is a "salon" brand relaxer (Mizani) and one is a "store" brand ORS.

To learn you relaxers strength and straigthening power I suggest you either do a relaxer strand test (Here is a thread about it: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=82831). Or you can research the Relaxer on the forums, google and youtube to see what other have said about it. To be on the safe side I would suggest doing both.

Before setting the amount of both to use I suggest you take in account these factors and use them as a guideline. It'll help acheive your best results. Also, the oil and conditioner amounts are my personal measurements. Please feel free to adjust them to you liking.

Well...I seriously hope this wasn't to long winded :)lol:) and helped you in some way:).

Last edited:

Honey Bee

I add about 2 tsp of Aphogee 2 min. My hair is fine, 4a in the front, 4b in the back, some weird undecided texture in the nape. The result is hair that, when air-dried loose, looks similar to natural, blow-dried hair. I relax every 8-10 wks but only do the nape every other relaxer. (Over-processing in that area is how I ended up with a very pronounced 'W' :perplexed)

eta: I purposefully use Aphogee 2min to bring down the ph of my no-lye relaxer.

Last edited:

Isis33

@yaya24

Sho' do lol.

I usually add 1 tbs of a Silicone rich conditioner (silicones help slow down the relaxer process) and 1 tbs of a rich ceramide oil (usually wheat germ or grapeseed oil. No particular reason why, I just like em' alot :)) to one cup of Relaxer (in my case, Texturizer).

Also, @Saludable84 and @sweetome1 are right about how adding conditioner may affect the pH of the relaxer. However, depending on your wants this may work in your favor.
If you're gearing towards texlaxed hair this method (adding oil or conditioner or in your case both) can be extremely beneficial. The high PH of a relaxer is what causes the hair cuticle to lift and allow the chemical to process the hair straight. Therefore if you add oil or a ph balanced conditioner to the relaxer it will lessen the PH of that said relaxer. This causes it to process slower, hence the retention of texture.
Audrey Sivasothy, author of "The Science of Black Hair" (SistaSlick to us LHCF ladies)wrote a awesome article about it here: http://voices.yahoo.com/how-texlax-hair-simple-texlaxing-4823912.html?cat=69

Now, @Isis33

Now the amount of conditioner and oil will depend of 2 things:

1. The porosity of your hair and how it generally responds to chemical processes:

This means if...

• If you porous hair or hair that is highly susceptible to chemical processes (relaxer takes very easily) then you should use a "heavy" amount of both conditioner and oil, maybe 2 1/2 to 3 tbs of both.
  • If your hair is Low porosity or not susceptible to chemical processes (your hair is very resistant to relaxers) then I suggest you use only a "medium" amount of both, maybe 1 1/2 to 2 tbs.
  • If you hair is of normal porosity or hair that is neither extremely resistant or susceptible to relaxers (doesn't process extremely easy or process extremely slow) then you may want to use a small amount of both, maybe 1 tbs.
  • If you hair is of mixed porosity like myself (my hair is normal to high porosity) then you may just want to stick to the amounts between "small" and "medium", 1 to 2 tbs of both.

If you don't know your hairs porosity then I highly suggest doing the strand test. Here is a great blog post of it here: http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2013/01/junk-science-hair-porosity-tests-float.html.

Also, please keep in mind that damaged hair can often change the hairs porosity. So if you do utilize the strand test, please do so every couple of months because as the health of your hair improves the porosity of you hair may change. I experienced this first hand because my hair went from completely high porosity to mostly normal porosity for the very reason :).

2. The type of relaxer you use:

The amount can also be based of what type of relaxer you are using. For instance, If someone is using ORS Lye Relaxer she may have to less oil and conditioner of someone who is using Mizani Lye relaxer. Why? Well the potency of the relaxers will slightly differ due to the fact that one is a "salon" brand relaxer (Mizani) and one is a "store" brand ORS.

To learn you relaxers strength and straigthening power I suggest you either do a relaxer strand test (Here is a thread about it: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=82831). Or you can research the Relaxer on the forums, google and youtube to see what other have said about it. To be on the safe side I would suggest doing both.

Before setting the amount of both to use I suggest you take in account these factors and use them as a guideline. It'll help acheive your best results. Also, the oil and conditioner amounts are my personal measurements. Please feel free to adjust them to you liking.

Well...I seriously hope this wasn't to long winded :)lol:) and helped you in some way:).
EnExitStageLeft No, your message wasn't long winded! You was very informative and helpful and I thank you VERY much for your input. I might just stick to using oil and will definitely do a hair strand test next time (at the end of May). Since this slows down the relaxing capability, it will hopefully be less harsh on the scalp also....right?

I would also like to thank every one for their input on this post. I have never seen EVOO in the UK, but I'll keep an eye on it and in the mean time will use olive oil during my next conditioner.

EnExitStageLeft

@Isis33

I'm glad it could help:) and yes diluting your relaxer can help it be less harsh to the scalp. Also, just for the record EVOO is Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

mshoneyfly

I have been adding safflower oil to my texturizer (like 4 ounces) and also to the length of the hair. Last time I first applied nubian heritage dc to the hair shaft then the safflower oil along with pouring in the 4 ounces.

The results were great. I rinsed after exactly 12 minutes and now I have a very slight silky soft wavy texture. I cant wait to get rid of all the bone straight ends!

Flawlis1

I added pure Macadamia oil to my relaxer, and let it marinate overnight before applying. I did my relaxer yesterday (touch up only) and I feel that adding the oil may have altered the strength of the relaxer because my new growth did not come out as straight as normal, or it could be that I did not leave it in long enough. However, my hair felt great, and strong after the application, not the usual weak or rough feel it has after I relax.

bydebra

I added pure Macadamia oil to my relaxer, and let it marinate overnight before applying. I did my relaxer yesterday (touch up only) and I feel that adding the oil may have altered the strength of the relaxer because my new growth did not come out as straight as normal, or it could be that I did not leave it in long enough. However, my hair felt great, and strong after the application, not the usual weak or rough feel it has after I relax.

Was it no-lye relaxer? Did you mix it all up and then let it sit? I was always under the belief that once a relaxer is mixed (base and activator) it should be used immediately.

Either way, adding the oil does affect the strength. I don't add anything to my relaxers.

yaya24

simplydebra

Your hair is lovely!
How long do you stretch normally.
I just checked out your yt channel.
Blogs are difficult to navigate on my cell

Last edited:

mshoneyfly

Was it no-lye relaxer? Did you mix it all up and then let it sit? I was always under the belief that once a relaxer is mixed (base and activator) it should be used immediately.

Either way, adding the oil does affect the strength. I don't add anything to my relaxers.

simplydebra
flawless
Just cosigning! :) a no-lye needs to be used immediately after mixing. This what took away the straightening power. The oil just slows the process

bydebra

@simplydebra

Your hair is lovely!
How long do you stretch normally.
I just checked out your yt channel.
Blogs are difficult to navigate on my cell

Sorry for the delayed response! I normally stretch for 3-6 months. I'm pushing it this time...I'm currently at 7 months. Thanks so much for the compliment!

yaya24

EnExitStageLeft

Isis33

LOL! Girl its fine. I love haircare, but still lost when it comes to all the acronyms :lol:. So I completely understand and yes cooking extra virgin olive oil it good, maybe better if its a gourmet cooking oil. The potency of gourmet oils tend to be a bit my potent especially if they're certified organic and/or unrefined.

Aggie

I also use 1oz of sunflower oil and 1 TBSP of Keracare Intense Restorative Masque to 4 TBSP of Affirm fiberguard (mild, lye) relaxer for texlaxed hair (12 minutes from start to finish) and I love it this way.

My hair is not so curly, but then again, not so straight either. I am in a good happy place with the outcome of my texlaxer.

Last edited:

yaya24

simplydebra

Wow a year stretch!
Thats inspiring.

I'm going to see how I feel during/after my 24 week stretch and then I might try for a year at some point.

Isis33

I believe EnExitStageLeft also adds conditioner.

I plan on following her lead when I touch-up in 12 weeks... so if she adds conditioner + oil.. so will I.
Hi yaya24

So did you end up adding oil and conditioner? If so, how did it go?

I'm about to give it a try at some point today for my 1st ever attempt at a texlax with a few tbl spoons of EVOO and a tbl spoon of lekair cholesterol conditioner (green one). Please pray for me ;)

yaya24

Isis33

I have not touched up since my January 2013 virgin texlax.
Its been 17 weeks and my NG has not yet become a hassle to deal with.

Maybe its because I was natural for almost 4 years.. I know how to manage my NG unlike before.

My plan is to stretch until I feel like I "need" to tocuhup (ie: any breakage at the demarcation line, tangling, dreadlocks.. etc).

Right now I'm in box braids (I have 6 more weeks to keep them in).

yaya24

Good luck with your self texlax!!!
I'm sure you'll do fine.

What relaxer/texturizer are you using for your texlax?

NGraceO

I haven't read all the other comments, so I'm probably a repeater at this point: i feel safe adding oil, which is pH-less (new word lol) bs conditioner, which does have a pH. Wouldn't want to deactivate the relaxer from doing ita job....

Isis33

Good luck with your self texlax!!!
I'm sure you'll do fine.

What relaxer/texturizer are you using for your texlax?
yaya24

Thank you!

I used kiddies Organics no lye.

I slightly changed my plan and used 2.5 tbl spoons of safflower oil and a tbl spoon of elvive conditioner (cos it has silicons).

I also based my scalp and the length of my hair with Vaseline and proceeded to texlax (4 sections) in just over 12mins.

After rinsing out my concoction (lol) I gave my hair a 5min shot of AO protein/moisture balance before neutralising. Then deep conditioned after shampoo.

Even though the relaxer was considerably watered down, it still made my weak spit tingle as soon as the cream touched it so I had to rinse sooner than I would've liked.

It didn't really process the back middle part of my head - which is the coarsest part of my hair (like it did the rest of my head) since the regrowth there is now tight(ish) soft curls. However, it is a different texture to the coarse tight zigzag it was before. Apart from that, I'm happy with the results and will try to stretch until December :)

You're lucky that you can stretch so long with minimal problems. I WILL be contacting you for some tips on how to deal with the 2 textures when I feel like I can't handle it anymore (which will be in about 2 months, lol!)

Last edited: